What do you like the most in China?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in China?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in China and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

cheap food, cheap lodging, cheap ciggie and nice chinese food. large country to explore from tibet to inner mongolia.

As counter intuitive as it may sound, I enjoy the freedom here.

Coming from Canada, where there is a growing number of rules and people you can offend (PC gone nuts), China is a breath of fresh air.  Along with the sense of personal freedom, the opportunity here is amazing.  There are so many business opportunities, anyone interested in starting a business should consider (small town) China.

I am also thrilled that my children will spend the next 2-3 years learning to speak Chinese.  A highly worthwhile tool in the years to come.

While not perfect, China has been wonderful to our lives and has become a great fit for this part of our lives.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links / groups / websites not allowed.

I love staying in Shenzhen and Sichuan. The are too much varieties of food to select and the conveniences of ordering food from home. The people there are very nice and happy to welcome you every time when sees you.

I moved to Zhoushan in China in November 2014 to live with my Chinese wife.
Having met a number of new and interesting people many of whom I now consider as good friends.
The way in which I have been accepted into the local community has been extremely surprising given that my limited ability to speak mandarin. They have taken me under there collective wing to help and guide my transition from a foreigner to being treated as a local.
As there are few western people living on the island at times I am looked at by strangers an a novelty but generally am accepted well.
As I have tried to treat everyone with the utmost respect the same has been afforded to me.
Having travelled to several major cities including Beijing, Chongqing and Shanghai I have been treated with the greatest hospitality and respect one could imagine. Where this is due to the fact that my wife is Chinese and she is able to bridge the cultural gap in assisting with my transition may play a large part in my acceptance.
I also have been willing to try to embrace the culture and customs as best as possible.
Having said that I still receive a number of strange looks as a grey haired average sized Australian who is in his 50's slightly larger than most Chinese. This is both from children and adults alike. But when I receive the odd look I will try to say hello in both mandarin and English and this usually breaks the ice.

Mark

Living among Happy and hospitable people eating the best food in the world

Showing my air ticket at Ground Control in Pudong airport
Whoosh!

The Beijing English financial advisers,

Spending life in Universities and Language Schools, it may seem a little "sheltered" from the real hustle and bustle of "real" downtown events.

Being from the UK, I am a big guy [1.90m/95.5 kgs] and often get stares, particularly when shopping or out with a Chinese girl - or both !!

But in the last 3 years I have found -

1. How willing EVERYBODY seems to be to try and help you.

2. How happy EVERYBODY seems to be irrespective of how menial their daily pursuits may be considered to be by us.

3. EVERYBODY has played a part in making my stay here so welcoming and enjoyable; I hope I have reciprocated a little by improving the English spoken by those I have encountered.

God bless you all.

that's an easy one for me- my wife!! And Gfeat Wall,and ancient city of Li Jiang!!!  Kim P.-

I  have been here for 10 years,
Its a family friendly place, everyone kind and polite and always willing to help.
You can definitely save 75% of your monthly earnings and very comfortably live on the 25%.

Greetings Mark,

I read your blog., interesting. Can we talk more? The way you identified yourself is a reflection on me(age as well) and I am thinking about a position in Beijing China.

Kindest Regards,

Greetings,

Is there someone I can talk to about teaching at a Montessori School Beijing China?

Hi I enjoyed your life story living in china
I am about to move there and live in Yanyang in Henan province with my wife to be who is Chinese
What visas do I need once married to live in china I live Austria now
I have job as well in Yanyang
Thanks for your advise
John

Hi Mark,
I am currently looking out for expats living in Zhoushan area.
I am sourcing for locals or expatriates whom is able to deliver a daily living presentation on Zhoushan.
Can you help? Thanks!

Mardiana Hi,
I would be delighted to assist, though my circumstances are possibly a little different to the average expat

Mark