Retireing in Brazil

From reading your blogs it seems several of you are living there while your papers are processed. I am wanting to retire in Brazil,and come there and live while I process my papers .Is this un reasonable to exspect.

No, that's what I'm doing in December. I'm married to Brazilian so pretty easy. Seems like I'm the only one on here shipping household goods...I will let everyone know how it works out once it's done. Estimated arrive of shipment 1st week of November.

Thanks for the reply ,please keep in contact as I have been scouring sites trying to get a estimate of cost to ship some stuff there .Or sell every thing and buy when I am there .  seems like there prices  are not that bad to justify a lot of shipping cost.I would really like to bring my car,It is in very good condition and I am afraid to take a chance buying one there since the roads are not very good . anxious to hear from you David Lee.

Do not bring a car, or anything with a gas engine. They will tax you too the moon. Cars are affordable there for most part unless you want high end type. I've got 8700 lbs heading that way. Will definitely give a run down of my costs when it's completed.

Hello David,

In order to come to Brazil and stay here while your application for "Permanencia Defiinitiva" based on retirement is being processed, you would need to first obtain a VITUR Tourist Visa. You would apply for that through the Consulado-Geral do Brasil and I believe that the one that has jurisdiction over Indianapolis is the Chicago Consulado.

Have you ever been to Brazil and spent an extended period of time here before? I would strongly recommend that before you make any decisions regarding taking up permanent residency here that you come here and spend at the very minimum three months. Brazil is not for everyone, and not everyone is cut out for living in Brazil. Also it would be advisable to do this no matter what country you decided to take up residence in. You never get to really know a country on just a short vacation.

Another recommendation I would strongly make is that no matter where you go, don't give up your present home, unload your furniture and make the jump to the other country. You'll find it really cost prohibitive to ship things to Brazil anyway and if you've burned your bridges behiind you back in the USA and find you've made a mistake in chosing Brazil that's going to be a very costly mistake.

At any rate, having checked all of the Federal Police and Ministry of Justice websites where information regarding permanency for individuals wishing to retire to Brazil was traditionally available, no longer have any links to this at all. You will need to contact the Consulado-Geral do Brasil and enquire if applications based on retirement in Brazil are still being accepted and how to go about applying. It looks like you may even need to apply through the Consulado before coming to Brazil.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Yes, you need to visit for a long period of time before making the leap. I'm keeping a car and RV in America just in case I need to jump back. Now a year later when I know it has worked out I will sell them. Life is different and can be harder in some cases. If you have no support there it will be extremely difficult. As of today the exchange rate is real nice but a year or two from now it could go the other way.

Just returned from 90 days in Belem, the prices are close to  USA for most items, it is a totally differant world in the North. I am planning on returning next year . I found the culture enlightening and the people to be fine ,  I was in Marimbia  and no problems with anyone .  I became fascinated with the food and daily shopping the heat was bearable for the time I was there visted June to September,  came back to sell what I can and work towards expatriate status.  It's a simple way of life and learning to speak the language is what it's about. I will be working on a blog in the future on living up North.