Cuenca Now a "Warm Weather" Destination -- IL

Cuenca is being promoted by International Living as "a city with warm weather year-round" and $7 roast-beef san's with fries.

Cuenca a "warm weather" destination?  Sure, if you originally were planning to spend the winter in International Falls, Minnesota, or Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

But tell us, Edd Said, author of the forthcoming Cuenca article, where are those outdoor swimming pools that warm-weather places are so famous for?

cccmedia in the just-slightly-warmer-than-Cuenca capital of Ecuador

source: mass-email from IL promoting upcoming issues

The aforementioned roast-beef meal will be discussed in an upcoming report by IL's "Cuenca correspondent, Edd Staton ... a tour of the flourishing restaurant scene in his adopted home town."

The IL promo says, "In Cuenca you can have a delicious breakfast of three eggs, potatoes and a pancake with ham, for under $7."

The culinary "tour" will also include a new sushi bar featuring $20 dinners.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

The IL promo says, "In Cuenca you can have a delicious breakfast of three eggs, potatoes and a pancake with ham, for under $7."

The culinary "tour" will also include a new sushi bar featuring $20 dinners.

cccmedia in Quito

So what are we non-foodies to do? If I ate "three eggs, potatoes and a pancake with ham" for breakfast, I would immediately return to bed and not stir again for 48 hours. I would spend my life in Ecuador in a food induced coma, but I would be able to do it - for just $ 7!

International Living is such a POS. ~ Eat yourself to death in a foreign country, cheaper than you can eat yourself to death in the first world! Cheap roast beef nirvana beckons just as soon as you hand over your money for our real estate sales seminar.

My god, nobody moves 5,000 miles or so from friends and family for [not so] cheap breakfasts. Are those people retarded or is it just my imagination?

gardener1 wrote:
cccmedia wrote:

Eat yourself to death in a foreign country... My god, nobody moves 5,000 miles or so from friends and family for [not so] cheap breakfasts. Are those people retarded or is it just my imagination?

Personally, I think you've put the matter into proper perspective, Top Cat.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

cccmedia in Quito

While I could eat that breakfast without experiencing the lethargy that Topcat alludes to, my rule is I will not eat breakfast out if it is going to cost me more than $5. This of course often means doing without some sort of protein during the morning meal.

As for Cuenca´s climate, by my standards I don´t consider it "warm", although the last couple of days have been rather nice, and today appears to be shaping up that way as well.

Said on the hand will be doing his Powerpoint slide show in Las Vegas where high temperatures right now are in the low 90s, which I consider "hot" but not "hot as hell".

Senor CCC, perhaps you would enjoy the sunny climate of gringo friendly Guayaquil……
Always pleasantly warm here…...