Hello- moving to Montenegró

Hello everyone,

My name is Bill and I am considering moving to Montenegró for a variety of reasons...

1. I love European culture, especially Southern Europe.

2. I love rock climbing and alpinism, and there seems to be much of both in Montenegró and in nearby countries.

3. I'm transitioning from amateur photographer to professional, and Montenegró seems to have much to offer and is also close to other areas of interest to me as a photographer.

4.Montenegró won out in my research for a place that is centrally located, possible to gain residency, easy to start business, and located close to a variety of cultures and climbing destinations!

Also, I am thinking of resuming my webdesign business there and would like to teach Linux and general coding skills to anyone interested.

I also look forward to studying the local language as I love languages...

I"ve studied Spanish and Cantonese, but I am most versed in Catalan due to my visit to Catalonia in 2006.

I think I will be ready to move to Montenegró within the next 90 days...

Any advice, information, or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome my friend, you must take a lot of money!

How do you mean?

stefs wrote:

Welcome my friend, you must take a lot of money!

"...it's nice to be important but, it's more important to be nice!"

LOL! Agreed.

But what do you mean when you say "you must take a lot of money"?

I would appreciate your insights very much.

The cost of living in Montenegro is higher than in Serbia (hence I assume the comment of "stefs") but it's still cheaper than in western Europe or the US (Especially now with the strong USD).

It would be nice if participants to the forum were making more constructive answers to help one another rather than such comments without elaborating...

Can you send over some references re Webdesign as I'm looking for someone to redesign all my sites.

Montenegro seems like a good place for you.

My only advice: start learning the language asap as its a tough one to learn for westerners.

Thank you Tsarine!

Here is a link to my site:

- skycountrydesign.com

Unfortunately, many of the sites are no longer up as their owners have abondoned their projects.

I created the skycountry site with an inexpensive template.

The climbers are my son and I. (In case you couldn't guess  :D ).

The more I read regarding the wilderness in Montenegró the more I want to be there.

Thank you again!

Thanks!
Btw there's no accent on the "o" of Montenegro ;)

Thank you. I'll consider that my first lesson  :)

Yeah, this is young, developing country.
With a lot of opportunities to those who willing to work and develop themselves.
Be fair to people and they will always help you.
Make as many friends as you can and forget about money - that is not what we do live for.
Montenegro is opened for good and do not really adsorb bad.
The country is small but mentally strong enough and knows how to live and what is really important of the ljfe. Just follow the local rules which are not that complicate.
One day you'll find it is a real paradise!

Thanks for that eddies.

It sounds like I will like it there more than I know.

good to read your experience here so far. Well written. I am on my 2nd 90 day tourist visa--crossing border to bosnia, and came back. What kind of visa do you have? did you do the border crossing to extend 90 day visa?

gwirfs wrote:

good to read your experience here so far. Well written. I am on my 2nd 90 day tourist visa--crossing border to bosnia, and came back. What kind of visa do you have? did you do the border crossing to extend 90 day visa?

that is always an option but, it is not hard to get a work and reidence permit for a year and prolong it every year. Of coarse it requires some expences like taxes ets. but you get a medical insurance and other privileges. besides you may register a car if you need.
may just register as a private etentrepreneur

thanks, i need someone like yourself and experience to send me instructions how you got your visa.

ciao gary

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : you can exchange personal details in private pls
gwirfs wrote:

thanks, i need someone like yourself and experience to send me instructions how you got your visa.

[email protected]

ciao gary

I got a bookkeeper to do that all for me. About 400eur. Generally they do that all.
You just have to provide them your docs reqired for that.
Could be cheaper DIY but, takes much time 😉

Thanks again---what is list of documents i must have?
would your bookkeeper take more business?

ciao gary

The list is here:
http://lake-skadar.com/muppet-list

You won't find any more complete information than this one anywhere I believe.

Good luck!

Bless you Tsarine

gwirfs wrote:

Thanks again---what is list of documents i must have?
would your bookkeeper take more business?

ciao gary

mine is in  Herceg Novi. my british friend got one in Tivat

Can I also obtain residency for starting a business?

GBosc wrote:

Can I also obtain residency for starting a business?

as soon as you register a company or yourself as a private entrepreneur you may apply for residence.

Is it best to do that through a bookkeeper of accountant then?

GBosc wrote:

Is it best to do that through a bookkeeper of accountant then?

well, I call them bookkepers but, in fakt, they might be accountants.
sorry, english is not my native language so I miss those nuances, from time to time.

English is my native language and I've never been able to tell the differnce between a bookkeeper and an accountant except that one of them makes more money  :D

Eddies, just a thought, two of us expats have set up a coffee morning at Vivaldi cafe in Budva, every Sunday morning from 10 am to 12 for English language conversation.  All are welcome, nothing to pay except the food and drink that you order.  There are usually two of us, I am a Brit and the other person is American.

All are welcome we just sit around and chat in English.......

I would especially like to meet you regarding your post to me a while back about taking care of home, garden and doggies plus I am also a skipper...... with definate sailing interests.....

Next meeting is tomorrow morning.  Vivaldi Cafe is very near the White University building in Budva,Cafe Vivaldi

Next meeting tomorrow morning

Well, why not to chat ;0)
Shall try to be there tomorrow.
Thanks for invitation.

we lost a lot of money in Montenegro along with several of our expat friends..be cautious as rents are really high and people do NOT spend a dime. Locals live on coffee and cigarettes. Even in the summer only the wealthy Russians eat out.

I'm here visiting...Dukelee that is so true...locals smoke a lot here

Don't understand when you say the rents high ? Average rent for a 1 bedroom furnished apt is between 180 and 250 euros ?? If your paying more then that your getting robbed .....

we rented a house and paid the same rate as we did in Spain..lol.  Way too much and the house was not finished and there was no garden and i could go on and on. But Mont is lovely in many many ways...

Hi there,
I am renting for already 8 years here. I can say that prices vary, a lot, depending on location, and depending what you can find. When you arrive for the first time, you will pay more, for sure, bat later, if you are ready to spend your time in searching and moving you can find very nice place, much cheaper then in Spain.

Duklee I'll be in bar tomorrow if u wanna have coffe or lunch let me know ....

Hey Doc…out of the country for the upcoming holidays. What part of the states are your from?

I'm from the mid west ....

I had to laugh its so true they live on coffe and cigarettes. I keep telling my self that's how the women are so skinny they only have coffe and cigaretes haha.  I love Montenegro was going to move there but couldn't get a job there. Have a great time there. Consider the heating in where u rent cause alot of houses can be very hot in summer but cold in winter.

Bill you forgot one very important plus here The Women My Friend are Beautiful ....if you need any help let me know I'm from Detroit but Montenegrin English is native too me but I'm Fuent in Serbian / Montenegrin .... You will love it here !!

:D

Motown 😉