Expat Mentors

Those of us that have been through it, or are going through it now know how hard it is to figure things out when you are new to Ecuador. It seems to me that one of the most helpful things would be to have someone to take a few hours now and then to show new/future expats the ropes. How to take a bus, where to shop, etc...

I'm assuming, based on how much time we spend online giving advice to prospective expats, that a lot of you would be willing to spend a little time meeting the new folks and showing them around. I know I'd be willing to show folks around the Bahia/San Vicente/Canoa area in my spare time when I'm in town. Anybody else out there get a kick out of making new friends and helping others? And what about you expat hopefuls? Anyone feel like they could use a little help learning the ropes?

When the Klein Brothers from Israel were in Quito early this year, they contacted me for an informal meeting to, essentially, give them a couple of hours of mentoring and share my EC experience.

The time we spent at hotel Patio Andaluz in Centro Histórico was pleasant enough and a lot of information was exchanged, although I never did find out if they managed to start an EC business on the coast before their 180-day visa ran out.

A handful of other folks have contacted me since about such a meeting, but so far only the Kleins followed up.

cccmedia in Quito

I'm in.

I can help in the Quito area.

Also as much as I like "Talking", about automotive service/repair. I like doing things even more. If anyone needs hands on help, let me know.

This is a great idea!  I need help & a mentor would be fantastic!  I will be in Quito for a couple days Nov 4 then a month plus in Cuenca to make sure I want to live there in 2 yrs.  Any one interested in mentoring me is appreciated.  xxx  Thank you

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I agree with Señor GMC and would be willing to mentor for those interested in Guayaquil or other areas if they make it this way……
Vaya con Dios y viva Christo Rey

jessekimmerling....what a fantastic idea!  Also, very kind and thoughtful to help new expats find their way around EC.  When I move, I'll be looking for a mentor.  Anyone volunteering to help folks moving to the Quito area?

Birdmama wrote:

When I move, I'll be looking for a mentor.  Anyone volunteering to help folks moving to the Quito area?

See GMC's offer in Report #3 above.

I am Sorry not meaning to break rules.  As I said before is my first time in the blogging thing & did not know the correct etiquette/rules,  My apologies.

I don't know what I was thinking.....I must have been tired when I typed Quito!  I meant...Is there anyone  volunteering to help folks moving to the Cuenca area?  We are coming to Ecuador On Nov. 8th and taking the "Crash Course in Ecuador" tour until the 21st.  So we'll be touring around Ecuador, but are thinking of the outskirts of Cuenca as our final destination.  Depending on when our home sells, we are looking to move next spring.  Hopefully, we'll be able to find a mentor by then.

MGLuke wrote:

I am Sorry not meaning to break rules.  As I said before is my first time in the blogging thing & did not know the correct etiquette/rules,  My apologies.

All is forgiven.  Keep posting.

I think you will enjoy this:  My next doors  neighbor Real birth certificate name is" Elvis" his daughter is" Evelisa".  Elvis's mom loved Elvis and named her 1st born Elvis.  Thought you might appreciate that bit of info.  Sorry of topic again?    Have a fantastic day  :unsure

I can provide help/advice for anyone around the Quito area.

I have been flying to Quito since 1999 (I prefer the old airport) and have explored much of Quito. I am married to a dentist in town. Having said that, I know there are gaps in my knowledge of the city and would love to fill in those gaps. I would welcome a mentor and be willing to mentor as well.

My wife and I would very much welcome an hour of someone's time as a mentor.
We arrive in Guayaquil on Dec 10th.

Currently we are travelling in Panama, out very first bad experience was our first night arriving at 9pm to a hotel in an unsafe area. The next day we realized no one spoke English (not even the hotel staff), we didn't know where to go and how to get there. Our 4 days in Panama city was not a good experience for us.

I mention this because we don't want to repeat the experience.

If anyone could mentor us with the following advice we would be so grateful.

1, Where in are the tourist areas and safe areas? 
    Where are the unsafe areas.
    Similar advice for Quito and Cuenca.

2,  How do we use public transport?
     Where is the bus station?
     How do we travel across Ecuador using public transport?

3,  Where do we buy a good map of Ecuador?
     (In Panama they are almost impossible to find)

4,  Are there Tourist Advice centers in Ecuador?

It's basic stuff but so important for new arrivals.

Thanks.

les64 wrote:

We arrive in Guayaquil on Dec 10th

1, Where in are the tourist areas and safe areas? 
    Where are the unsafe areas.
    Similar advice for Quito and Cuenca.

Where is the bus station?
     How do we travel across Ecuador using public transport?

These are places to avoid in Ecuador...

Guayaquil .. south Quito, south of El Centro .. border areas .. Lago Agrio .. deserted streets at night wherever.

Do yourselves a favor and get out of crime-ridden, hot and humid Guayaquil a day or two after you arrive in Ecuador.

In Quito, major tourist areas include Centro Histórico .. and the Mariscal Sector, which is approximately Avenida Colón to the north, Parque El Ejido to the south, 6 de Diciembre to the east and 10 de agosto to the west.  Here you have many Gringo-friendly restaurants, clubs, hair salons/,massage places, hotels, hostels, coffee shops and chocolate specialty shops.

Here in Quito, there are multiple bus stations for intercity travel.  I suggest you research by city online .. or ask here about a specific route.

cccmedia in Quito

les64 wrote:

2,  How do we use public transport?

This post is about city transport within Quito.

The main travel routes in Quito run mostly north-south.

Gringos mainly use the trole on 10 de agosto .. and the Ecovía bus line on 6 de Diciembre.

There's a third bus route, also north-south, on Avenida América and Avenida la Prensa.

All three of these routes have fixed stations where you pay the fare upon entrance to the station.  Most other bus routes take the fare inside the bus.  Stops marked as "Paradas" are indicated in some places.  Sometimes you wave for the bus to stop.

Intracity bus fare is 25 centavos.  Seniors pay 12 cents, and ID typically is not checked.

Taxis are still cheap, with a daytime minimum of $1.45 and $1.75 at night .. $3 to $5 typically from points in El Centro to Mariscal and vice versa.

cccmedia in Quito

les64 wrote:

3,  Where do we buy a good map of Ecuador?

4,  Are there Tourist Advice centers in Ecuador?

Information for Quito...

Maps:  try a bookstore in major shopping mails, or ask for a librería (bookstore) in Mariscal sector.

Tourist information center:  there's a good one on the main plaza in Centro Histórico, which is known both as Plaza Grande and Plaza de la Independencia.

cccmedia in Quito

A fabulous idea! Definitely needed! Are you guys willing to mentor some South Africans?

No question about it, a little help from those who live the Ecuador experience would be very helpful.  Great idea!