180 day visit

As a U.S. citizen, how do I visit for a 180 day period?

What is the longest I can stay with just a passport?

You  get your 180 day visa at the point of entry.
You will need to renew it every 180 days.  You leave the country for 3 days and then reenter.  I have been doing this since 2006 but the need to leave for 3 days is recent rule.  For the first 7 years I just renewed it at the border where I entered..  Things are a little different now.  I have never had any other kind of visa.  I get my 180 day visa by presenting my passport. 
I pay about $25 US  to renew.  I have never had any questions or problems.
Hope this helps.  Works for me.

I would not plan on staying more than 72 hours without a 180 day visa.

Last weekend at the Talisman border crossing with Guatemala: Went to get my exit stamp on the Mexican side,produced my passport but forgot to bring my tax recipt for the previous six months.was told i could not leave Mx without It.I then informed the lady I only wanted to leave and come straight back for visa purposes.No problem,she stamped my passport for another six months there and then.Payed my tax and went home.So,its worth asking if there is any way they can give you another six months without having to leave the country.They obviously can.Depends on the agent I guess.Six months ago I left Mx for One hour.Exit at Talisman get a taxi to tacum uman re enter at Hidalgo

The first four years I was in Playas, and got a new 180 visa, my passport was never stamped. I just paid the fee and got a receipt.  I think they started stamping my passport in 2010.

I don't know of anyone having a problem, but...
There is no requirement that they issue it forb180 days.  If they do not, politely ask they change it to 180.  If they won't.  You're stuck with coming back at the expiration of wharever period they gave.

Thanks.

You do not have to leave for 3 days nor 3 minutes. You can hand in one FMM and get another at same time. In a very few cases expats have been told you are living continuously in Mexico and go and apply for a TR visa. The last one I know of happened this year at Nuevo Laredo. The man went to Laredo to MX consulate and was pre-approved for a TR visa.

Happy Independence Day

Sonia

gudgrief wrote:

I don't know of anyone having a problem, but...
There is no requirement that they issue it forb180 days.  If they do not, politely ask they change it to 180.  If they won't.  You're stuck with coming back at the expiration of wharever period they gave.

If they don't, you can go to an INM office and request an extension up to the 180 day mark. Of course, It'll cost you.

There is an inm office here in Coatzacoalcos.Would it be possible to get another 180 days there,rather than traveling to the Guatemalan border ?

No. You can not renew or get a new visitante at any INM office. Only at the boarder.

Thanks Joaquínx

Not true. You must return to the border.

Sonia

Sonia Diaz Ortega , "You do not have to leave for 3 days nor 3 minutes. You can hand in one FMM and get another at same time."
You are not entirely correct.
You better be in Belize for at least 3 days if you want to use that border. Both the Mexican side and the Belize side will refuse to renew if you have not. Many people have tried to just cross and come right back. Some of the borders have noticed that, and demanded 3 days. I was 2 hours short of three days, and the only way I could return to Mx was to grease a palm with 600 pesos. Next time I stayed a week and had no problem. Some of the borders have made an issue about the revolving door habit.

As a temporary and now permanent resident, I have never had this particular problem.  From what I have read from people all  over Mexico, everything to do with immigration depends a lot on local autonomy.  The rules and their application vary a lot from one border crossing and INM office to another.

My Residente Permanente came back in 4 working days.  I understand it takes longer, a lot longer in some places.

There is no law stating 3 days but if someone is on a power trip then one never knows.

saludos

Sonia

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

There is no law stating 3 days but if someone is on a power trip then one never knows.

saludos

Sonia

If there's anything consistent about INM, it's inconsistency.  Each official or office is like an empire of its own.
It has gotten a lot better in recent years but...

If you are only going within the approx 20 mile area along the border you do not need a visa. If you plan on going beyond, at the border, if entering by foot or vehicle stop at MX immigration (INM) present your passport and request a Visa Turista. At the discretion of the officer up to 180 days can be authorized. They will give a potion of the form you filled out. This is the visa. DONOT lose it. You will have to return it when you depart MX. Steep fines. During your stay you will also have to pay the visa fee. INM does not collect fees. You have to go to a bank and pay in cash 190 pesos.(Approx   $12 at current rate) Keep receipt to show when you exit that you paid. If you enter MX via air,the airline will give you the form to fill out. Present to immigration. Keep portion to give when you return. The visa fee is prepaid in your airfare.
Visa Turista is not renewable nor can be extended,  nor can you apply for a different class of visa while in MX

You can pay the visa fee at the inm at the border,I did it last week.Although the tourist visa is not renewable there is no problem handing in the visa that is set to expire and purchasing a new one for another 180 days right there and then.

@stinkyboy1, first, I love your handle, it just cracks me up everytime I see it.
Are you now or planning on marriage to a Mexican citizen? If so, the whole 180 day thing doesn't apply. You should be getting your citizenship.

Hey how is everything in Veracruz? I think I remember seeing something about a mudslide or other natural disaster?

Hey terter,no,im not planning on getting married.I have been single for so long and set in my ways.I dont mind the twice yearly trip to the border.It gets me out of Coatzacoalcos for a while.There is a natural disaster about to happen,The monsoon season.3000 mm of rain for the next six months.

Interesting discussion. The situation does seem fluid. Several years ago when my 180 days were almost up (I always get 180) I was in Campeche headed towards Belize. I went into Immigracion there and a very attractive female officer told me sweetly that I only needed to stay out for an hour! Not even that! So has that changed? Unofficially? Sonia says there is no law! Crazy, just plan a little trip out I guess, to be on the safe side. I had thought of spending a couple of days in the country but I ended up getting invited to Guatemala to house sit so I just traversed Belize and went on to Guatemala.Therefore I never tested the situation. However I was advised NOT to say to the Belize officials that I was just there for a visa run! Rather insulting to them! The tax is complicated, I went through a discussion here and on a FB forum about it. It is normally included in airfare but no one mentions it. One would really have to read the fine print. I did not know that and there was a big conversation about the exit tax (by land). I was told here I was getting scammed. However it seems it is designed to be a visa tax. If one is planning to arrive by air and exit by land, it is better to ask the airlines for proof. The exit taxi is only required on the southern border, people exiting towards the States never pay it. (That is why I was told I was scammed). From what people say here, it seems like a bit of a mess. It would be great if someone could find out what the LAW actually SAYS! hah:) However, getting 180 days then only having to leave for a short period of time is such a good deal compared to what many other countries in the world out you through it is hard to complain. It is really very relaxed and generous, believe me!

Just curious.
You pay about $25 for the 180 day visa?
Then you pay an exit tax?  How much?
What's the total cost for doing that twice?

Isn't that getting close to what is costs for residente temporal?  And you renew 3 times, once a year and that's it, you go residente permanente and that's the last set of fees.

What are the pro's and cons besides the not owning a car brought in on a tourist permit?

Same deal down here in Costa Rica. Except only 90 Dias. Lv for 3 days. Panama re enter

gudgrief wrote:

Just curious.
You pay about $25 for the 180 day visa?
Then you pay an exit tax?  How much?
What's the total cost for doing that twice?

Isn't that getting close to what is costs for residente temporal?  And you renew 3 times, once a year and that's it, you go residente permanente and that's the last set of fees.

What are the pro's and cons besides the not owning a car brought in on a tourist permit?

If you don't qualify for a residente temporal, the FMM Visitante permit the the best option.
There is no "exit fee/tax". There is the fee for the FMM. The Belize border is a scam designed for tourists who fly in with the fee prepaid on their air ticket. They wish to visit Belize but don't know how to prove that the fee was paid.

Have not heard many good reports on Belize. No wish to visit the place

Ah yes, I forgot about the minimum income requirement.  You can live down here for a good bit less.

I just moved to Coatepec so I guess we're sort of neighbors.

Would you know if there's a bus from Coatepec that gets close to the INM office in Xalapa?

It is not a "scam" if the person did not pay the entry tax. What is FMM? And the qualifications for residente permanente? It cant be just to fork over $50? Gudgrief, I hope Coatepec is going well!

gudgrief wrote:

Ah yes, I forgot about the minimum income requirement.  You can live down here for a good bit less.

I just moved to Coatepec so I guess we're sort of neighbors.

Would you know if there's a bus from Coatepec that gets close to the INM office in Xalapa?

Welcome to the area.

There is the maroon bus that you catch on 16 de Septempre that goes to Sauces then up Ignacio de la Llave then up Avila Comacho to Rotunda. It doesn't go  near to Revolution. The bus from the bus station in Coatepec goes to Sauces only. Best bet is to get off at Sauces and take a taxi which should cost no more than 25 pesos. Ask to go to the Iglesia católica El Calvario at the corner of Calle Libertad. The INM office is across the street from the school which is next to the church.

Since there are few expats in the area, we must stick together. I'm free just about anytime.

Of all the INM offices that I have read of, this one is the best. Great people and very helpful.

No, of course not.  It's about 3000 pesos after 4 years as a temporary, but that's the last time you pay a fee.  and it's the last time you renew.  But you do have to meet income requirements of $1,000 to 1500/mo for those 4 years.  I've forgotten the exact requirements.

Thanks.

I'll probably do it towards the 15th.

I'll let you know and maybe we can have a cup of coffee.

jeanfinney wrote:

It is not a "scam" if the person did not pay the entry tax. What is FMM? And the qualifications for residente permanente? It cant be just to fork over $50? Gudgrief, I hope Coatepec is going well!

You'll have to re-read my post. I was writing about those who don't realize that they have paid the fee (it is not a tax). Seriously, if you don't know what an FMM is, how do you know if it is a scam or not?

I thought it was more like $2000, I think there was a discussion here a bit back. If you cant meet the requirement, you have to do the tourist visa thing! Which is all I have done or can do. Almost every country has some kind. And there are guards in offices with uniforms who give receipts. If it were a scam it would have been busted long ago! Enjoy Veracruz!

Here's a link from Fodors.  should be reliable.
http://www.fodors.com/world/mexico-and- … es-2678286