Considering moving to Egypt

What is it like for a non-Egyptian, Catholic woman to be in Egypt with my 5 year old son ? What is the medical system like ? Son has severe allergies.

Welcome to Expat-blog, BMW :)

Your discussion has been moved to the Egypt forum for effective communication and networking.

Regards,
Sheetul

bmw wrote:

What is it like for a non-Egyptian, Catholic woman to be in Egypt with my 5 year old son ? What is the medical system like ? Son has severe allergies.

Your religion should not be a problem. Your main concern should be your boy's health, if his condition is really severe: health system in Egypt is unreliable, at best.

Generally speaking Egyptian doctors are highly qualified and professional but hospitals and nursing are below standard. In an emergency, most people will use their own transport to get to ER as this is quicker than calling and waiting for an ambulance (at least in Cairo).

On the other hand, you can often buy medicines over the counter with no prescription, this can be a plus if you know exactly what you are looking for.

To enroll your child in an international school will probably be no problem. But I think in a national or language school the father or (male) guardian has to do that.
I think that Cairo will be bad for his allergies. Red Sea area probably will be better.
Check this topic: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35886

hello bmw,

as they said religoin is no problem at all as you will find lots of catholic chueches here , but you have to mention your sons - bless him - allergy of what type and from what exactly ? so you can get a real help !

suzana

One of the best and most trusted hospital here is Dar El Fouad.

As for your religion, we have Egyptian Christians and they are really nice. I am a muslim and I have some of them as my friends. You will like them a lot, i'm sure.

Dear bmw,
I would highly recommend to think twice about moving to Cairo - it'll not "help" your son AT ALL, but will make worse... Red sea area would be much better for him. Have a look at gouna.com - there is Intern. school + private hospital over there... ++ Place is very nice for expats ++
All the best!

Thankyou so very much for your honesty and advice, it is greatly, greatly appreciated, more than you know.