Cost of living in Dominican Republic

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Dominican Republic.

Don't forget to mention where in Dominican Republic you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Dominican Republic?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

accomodation from 200 to 20000peso per month:)
generally for place that you can normally live you will pay around 6000peso
food local is cheap
buses cheap
everything cheap
cinema???? you should open cinema:) in sosua

Hi David, this is Mireia from Barcelona.
I would like to ask you information about living and working in Sosua.
I'm a yoga and contemporary dance teacher and my partner is an English teacher.
Thank you.

Here is a general idea for the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete) in USD (currently $1 = 36 pesos)
How much does it cost to live in Dominican Republic?

> accommodation prices: Depending on where and what ammenities you want between $200-$1500/month

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...): Moto = less then $1, public cab $1, pubic van (gua-gua) $1-2 depending on distance traveled

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?). Again depends on what you eat and if you use local products. For thte two of us plus house staff (lunch only) about $100-150 a week.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance): Local insurance is about $20 a month.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay): For private school between $45-75 a month

> energy prices (oil, electricity): Gas about $3.80 a gallon. Electricity is very expensive and will be $75-200 depending on if you use the Air conditioner a lot.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)Internet = $65/month, cable TV = $15=20/month, mobile phone varies on plan used, for us about $40/month, Land line ?

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant: Dinner for two with a drink or two can range from $20 -100 depending on restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub: Beer $1.50 - $3, Coffee $2 - $3

> price of the cinema.  Never been to the one  in PP here sorry

Bob K

Thanks Bob for the information.
Could you tell me about salaries as an expat? my husband would teach English in a school or we might work in tourism.
My parner is a golfer and wants to know how much it costs to play around or for a membership.