Moving to Kenya for an existing relatuiionship

GREETING ALL
i AM AFTER SOME GUIDANCE HERE PLEASE

I have known the lady in question for a couple of years ,we met while employed by the same company and I was the Director of Logistics and she was employed in our Kenyan office
We attended the same conventions trade shows and similar and eventually our feeling grew
We have both since left the company She inherited a sizable tract of farming land so she turned her attention to that
What is was really after is general information
She is of the LUO tribe are there any traditions customs i need to be aware of ,she has often said she is not traditional but I would hate for her to ostracised
Is this sort of relationship widely accepted CAUCASIAN MAN ,AFRICAN WOMAN
How hard would be be to get the appropriate visas
My plan is initially to visit for 1 month and arrange the necessary things
Come back to oz and then look at moving in a permanent situation

any and all help appreciated

GeeCee

Hi, if you like her you don't have to worry about the traditions as they are there,just be accustomed to them.Check the online information about acquiring visas to Kenya .if you succeed, and i believe you will Welcome to Kenya.

Hello,

I have been married to a Kikuyu lady for 18 years.  I have always been accepted by her family and never been made to feel anything less than very welcome.  I don't know much about Luo customs.  However, I would have thought that similar would apply.  Mixed relationships are quite common and accepted in Kenya.  I would also have thought that if there was a risk of your partner being ostracised, then she would have considered this element already.

Tradition often comes to the fore around things like marriage ceremonies!!

If you are not married, then you would have no more rights to a visa/permit to reside in Kenya than anyone else, which basically means a 3 month single entry visa, extendable by a further 3 months, after which you must leave the country to renew.  Kenya is not an easy country in which to settle, as a foreigner. 

The link below will give you more information on permits and passes, which may allow you to live in Kenya longer term.

http://www.immigration.go.ke/Information.html

That is a difficult question. If you are not married then u can only use a general visa. Once you are married it will still take time to be allowed to settle there. There is a dependants pass which allows a partner to reside in Kenya but the kenyan partner must prove they can support you. You are not allowed to work. A permanant residency is only if you have been married 3 years and citizenship is only if u have been married 7 years and can speak swahili. If u r not married im not sure that u could stay there more than 3 months.
I myself am in the same situation and can find no way of joining my husband in kenya so we are now looking at him coming to uk.

You can legally extend the single entry visa (valid for 3 months), by a further 3 months.  After this you must leave Kenya (and the East African Community) and reapply for another single entry visa.

If you have an outside source of income of $24,000 (I think) and above, you could apply for a Class K permit, which allows you to stay in Kenya, but not to work.

Hi CeeCee,

Nairobi is a cosmopolitan city. Though your lady may get the occasional stares from the narrow and "judgy" group, interracial affairs are a common thing here.

Wish you all the best.