Studying Spanish at a UNIVERSITY?

I have surfed the forums, and cannot seem to find any specific information on Universities in Quito, for example, that might offer Spanish as a second language, or conversational Spanish. Does anyone happen to have any information or links? I have the (daunting) list of universities posted in these forums, but it would take considerable time to research all of them (it looks like a couple dozen alone in Quito!)

The more I think about moving to Ecuador, the more I like the idea of starting off there with a solid, longer term  Spanish training program, perhaps ultimately leading to a DELE certification (some day).  At this point, I prefer the university route. Any comments or suggestions most welcome!

Cold Canada wrote:

Spanish as a second language, or conversational Spanish.... I like the idea of starting off with a solid, longer term Spanish training program, perhaps ultimately leading to a DELE certification.  At this point, I prefer the university route. Any comments or suggestions most welcome!

I suggest a two-part approach, Cold C.

First, study for a month at a school a rung below the university level, such as the Yana Puma Spanish School* in either Quito or Cuenca.  The universities' offerings typically may be too advanced to enter cold-turkey for someone looking for Spanish as a second language.

During that month (or more) of Spanish immersion, possibly staying with a local family at one of the school-sanctioned private homes, you can personally research/network/visit the university programs.

At some point, you would decide when you are ready to enter a university program .. or pursue Spanish learning in some other way that is best for you.

Most of the members of this Ecuador forum are not attending university-Spanish courses.  But when you get to Ecuador and look for it, you'll get all kinds of input, reviews and recommendations assisting you to find your best path to good Spanish .. from Expats and locals alike.

*resource... www.yanapumaspanish.org

cccmedia in Quito

Catolica University in Quito offers Spanish classes.

This might need to be a new topic, but here goes:
What are items a gringo might be familiar with in English that are commonly called something unexpected in Ecuador?
For example, today in Gringo Tree, I learned that what we call "sweet potato" is "camote amarillo" in Ecuador. What other colloquial names should we be aware of when shopping (especially for food items)?

We did translations on ten fruits .. later ten vegetables .. and also translations of local-market interactions at this forum's español for Gringos thread.

On the other Spanish-language-teaching thread, Shortscuts to español, we're currently doing a series called False Friends .. showing words that may confuse Gringos:  what they think the word means, what it actually means and related tips.

You're right, Dorothy, this thread about universities is a different topic, so please visit español for Gringos ... and Shortcuts to español.

cccmedia in Quito