VEHICLE ISSUES WHEN MOVING TO TURKEY

Hello, I have the following question.
¿May I take my vehicle (from Spain) to Turkey?
I´ve heard that they don´t like foreign vehicles to be in the country and they are making it hard to keep it there or something like that.

:unsure

First thing's first. Turkish Customs Regulations and the Touring and Automobile Club of Turkey, or TTOK state that bringing a car into Turkey is only allowed for foreigners who are coming into Turkey either for work (on a temporary residence/work permit, as a resident student or for retirement.

I notice you are not an expat yet. Will you be falling under any of these categories once you will be in Turkey?

Z

Right now I´m still applying for a job there as a graphic designer. Have some interesting offers but I´m still waiting for a reply. Hope they don´t take too long. In the meantime i´ll keep searching.

If I understood well you question, I am only going to Turkey with a work permit. So, what would I need to do once I get there? Or do I need to do anything before I go?

You can bring a foreign-plated vehicles into Turkey only on an Alien Vehicles Temporary Entry Card (Yabancı Taşıtlar Geçici Giriş Belgesi - YTGGK), also known as Blue Card. You can get this card from Touring and Automobile Club of Turkey.

You will need the following documents
Residence Permit (working purpose)
Passport/Photocopy
Driving license/Photocopy
(For a Blue card holder, it is an obligatory to get the work permit from Ministery of Labour and then stamped in their residence permit.)
Work permit photocopy given by concerning state authority
Turkish-origin foreigners are required to get stamped “exempt from work” in their residence permit.
Vehicle Licence as the evidence of the vehicle belongs to him/her, if any vending, sales contract (together with photocopy of seller's license) from relating consulate.
A letter from work place addressed to the Association  specifying your task and its term. (Company signature circular/photocopy)
Delivery receipt report of the vehicle from related Customs Directorate
Security according to engine capacity and year model of vehicle. (Demand bank letter of guarantee in cash or complies with Association sample.) Please send e-mail to [email protected] for deposit information
Proof of insurance valid in Turkey
For hire cars, copy of the rental contract, which must specify that the vehicle may be brought to Turkey
Application form to be completed and signed by owner of the vehicle.
For foreign retirees, a document stating the amount of their pension
For students, a certificate from school

Any documents in a language other than Turkish must be translated and notarised either by the individual's home country consulate or by a Turkish notary public.

Once you receive the YTGGK, you will take it to the Customs Office and pay the customs fee.
Then you have to visit the Traffic Department Directorate have the vehicle registered.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Z

Crazy bureaucracy, isnt it? There must be government workers here who live from eating papers. Why dont they ask for a notarized birth certificate copy of your grandmother and a signed photograph of Gottlieb Daimler? The only thing that do not need to be translated in Turkey are Euro bank notes.  I ended up not bringing a car to Turkey because it was not worth the efforts. My proposal is that to all cars exported from Turkey the same Turkish rules are applied in their destination markets :).

Hahaha. . You do have a point there Nils Thomas. .
The tax system here is pretty crazy, definitely..

There is no such a problem if you come to Turkey with your vehicle.
Maybe you have heard Turkish citizens problems such ultra high import taxes when taking their european cars to Turkey.
You can come any time to Turkey feely..Custom officer will register your car to your pasaport and will check your international car insurance, you can buy 3 months int.insurance top of your reguler Spanish insurance in Spain before you move...I don't think you will face any problem.

Ahh.. Great point! Tell that to Yabancı Taşıtlar Geçici Giriş Belgesi!  :top:

Trusty wrote:

There is no such a problem if you come to Turkey with your vehicle.
Maybe you have heard Turkish citizens problems such ultra high import taxes when taking their european cars to Turkey.
You can come any time to Turkey feely..Custom officer will register your car to your pasaport and will check your international car insurance, you can buy 3 months int.insurance top of your reguler Spanish insurance in Spain before you move...I don't think you will face any problem.

You stated that foreign retirees just need a document showing the amount of pension. You didn't mention anything about the car. Are there any limits or restrictions regarding the car itself?
Is there a time limit for keeping the car in Turkey? Can I  buy further insurance after my international insurance expires?
Thank you
David

This was the general information David,

I think for specific details you might want to call them up so that they can give you precise information. The contact for the Yabancı Taşıtlar Geçici Giriş Belgesi Antalya office is

Tel/Fax: (0 242) 247 0699
Cell: (0 530) 967 3150

Hope this helps
Good luck
Z

Traditionally Turkish Goverments are torture only their own citizens.

If you are non turkish person, all doors open for you.

I am Turkish-Canadian for instance, that regulations does'nt except my foreign nationality.

Rules for me is, I cannot keep my foreign plate car more than 6 months a year.

But people reading it wrong, I can go to Greece 1 day every six months it's ok,.No, 6 months max in one year.

But foreign retires is quite new subject for me, I have no idea at all.

But I guess, they can't force you to import that car and pay that outrages taxes to them.

After reading all this, I don´t think that I still want to take my vehicle to Turkey. It´s not worth the effort :(