What do you like the most in Oman?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Oman?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Oman and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

If there is anything I admire about Oman is the political stability. No rebel insurgencies, unruly demonstrations and Hooliganism.  The political atmosphere is overwhelming.

Thanks to the bloody heat, am addicted to water and understand the value of it. Back at home, I would struggle to take it.I hated water but now  I can live on it.Dehydration is a serious problem here.

Oman is generally a calm atmosphere to raise kids, esp the youth. I come from a country where you can find over 20 bars and  discotheques in a small town. Society is too permissive, sometimes it affects the morals of the young generation who tend to focus entirely on such.

Good infrastructural development- the roads, the buildings, the unique flat topped houses, the magnificent mosques .
The energy system- power is always available,

Religious tolerance-  there is freedom of worship here.This is a Muslim state that accommodates all spiritual beliefs. Churches and temples in designated areas.

I have been to these places and I can testify- am not a Christian though but I love different experiences,  . Visited the catholic church twice, I was late for the hindu services thou.
Very remarkable

Hi

Oman is the best place to work and live

Rgd/Raju.
BEJV MC3 Project

The solitude, peace and quiet of the area I live in. I get up early in the morning, water the garden and listen to... the silence.  Of course going to the capital every now and then is nice, but driving away from Muscat on the way home, the wide open countryside reminds me why this country has become [more than] home for me.

I am a newcomer here, only been here a month. So far I am in lovemwith Oman! love the weather, beautiful plants and flowering shrubs, the well built road system with excellent lighting, it is pedestrian friendly, the natural landscape and animal life are absolutelly breathtaking, and the people are generally very pleasant, I am very happy I chose to come here. The only negative might be my terrible reaction to insect bites. I must be an exotics flavour!

gabbygail56 wrote:

I am a newcomer here, only been here a month. So far I am in lovemwith Oman! love the weather, beautiful plants and flowering shrubs, the well built road system with excellent lighting, it is pedestrian friendly, the natural landscape and animal life are absolutelly breathtaking, and the people are generally very pleasant, I am very happy I chose to come here. The only negative might be my terrible reaction to insect bites. I must be an exotics flavour!

Salalah is quite a cool place, you are very lucky. Muscat blazes like a fairytale Hell corner

I love living in Oman - it is my home away from home! There are so many advantages to living in this country.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links / groups / websites not allowed.

Oman is a best palace for work and enjoy oman pepole very very respectfull person

Oman is a best palace for work and enjoy oman pepole very very respectfull person

Mariamns wrote:
gabbygail56 wrote:

Salalah is quite a cool place, you are very lucky. Muscat blazes like a fairytale Hell corner

Heat is really horrible in Muscat during summer, but i will not exchange Muscat with Salalah.
Motorists are more disciplined in Muscat and have courtesy with other drivers and pedestrians, in Salalah, it is a different driving culture.
In terms of climate, Salalah is cooooool!
But overall, I love Oman!

Sleeping .

Oman security is very good. Oman is the best country in the world when it comes to security. ..and the omain are very friendly. ..they are good Muslims. .

People of Oman are the most beautiful part. They are humble, polite and have respect for others irrespective of your nationality or religion.
The country is also beautiful, very open and less polluted with wonderful deserts and beaches.

As one who has spent over 18 years working and living in Muscat, I can say with a certain amount of authority that od what I like most in Oman !

The pivotal reason for that has to be none other than the wise leadership and governing policies that have been laid down by His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said. May he live long.

Coming back to the question, life is mostly very peaceful here. No hustle or bustle (like for instance, in the neighbouring Dubai in the UAE). Things in Oman take their own sweet time to happen. There is nothing which can't wait until tomorrow, or the day after !

The roads are excellent. Yes currently massive road expansion works are going on almost all over town, so there is a certain amount of inconvenience, but once the works are completed, it would make life even smoother.

Those expatriates who stay here and constantly complain about the lack of nightlife, or throbbing entertainment options should stop complaining and quickly relocate to Dubai, which is well-known and world famous for that. Muscat / Oman is just not cut out for that kind of extravaganzas.

Muscat / Oman is predominantly a very quaint and traditional society where family life is given utmost importance. For the locals, family comes first naturally, before everything else.

Omanis by nature are very mild mannered and genuinely polite. They could perhaps be the best behaved lot amongst all their GCC country cousins. Okay, there could be some stray incidents where one might find the local youth a little brash and perhaps sometimes even rude. But such instances are few and far between and would be more an exception than the norm.

Muscat / Oman is full of expatriates. I am not getting into any statistics here. There is an overwhelming population of Indians, most notable from the South-Indian states. Disparity does exist between the Asian expatriates and the Western expatriates. But then it is a global malady. However, racism or discrimination based on the colour of the skin, nationality or religion does not happen anywhere - overtly.

Muscat is a very modern and a cosmopolitan city. Pretty much whatever one can enjoy in any of the world's most modern and cosmopolitan cities can be enjoyed here in Muscat as well – shopping, eating out, sightseeing, culture and heritage tours, et al. Perhaps the one thing big missing would have to be the nightlife options.

There are numerous pluses to living in Muscat / Oman – the high quality and standards of life, no power cuts, uninterrupted water supply (albeit desalinated), low crime rates, little or no poverty, no gross disparity between the rich and the poor, enough educational and medical options (though the quality is questionable), female and elders respecting culture where women and senior citizens are treated with regard and respect ...

Oman is a startlingly beautiful country. And Muscat lies in a valley surrounded by mountains and the sea. The setting of the city is stunning ! Oman being a coastal country has some of the region's finest beaches. Beaches that are unspoilt and unpolluted. The mountains are also magnificent. The desert regions have their very own charm and splendour. Down south in the Dhofar region, it is a world of its own, particularly during the summer showers season called the ‘Khareef' when the rest of the country and the region s well sweltering under the blistering summer sun. During the famous Khareef season Dhofar region will be engulfed in mist, with constant drizzles and rains soaking up the region !

Hi Christine,
We are now just over two months in Oman.
The first impressions were very good and this is our second posting so my family adjusted in a short time.The reason for this is that the way of living in Oman resembles the European life style.
You can find all the international food in the big hypermarkets.
Infrastructure is very good and the Omani's are friendly people.

I am here in Muscat since almost 11 yrs , we love Oman for simplicity of life, excellent roads, streamlined visa, Vehicle registration, Mulkiyat etc procedures, Locals are with very soft culture, we get very wide range of fresh fruits and veg, pulses etc easily, Indian schools are avilable which is very important as a Indian.  We go for campingg Hiking etc many places to go and so safe!

I too wish long and very healthy life for our  Sultan, I have very high regards, appreciation and Gratitude for him for his ability to develop such a atmosphere and overall development, specially respecting other cultures and giving them freedom to pray in thier own way.