Confused and Frustrated

Not sure where is best for us to live -- that's the type of trustworthy info. we need.  We really want to know if we can/should liquidate and go to DR lock, stock and barrel.  We are booked to be in Punta Cana for 2 weeks in Feb and wouldn't mind spending a day or 2 furthering our education/understanding.

Planner, since you have lived on both sides, north and now south, perhaps you can offer some pros/cons of each??  You also seem to indicate knowledge of insurance.  Are you versed in health insurance and, if so, what info. do you have about health insurance for pre-existing conditions.

Bob, since you are well acquainted with the north, perhaps you can steer us to a specific area?  If the ocean, weather, lack of hurricanes are better on the south side, what makes the north side desirable??

We have been reading a lot lately and the info. in some cases seems to be contradictory, for instance:
- don't rent a car and drive (well then how do we, on our own, check out different areas)
          - (not that we would know where to go, where it's safe to go alone, etc.)
- don't go to gated communities, they're often targeted for robbery
- even with 24 hr. guard, often guards are in on a robbery, etc.

And the list goes on

Not sure I'm using this site properly -- why do my posts wait an hour before going thru???  (first time being part of a blog)

Thanks so much for your efforts to help us -- it really is appreciated!!

You are doing great. Tomorrow I will write you a lengthy response.

First to help us, tell us what you and your family are looking for? Describe the lifestyle you want, what is important to you? What will your life look like?  This will help us provide you with info.

Maybe I can put in my 2 cents. Although I am not a veteran of the island yet I did spend 3 weeks last May on the North coast. I rented a car for the first week but found it did not handle some of the country roads so I changed for a SUV. It is no different driving there than anywhere else. Make some adjustments in your driving and you will do fine. I could not see myself exploring the island without transport. I rented a beautiful apartment in Cabrera with a ocean view. We covered the north coast from Samana to Sosua. From what I have seen Sosua or Cabarete is where I will focus my next visit. The reason why I chose those 2 places is due to my Spanish language skills which is in the very early stages of understanding. Keep reading the posts from the island experts and you will soon get an idea where you would like to start.

Ok I am working on my second cup of fresh ground and brewed Induban coffee and the eyes, brain and fingers are functioning (some parts better than others)

First a couple of questions for you:
Have you been to the DR before and where?
Where have you thought about relocating to?
What kind of life style/housing are you looking for?
What kind of budget (rough estimate) will you have?
Will you have to work to support your living here?

Ok now some answers.
Coming to Punta Cana and a fairly sterile environment at the resorts has absolutely NO connection with living here.   Punta Cana is a resort area.

We are on the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete) area and have been here full time for over 9 years. There is a large Expat community, from all over the world, and a good mix of locals, Expats and tourists.  It is a good mix for us, but not everyone's cup of tea

Renting a car and driving.  There really is not much to drive to in the PC area and you will be better off with cabs and buses. Driving here is expensive and very dangerous.  In fact recently earned the distinction as the most dangerous place in the world to drive.  I would not recommend it for a first time visitor.

We live in a gated community and as for safety depending on the community it will be the safest area for you and your family.  Yes everywhere can be “robbed” but your chances are much less in a gated community.  Most condo complexes also have pretty good security system.  Most Expats (or at least a majority) do live in gated communities.  Ours is a mix of Expats from all over the world as well as some local Dominican families.  Living out on your own in a “local community, depending on your language skills, personality, and luck can be a risky business.  Again some do.  Also your amenities will be reduced here (less electricity, water, internet, cable etc). And yes sometimes the security folks can be the problem but again it depends on where you live.  In our neighborhood we have had two robberies in the 8 years we have lived here and both were done by the maid's brothers.

We were involved in real estate for many years here and certainly know the area and people.  I always advise to find where you want to live, go there and rent for a few months (maybe for a year) and then decide if the DR is right for you before you purchase any property.  Not everyone (we did not  :D  ) does it this way.

Keep reading and please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Good luck

Bobk

Let me weigh in this morning,  no coffee yet but I've been up since 2 am,  I hope I am coherent.

Punta Cana -  I disagree with Bob on the driving there.  Things are so spread out that  ONCE you live here you will want a vehicle.  Driving there is NOT as bad as some areas.  However while visiting take a taxi - get the lay of the land and get some basic spanish before tackling driving. 

Punta Cana is expensive and full of expats. In my opinion it isn't a real Dominican experience. BUT that may be exactly what you are looking for.  IT all depends what YOU want.

In Punta Cana it is mostly gated  communities and apartment buildings.  Not much other choice.

I am not a fan of gated communities but they are right for some people.  I prefer to live in Dominican communities. I am a single female and never had a break in or an issue with any outsider!   Touch wood it continues.  However let me tell you about workmen walking off with my friggin tools again.......... (another post).....

Yes I am well versed on health insurance.   Pre existing conditions will be excluded for at least a period of time and maybe forever.   We will likely need a private conversation when you are ready to discuss it. 

One big difference in this country is the geography -   North Coast is more rugged,  Atlantic Ocean, stunning beaches,  what they call mountains here (sorry we have real ones in Canada LOL)   and usually lots of green.

South  coast is more flat - it is  the Caribbean Sea, not rugged but more of those post card beaches,  less green, less interesting in many ways.   

Our advice is really going to depend on what you say you want out of life here.   I can speak for many of us on here,  we are very happy with our lives. Get us all in a room (good idea) and our stories are very very different as are our lives!!!

I love the north coast -  I spent 7 years there. I have come to appreciate the south coast as well.

Stan, Bob, Planner -- you guys are awesome!!  Thank you so much.
You've given us lots to think about and to discuss between us.  Next couple of days are crazy around here, but will answer your questions soon.  Your help is invaluable!!

Great blog; have been reading a lot since joining a few weeks ago. Am learning a lot and really looking forward to posts especially those of groby, gypsy, and of course Bob K and Planner. My wife and I; both mid 60 s are planning to move there to retire within 1 -  3 years. We are sure to find something; volunteer work, dancing for my wife, go to the beach to get connected to the community and enjoy the DR life. Our August all inclusive trip to Punta Cana was our first in the DR. We like the area and have been looking at housing around the Punta Cana  and also La Romana. Either area will suit us but we will be going back hopefully next year and possibly visit the north coast, then make another trip and stay there for several months to see if we really like to move. We are looking at houses/condos for sale (do not see many for rent) and think that prices are very reasonable compared to Virginia, USA.  Bob, if you don't mind can you let me know what you mean (we did not - ). Does it mean you did not purchase a house/condo? We are thinking about renting to avoid the trouble of selling when the time comes. Doing something in DR requires a lot of paperwork. Also, what is your international health insurance company again. Saw it but can't find it anymore. We are over 65 so will not qualify for the DR insurance.

"We were involved in real estate for many years here and certainly know the area and people.  I always advise to find where you want to live, go there and rent for a few months (maybe for a year) and then decide if the DR is right for you before you purchase any property.  Not everyone (we did not  :D  ) does it this way."

Thank you and have a nice day!

Bones you are welcome and I will wait for further questions.

Have a great day

Bob K

Aris yes spending time renting and exploring is the way to go.

What I meant by "we did not" was that we bought a piece of property 2 days after arriving.  Not the recommended way to go..  However it did work out for us.  I should point out that we had looked at property and most of the Caribbean islands, Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Fiji, Tahiti and on and on.  The DR just felt right.

You need to purchase our policy before 65 as well but you can Google "Clements international insurance" and see what they say.  Now that I am over 65 they continue to reissue my insurance and in fact this year (turned 65 we got a 3 year renewal). 

Medicare however pisses me off as I have to purchase Part B at $106 a month even though I have a much better policy than Medicare.  In fact they told me that I was employed and my employer provided me with the exact same plan that I would not need to purchase part B. But because I pay for the premiums I do not qualify.  Go figure... Another example of Government "out to help you"

Bob K

Bob, I really appreciate the quick reply. I was told during our visit that now would be the time to buy a house because prices are significantly lower compared to several years ago. If only we could make a decision now that would be great. However we want to make sure. Fortunately there are a lot of bloggers like you who is helping and guiding us. Sorry for the part B. I will include the amount when budgeting for health insurance. We are over 65 so the health insurance premium will put a big dent in our budget. Will continue reading the posts to learn how to live at DR and thank you again for your invaluable help. Aris

Don't let anyone pressure saying crap like that, it's a sales tactic.  Buy when it's right for you!

Who ever is pressuring you ...tell them to take a hike and get rid of them.  The market here really never saw a huge reduction in prices but there is an increase in inventory.

DO NOT jump at a "sale that is too good to be true" or "wont last long".  Take  your time and do your homework.

Bob K

FYI  Bob is a Doctor who became a real estate professional here!  He knows what he is talking about!

Thanks for the plug Planner :D

Bob K

I call it like I see it Bob,  for everyone!   I am not always right but I try to be fair.

You may not always be right, but I know you are never wrong :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Boy I am feisty today!

Yes you are..............

Bob & Planner; great advice as expected. Not only are you very knowledgeable and knows your subject very well but you really care for the welfare of members, which is greatly appreciated. Aris

Thanks  we appreciate the appreciation.....  :D

Can anyone give me any information on the Lake Taveraz/Bao area and the homes around it? Looks nice in the pictures like maybe we can get our 'ocean view' and still live inland?

Ar1s thanks we try

Bob K

geneim sorry I don't know the area

Bob K

From our experience, living full time in DR for 10 years, I wouldn't buy anything right away. Just come and live here for a while, travel around the island and see what part of the country you like the best. Of course you won't find out in 2 weeks! We lived 2 years on the north coast in Cabarete and almost bought a place there and good thing we didn't. After traveling around a bit we moved to the south coast (Bayahibe / Dominicus - 15 minutes from La Romana city) and for the place we rent, it doesn't make even sense for us to buy a place. So consider all the options before you commit to anything.

Denise

That is a great point Denise.  What I pay for rent here is ridiculously  low compared to buying!

I can share with u my experience .Seven girlfriends and I found a villa in Casa Linda in Sosua.It had 4 bdrm and 3 full bthrm.,large kitchen,dr,beautiful pool.it was in a gated community and it was AMAZING.The guards were always present equipped with visible guns.At first it took some getting used to but overall we felt very safe.We rented a car and drove to the beach in Sosua everyday.it was about a 10 min drive from the villa.we also ventured out and engaged in other activities on the island.the furthest we drove was about 40 min.I wasnt so concerned with driving but u definately need to be an experienced,aggressive driver.not for the faint of heart or novice ,scared driver.you will be fine.Have fun

Can someone provide a good link to condo/villas for rent in Cbarete/Sosua & Romana/Bayahibe / Dominicus   ??  Most of the ones online are vacation rentals (day/week rates ) Thank you !!

You  wont find much online that is not expensive and tourist related.  There is a facebook group called: Clasificados Bavaro  that often  has  rentals available. There are other groups:  Everything Cabarete   Everything Puerto Plata 

You might want to try those groups.

Thank you Planner !!  I'll check those !!

Excellent!!!!

Demi some great advice.  We  however fell in love the Cabarete/Sosua area and have not looked back for a second over the last  9+ years

Bob K

Fromblahtomuah glad you had a great time.  We live right up the road from CL and have multiple clients who have bought property there.

Bob K

Rio check out these sites for rentals in Cabarete and Sosua.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/everythingcabaretemag/https://www.facebook.com/groups/553624054683754/https://www.facebook.com/groups/463964753636031/

lots of stuff at these sites including some very reasonable rentals

Bob K

Thank You Bob  !

You are welcome

Bob K

Facebook groups are sure taking off.............  excellent!

House prices are going up 1-4 percent a year for the last 5 years.
That's here in Cabrera.