Working as a freelancer in Romania

Hi,

A lot of expats dream of becoming self-employed: we would like to help you to make that dream come true.

Can foreigners work as self-employed in Romania? What are the formalities to work as a freelancer?

What are the pros and cons of this status: social security, tax system, etc.?

How is the freelance market in Romania?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Anybody residing legally in Romania can be a freelancer in theory.  To do so, one must register typically as PFA (Persoana Fizica Autorizata) or perhaps a Interprindere Individuala, to satisfy tax requirements and contribute to social insurance and other related issues.  Though being a foreigner, its also possible to be self-employed under your home country and file taxes in your country of citizenship, especially if you're from an EU country.  I'm not an expert on this by any means, I'm only speaking based on my observations and dealing with others.

In Romania, there are quite a lot of PFA's running around, and some can offer quite good service, but you really have to do your research on them and get references or proof of previous work.  A few that I've encountered are either rip-off artists, or they are a PFA because they're not good enough to be hired by a legitimate firm (their work is lousy, to put it nicely). 

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog