Do I need a will in Malaysia?

Hi All,

Myself and my family are moving to Kuala Lumpur in a few weeks and wonder if it's worth us setting up a will?
Being an islamic country would our assets be divided as such if something was to happen to my husband?

Thanks,
xxx

Only for Muslims. Civil law for non-Muslims

"Being an islamic country would our assets be divided as such if something was to happen to my husband?"

Only if you or your husband is a Muslim, the assets will be distributed in accordance to the Faraid Distribution Law.

If either one of you are non-Muslims, then its civil law.

NewToMalaysia wrote:

Hi All,

Myself and my family are moving to Kuala Lumpur in a few weeks and wonder if it's worth us setting up a will?
Being an islamic country would our assets be divided as such if something was to happen to my husband?

Thanks,
xxx

For Muslims, only 1/3 of the whole estate may be given away to non beneficiaries while the balance must be distributed in accordance with the Islamic Faraid Law, except where the lawful beneficiaries of the Testator agree otherwise. On the other hand, for Non Muslims, a person may determine the manner in which his/her entire assets were to be distributed upon his/her demise through a Will without any restrictions. Malaysia recognises the validity of international wills that relate to properties and assets owned by the testator in other parts of the world. However, it is highly recommended that a foreigner make a will in Malaysia under the following circumstances;They are living permanently in Malaysia and would be considered a ‘permanent resident' of Malaysia at the time of their passing; They own immovable properties in Malaysia (land and buildings, for instance).
You need to engage a solicitor to give you a concise definition to your circumstances.