What do you like the most in Latvia?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Latvia?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Latvia and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I love summers here as one can rely on best weather. I came because we lived in England and I met my wife whom is a Latvian national. Anita worked in UK for two years before I met her in Hereford main street asking for the tax office directions from the bus stop. I gave her a lift in my car and phone number if she wanted help in filling out the right forms I had advised her to take up.
I was a chief executive at a law firm and knew all about tax. We met up next day at luncheon time.From then on we kept in touch. Eventually she moved in at my house in the spare room. We talked of Latvia so often I arranged two weeks holiday to fly us over to Riga and stay at her house here. It was a great culture shock as the wooden house was sparse and she had split it up to house her son and his family. When I saw what they lived within it was poverty and she cried at my side. We saw quite a bit of the country that two weeks. From the coastal area to the Cities and a night in Riga hotel. I loved the market and the opera house. The old city area and came back to here house after that. She a wanted me to build us a house from an old barn attached. I thought it too big a job for my age group at 60 then but she informed me that Latvia was far far cheaper than UK. We flew back to my home and on internet worked out some of the build costs.
Two years later we arrived with plans  and after three years here are half built in a lovely landscaped two acre garden that had always been my dream as I love designing gardens for hobby back home. We are in need of an En-suite for our bedroom and a coat around the outside walls.We have all services now as nothing existed save a water well. It has been an expense on my behalf but we will finish ,we hope next spring with all done. I have no mortgage and now a British State Pension to live off.Anita has nothing but me. Winter is sorted with our new built cooker and radiators with a large warm wall heater Latvian style. I love cooking so my kitchen was the best I could afford. We love gardening and now I have a greenhouse we are deep in summer harvest as I speak. I love that fact that it is all chemical free.I keep a rare breed of hen for beauty and eggs. Building the hen house was fun and now we can breed our own show birds for hobby.
I have made friends here and so go out on occasion for drinks with them. Now I look back at all I have achieved here with certain pride and although pride be a sin I know all is well so why worry. I am parqueting the kitchen floor this week so wish me luck.
Thank God I am super fit even though I am tired out,too many fried eggs. Latvia is much more free than UK and taxation less. In UK one paid 1200 pounds sterling per year on Council tax for the house. I paid 43 pounds per month water rates TV license at 12 pounds per month to BBC and 27 pounds month internet cost. Food at 129 pounds per month and that was because i cooked and saved loads of cost. My monthly outgoings around 450 pounds in UK. Mind you I earned thirty thousand per year so i was rich. Here retired my pensions goes that much further and my outgoings around two hundred Euro per month for two of us. That is around 144 Pounds in UK. That makes Latvia my country and i love it so much I could cry.