Citizenship

Hi My wife is a Mauritian and I am English, we have been married for about 20 years and living in England and are planning to retire to Mauritius  at the beginning of next year. My wife owns a house there already.  Can Anyone offer any advice on how long it will take for my official residency to go through and what type of visa should I apply for when leaving the Uk..   Any other advice is very welcome.  Thanks

Hi you dont need any visa to come to Mauritius as you married with a citizen of Mauritius but if you have a doubt find out  with the Mauritius immigration.

Thankyou for such a fast reply that's very useful to me

My residency took about 3 months to process.
Make sure to get apostilled birth certificate and marriage certificate.
Just complete the green landing card in on the plane - they then stamp your passport saying how long you can stay.
Good luck! :)

Daisy thankyou for your help, please may I ask you.  How long do u suggest I should say I'm wanting to stay In Mauritius  when I fill out that form on the green landing card ?Is it best to just say for a year while I wait for my residency to be processed? Do I need a return flight or is one  way ok?  Please can you advise, many thanks

I suggest you discuss with immigration on arrival as you are coming to stay.
You have to give a reason for your stay here  - ie   holidays and they will give a tourist visa entry for 3 - 6 months. But you intend to get residency as a spouse of a Mauritian so inform them.
I have always had a return ticket as I spend so many months in Mauritius, then back to the UK for a few months, then back here and then back to the UK so I think you will need to book a return ticket as a non resident.

You might find these older threads helpful:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 6#p1177956https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 618#683251

Again I thank you daisymay for taking the time and trouble in helping me. I'll make sure I have the relevant paperwork with me before arriving in Mauritius and will get a 6 months open return flight from the UK. Hopefully in that time I can apply and get my residency  during that  time and then be able to stay indefinitely. Hadn't heard of Apostille Birth Certificates until u had mentioned them so I will make sure I have all that before I arrive in Mauritius. Your help is very much appreciated...