Cost of living in Iraq

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Iraq.

Don't forget to mention where in Iraq you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Iraq?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Most people I've spoken with just stay on base during their free time.  It is a warzone after all....

Dears, I would like to request your help to know the living cost in Erbil! and is it a good situation for Family!

Well , the best place to live in iraq is Kurdistan ...the place is 100% safe...even if you joined the Military...its safe there...however...the cost of renting a good house , 3 rooms in Arbil is about 600$ to 1000$ depending on the furnture and which city...as i know the most good place there is Aeen Kawa (Its a christian City) and the renting price is good...and about living costs...you can spend 300$ to 1000$ ...depening on you and if being alone or with a family.

greetings

Thanks,
I like to come and work in Iraq both south and north.Is it safe for an oil worker? I will be working for companies like Halliburton or Schlumberger.
But will reside in Ebril in northen Iraq.

it it save to go there for work?

Hi fabian06 and bestcoach,

You are :offtopic: in this discussion. The title of this thread is "Cost of living in Iraq".
You should start a new topic with your question on the Iraq forum.

Thank you.
Christine

Hey Christine,

Have been offered a job to work in Sulaimaniyah. i would appreciate if you could provide me with the cost of living details for a small family (have a wife and a naughty son who is 3 years old) :)

Looking forward for your response.

Regards
Sid

oh i wokred in sulminyah  about  30 years ago , i sne up equipment in a TOBACCO FARM IN A PKCE CALLED BACKROJO,..,
how is that plce now,..
it was messy when i was there cheers,.

what the currency now in iraq pls,.

I suppose its iraqi dinnar and

01$ = 1200 dinar

when i wsthere  $100 = 32  dinar    hahahah,.
why  do u not know wht currency is there now if your moving there,

Anyhows all....my question remains unanswered. Want to know the cost of living in Suli. Can any one give me a few briefs?

Regards
Sid

if u email me  off  line  i will  tell u more,.i nto happy on this site  since  i got reprmaned for using CAP LOCKS   from soome one in africa

Currency used in Iraq  is Dinar, which is $1 = 1200 IQD, and Iraqis like to use US dollars also and they don't mind taking it.
Food is cheap; you can get a good meal with $8 to $12, but high class restaurants charge $30 for an open buffet.
Rents; a flat fully furnished costs about $300 to $1000 /month, depending on how many rooms and the area.
Transportation: no real public transportation, Gas costs about less than $.5 for liter.
In general, living in the middle and south of Iraq is much less costly than the north.
Any more questions I would be more than happy to answer.

Hi
I have been offered a job in Erbil, they offered me 2500$ and maximum 3000$ per month, I don't know the costs of living, Although you mentioned some of them , I do not know can i save money? can I live well? can i travel?
I should mention that i'm alone.

Thank you for  your answer

$2,500-3,000 per month is a decent salary. You certainly can live well if you know how to spend. Also the benefit is that it is tax free country.

So what kind of job offer you have been offered...i mean which industry / field??

Why don't you try...there are lot of expats who are living & saving.

i got and opportunity to work in Erbil....Can anybody tell is there any indian people living over there

Currently we are living in sulaymaniyah *kurdhistan region, north iraq* it is safe here and our residency card not allowed us to visit south iraq. For a family with two young children 500-700 usd per month is enough for us. i cook most of the time but once a week we eat at the restaurant which is cost around 30,000 dinar *this is a mid range restaurant not the high end one*

apartment, gas, elecetricity are provided by my husband's company. For transportation, we use taxi to go anywhere. All taxi drivers are very honest and theres no taxi meter but they give you the same rate, for example to the bazaar from our apt is always 5,000 dinar, no one charges us more than that price. Sulaymaniyan is a small city and with 5,000 dinar takes us almost to every part of city. our apartment is in Goizha area, near the mountains, many expats living here.

For international school, there's not much options, only sabis sulaymaniyah and british school *but i'm not so sure about bristish school, many friends seems having a hard time to get information about this school*  For sabis sulaymaniyah, you can google it and find the school fee in their website.

cinema will cost you 10,000.. quite expensive i think but there's nothing to do here except cinema and bowling center ;).

hope this helps and please excuse my english ;)

hi dears
please help i want rent the apartment in ankawa erbil tell me about the average cost price for small apartment-1bedroom-good quality

it is not easy to know the price of accommodation  because prices of houses and flats are not fixed but such a small place which u want in ankawa maybe start around 400 $ till 500 $ or 600 $ and more. 

So,  there is one problem maybe you cannot get(no available) a small place like that so in this case you need rent a place bigger in a higher price also this is another story.

PM to know more

[email protected]

tanks aide i can pay that and i think it is good :)

hi
I want to get some information about living in Erbil .Please if you know anything that can help me let me know .
I am 24. I finished my education on english translation (BA).  I am living in iran now .

What is the cost of living in DOHUK IRAQ?:D
We are a family of 5. 2 adults three kids all under the age of 4. My husband is from dohuk but has not been there for 15 years and things have changed since he was 15 years old.

Here below are the things we are inquiring about:

1. cost of rent for a furnished 2-3 br apartment.
2. does dohuk allow its people to take out interest free home loans and car loans?
3. Cost of car used/new that will fit 5-6 people?
4. cost of food per month?
Thank you
amanda

I have lived here for over 2 years. There are many western supermarkets and you will pay more for some food, luxury items but food is cheap, compared to UK and USA. There are fresh produce stands everywhere and very good vegetables, not all the veggies all the time but you can always make smoothies, stirfrsys, etc. I am not one for the local food, but love falafel and there is fresh chicken, kebabs, falafel, and warm fresh bread EVERYWHERE for cheap.

I never had to put furniture into my place and there are tons of rather gaudy
furniture stores but they have a Istanbul Home (think Ikea with Ikea prices) and of course kitchen stuff, utensils and such can be found at the Citadel and Langa bazaar. Clothes come from Sweden and Northern Europe and you can find amazing 2nd hand clothes for super cheap and much better than the upscale shops at the malls. There are 3 really big malls and towns of other shops so you will never be at a loss for clothes and again from 2 dollars to hundreds of $$ depending on how you shop.

Lots of new expat restaurants up and coming, italian, burgers burgers burgers, coffee shops, bake shops and such. The place for indian, chinese and other fun american food is Ankawa, the Christian quarter and where many people live.

Hope this helps.
Lils

ps. If you need to bring one thing it would be tampons... (for woman that is) not here, and when they are they are $$$ or hard to find... Stuck up!

Hi Lils !

thank you for the help and this useful info !

however; could you please tell us more about
-energy prices (oil, electricity)
-common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
-transportation prices
-recommended areas in Erbil for renting and the average of rent

- is there a cut off for electricity ?
-what's the best and cheaper method for heating  in houses ?

thank you

Dears,
    Hope you are so fine
I have  an offer in  al Sulaymaniyah & I would like to know more about
1- cost of living for 2 adult & 1 kids
2-housing cost in a good place
3- transportation
4- entertainment
5- if  I need to rent  a car how much does it cost
6- car loan if decide to buy a car is available or not
Thx

Hi! Could you tell me cost of living if company provides accommodation+transport+medical. Please let me know average salary for mechanical engineer, how much one should earn at least.
Thanks

sand59 wrote:

Hi! Could you tell me cost of living if company provides accommodation+transport+medical. Please let me know average salary for mechanical engineer, how much one should earn at least.
Thanks

For cost of living try www.numbeo.com