What do you like the most in Hungary?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Hungary?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Hungary and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

What we like the most about living in Hungary is we can live off of just one SS check monthly and still save money.
The food is good and I love the buildings and the greenery.
We sort of got lured into buying in Hungary.
Had been coming off and on and staying for up to 6 months with my elderly MIL.
Had many things to do in the spring and summer months and then left Hungary every winter.
Had money set aside just to spend in Hungary for fun and never had to dress up for the cold.
Living here full time now and really don't enjoy the long winters as much as I thought I would.
I think for younger people there are many fun clubs and things to do but most older people here are either not able to afford to go out or they just don't feel like going out.
Sort of a drag to go out and notice you are a good 20 or more years older then everyone around you, things for senior people are very limited  here.
We'll see how long we stay in Hungary, really can't see myself getting elderly here, my husband is Hungarian and even for him it is not happening.
The city is hard as one ages and the countryside can also be hard in winter.
We like to follow the sun as we used to do. 6 months is enough every year here, bad side is as one ages they really don't like traveling as much and starting things anew.

The weather

Hungarian hospitality

The cost of living

Soproni beer !!

Magyar Lanyok :-O

Marilyn

May I suggest an house in the country, with Ground Source heatpump heating for underfloor toastiness, with solar panels & a wind turbine :-)

Oh, and an electric car

We're mostly there ...... winter, what winter - always looks great from in here :-)

Budapest is what Paris used to be in 1960s , plus modern conveniences. Can I afford to live in the center of Paris in 150 meter apartment in gorgeous 19 Century building? If I could, I'd be living there.

Better yet,spending the winter in Vegas!
Nearly 100 degrees F here this past few days.
Enjoy the cold in Hungary...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Better yet,spending the winter in Vegas!
Nearly 100 degrees F here this past few days.
Enjoy the cold in Hungary...

Plus you can be at Paris Paris buffet within minutes and then take gondola ride at Venice Venice.

I'm sorry but a miniature replica of the Eiffel Tower in Vegas does not turn it into Paris.That's like saying a $25.95 blow up sex doll is like the real thing.

True but as the saying goes, there's nothing like the real thing! Much rather see the real France and Italy again.
I lived in Vegas for 14 years and after the first year never went to the Strip. So much more to Vegas then gambling, drinking and parties.
Nice to be back for a short time, catch up with old friends and maybe even win a few bucks( not really likely but one can dream!)
Planning on working for a short spell for fun in the entertainment industry of Vegas, have several job options open here and I never even looked for work.
In fact I have hardly left the house due to jet lag, only been in town for 5 days and already offered 3 different jobs from old friends.
Great place to pick up seasonal work, money to spend next summer in Hungary!!
So easy to do things here like find a job where as in Hungary it seems harder all the time, I may be wrong, never actually looked for work in Hungary.
I sort of doubt though that in HU a 60 year old women would be recruited for work dealing with the public. Seems older people in HU are not even seen let alone wanted for their skills.
Off to the Wynn this Sat. night to see family, guess I will party in Vegas after all...

Sex Doll? You really would enjoy Vegas!!
Funny!

Exactly,the wonderful buildings in Hungary are a huge reason I can not let go of living there.
To me one of my fave pass times is walking the blvds. in Budapest looking at buildings and discovering something new every time I see the same building, more details then I noticed before.

:) Budapest is fantastic. I can see and do something different everyday. My apartment cost one third of my uk apartment and is three times bigger.
Sitting on the balcony across the quad, I can people watch all evening and its just like being in a Hitchcock movie , rear window!
In the countryside, so much space and once I get through my gate I see no one and hear no one. The people at the local shops and in the village centre are friendly and helpful. Everyday basics are cheap and I spend little. Public transport costs pennies.
I can do what I like on my own patch of land and in the cottage. It could be anywhere rural but I couldn't afford anything like it in the UK because 7 acres with a cottage and outbuildings here costs  the same as renting a parking space for a year in southern England.

I agree with my buddy Ann,
the prices for us "foreigners" is reasonable and we get more for our money then we do in our home countries.
I am in the states visiting and have spent more in the grocery store for a few snacks then we usually spend for a week of good food in Hungary.
Of course the sun is shinning here in NV and we can still take a dip in the pool since it's hot outside even at this time of year.
For now the prices in Hungary are great with western income,hard to predict the future though.