Cost of living in Belize

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Belize.

Don't forget to mention where in Belize you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Belize?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

I would like to share a few posts (see below) on my blog to give people an idea of the cost of groceries and having an electrician come to your house.

Something to consider because Ambergris Caye is an island everything has to come in by barge and that makes prices more expensive - also this is not first world and like it or not things do now work the same. Something that some people have a hard time getting used to. Patience and going with the flow are a must ha ha.

Location... San Pedro town Ambergris Caye, Island off the coast of Belize.

http://tacogirlblog.blogspot.com/2008/0 … reezy.htmlhttp://tacogirlblog.blogspot.com/2008/0 … style.html

This post shows the cost of having an electrician come out to do some work that should have been done by the electric company...
http://tacogirlblog.blogspot.com/2008/0 … -this.html

what is the exchange rate - US to Belize.  The prices you are showing assumes that we all know the exchange but those of us who are here for the knowledge and to see if we want to move there haven't a clue if that is good or bad.  Can you enlighten us?

$1 US =$2 BZ

Boy that's easy - like a big half off sale.  Thank you for the info.  Girl friend and I are in the info gathering stage of a possible move to live outside the US.  I am considering retiring soon, with a reasonable pension, and we would like to find someplace that wont strain our income and will get us out of the dreary winters of Washington.  We are considering a trip to Belize later this year (Sept - Oct)  Can you give us some insite of the weather there at that time and what/when the seasons are?

Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living

the weather varies significantly from district to district.  ocean side is always 10 degrees F cooler than inland.  I am told it cools in Deceomber.  as a gringo, unless you live on the shore, you will want at least your bedroom to have A/C.  humid and 90's here in corozal, away from the coast.

As with all other aspects, the ONLY way to know is to come here for a year and travel around the country.

mrfixit, just because the exchange is 2 for 1 in belize doesnt make things cheaper there,everything is based on the american dollar the same as honduras.when i was in honduras last year there money is 19 to 1 the lempira,so we thought everything was gonna be cheap,no,everything is based on the american dollar,jeans were $40.00u.s. so the locals cant afford them,they had an applebys restaurant there we went to,because that was the only place we could find someone to speak english and the bill was over $50 american.the electricity in belize is poor and expensive,internet is expensive,phone is expensive,and unless you buy local fruit check the expiry dates on food in store shelves,as groceries are expensive too.like most 3rd world countries labor is cheap,land is cheap,local stuff is cheap,dont expect any luxuries you would find at home,if you want to live a very simple life with no vehicle then belize is ok,as gas is over $6 a gallon i think right now,american not belize.