Here, I want to write about my experience of getting a driver's license in Krakow, Poland.
Which Driver's License is valid in Poland?
1. Indian Driver's license is not a valid document to drive in Poland. (even if you get it translated in Polish)
2. International Driver's license is valid to drive but some insurance companies suggest that Polish driver's license makes the settlement procedure easier.
3. Polish Driver's License. (or driver's license of any other EU country )
2 Ways to get a Polish driver's license:
1. Get a completely new one after taking computerized theory test and practical driving test.
2. Exchange your Indian DL against a Polish DL. (The Polish DL issued in this case is exactly same as the one in case 1)
Advantages and Disadvantages of New DL vs Exchanging Indian DL
New Polish DL:
You retain your Indian DL.
Helpful when you go back.
*Take both theory and practical exam.
*Expensive- 1000 PLN to 1500 PLN
*Approx Duration- 2 Months"
Exchange Indian DL against Polish DL:
Cheaper- Approx 400 PLN
Faster- Approx 4-5 Weeks
Only take Theory exam.
*You loose your Indian DL
** SO I OPTED FOR EXCHANGING MY INDIAN DRIVIG LICENSE AGAINST A POLISH ONE.
STEP 1- Get a PKK number and Apply for exchange of Indian Driver's License
Go to Urzad Miasta which serves your area of residence.
In my case it was
Urząd Miasta Krakowa
Address: Wielicka 28A,
Opening Hour: 7:40 AM - 6:00 PM
fill the application form(wniosek). Take help from the clerk on the reception.
Documents required to be attached with the application form:
1. Photo copy of Indian Driving License. Both Side.
2. Polish Translation of Indian Driving License, by a sworn translator.
3. Photocopies of Indian Passport, Visa, Resident Permit(if you have)
4. *if you do not have resident permit, you MUST attach Registration of Address. (zameldowania)
5. Get your PKK number. This is a candidate Number required for the examination.
Appendix A (for Step 1)
1. find a sworn translator using Internet.
Call him. Most probably, he will agree to translate if you send the scan copy by email.
Price is 48 PLN for 1 page. NEGOTIATE because DL is a small document. Get both sides in 1 price.
2. Registration of Address can be received in the same Urzad Miasta by submitting an application and showing your address proof e.g. House Rent Agreement.
Fees: 17 PLN.
STEP 2 - Take an appointment for the Theory Exam
Go to MORD. (Małopolski Ośrodek Ruchu Drogowego)
Ul. Nowohucka 33a, Krakow.
Opening Hour 7:00 am - 2:30 PM
Carry your PKK Number.
Take an appointment for the theory exam as per your convenience.
Appendix B (Step 2)
1. Always carry your passport.
STEP 3 - STUDY
Buy a CD which has the complete prep book for the examination.
It also has the practice tests. Price 20 PLN.
The real test will be of 74 points. The pass criteria is 68 Points.
Questions weigh 1, 2 or 3 points. (3 wrong answers and you fail)
5-6 days are good for the study.
You can buy the CD from any driving school.
STEP 4 - EXAM
TAKE IT AND PASS.
STEP 5 - SURPRISE TRAVEL TO WARSAW
After passing the exam, MORD staff will ask you to go to
Urząd Miasta Krakowa,
aleja Powstania Warszawskiego 10
Staff at Urzad Miasta will check your exam result online and tell you that your DL will be ready in 2 Weeks.
After 2 Weeks you will get a letter saying - the deptt contacted Indian Embassy in Warsaw about the authenticity of your DL.
But Indian Embassy wants the candidate to appear in the embassy in person to collect the letter.
Contact the Embassy(See website).
Go to Warsaw, Indian Embassy with your original Indian DL, Original Passport, copies of PP and Visa, Resident permit, address etc
and get the letter from the embassy. Price 88 PLN.
Once you submit the letter in urzad miasta, the staff will again take 2 weeks.
*THIS 2 WEEKS CAN BE SAVED.
After passing the exam, contact the embassy and get the letter before going to Urzad Miasta.
After submitting all the documents to Urzad Miasta, it will take 12-14 calendar days for your DL to come.
Translation - 50 PLN
Zameldowania - 17 PLN
Examination - 30 PLN
Fees in Indian Embassy - 88 PLN
Travel to Warsaw - 100 PLN
Total : ~400 PLN