Renting a house or apartment

Hello everyone. I know we have spoke before and I was thinking of renting a house in Santiago. The people I spoke with for the house said I will need three payments. Two for the deposit ( refundable) and one payment non-refunded. Someone I know in DR and a copy of my passport. We will decide of the term of the rental agreement. Reading some of your post, is that it and anything I need to beware of?

Your future neighbor
Isaac

Not sure why one is non refundable unless that is considered either your first or last months rent

Good luck on the move

Bob K

Seems about right.  My terms are usually, 1st, last and a refundable security deposit.  3 months in total.  Passport and reference are all legit.  You might want to make sure that you are not responsible for maintenance fees, if any and what is included in the maintenance fees such as gas, electricity, water, drinking water, cable tv, internet...

Tap water is normally included.  The balance could be extras.

Nope the non refundable is a combination payment of "commission" to someone and usually the notary fee.  Its how they do it here.

The "someone you know" will need to sign as your fiador or guarantor. 

Before you rent make sure you understand the electrical situation there,  don't trust the renting agent either, go to the electrical company or online and check the "schedule" of outages.  Make sure there is a cisterna and or tinaco,   check cell phone signal,  check for availability of internet and cable etc.  Double check everything!!!!   Also visit various time of the week to check traffic and noise levels.   A quiet neighborhood may be anything but on Friday thru Sunday nights!  Better safe then sorry.

Check every item -  taps, water flow,  sockets etc.  Once you move in most often you need to fix anything that does not work.  So double check.  And the place will likely come without a single light bulb......LOL 

Hope that helps.

Mike I think that is in  expat  based areas, more like the North American model.  What I posted is very much Dominican.... So depends where he is looking but Santiago is definitely Dominican based.

So that's what Santiago is like...hmmm.  I think I'll just stay in Punta Cana.

Dom--aMike. There is much more to this island than Punta Cana & Santiago.  Must it be Santiago?  Explore some more & see what is here. The North shore is great, as well as many other areas. Take your time & enjoy the search.  Remember, life is not a dress rehearsal & there is no return ticket given for this trip through life. Heed the advice given by the ones who know. You can stare at an orange tree, but, the fruit won't ripen any faster.

Ciao, I am looking for a residence for the whole month of October in Las Terrenas (will be there not accompanied) but got some difficulties to find the right half way between luxury mansions and poor locations,  a couple of suggestions will be great. ;)

Hello LucaDR,

Here are some links to websites that might be helpful to you :

Expat.com – Housing in Las Terrenas
Expat.com – Accommodation in Las Terrenas Forum
Mercado Libre inmuebles.mercadolibre.com.do
DR Paradise www.drparadise.com
Juan Perdomo www.juanperdomo.com
In Dominicana www.indominicana.com

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Thx a lot Bhavna  :)

Thanks Gypsy,

I'm with you there.  Have traveled many parts of the island including POP and area.  Also having family, been to a few hidden areas of beauty in the outback.  I wish I had more free time to do more but I definitely intend on visiting the Dominican jewels one day.  At this time I have a child in Grade one that takes presidence on many of my decisions regarding location.  School, medical and safety come first.

Cheers,

Reality is the only  listings made online are the expensive ones, you may want to book a hotel for 3 or 4 days and then  find what works for you.  We call it "boots on the ground:.