Renting an Apartment and Internet Providers

Hi there!

I am considering moving to Cape Verde for 6 months this winter and am looking for places (websites/estate agents) where I could rent an apartment for 6 months.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I would need a good Internet connection, so what would my best options be? Perhaps a (4G) data sim?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Robert.

I used Helena Rocha. I think her company is called Noscasa (noscasacv.com) I think. In terms of Internet connection, I have unlimited high speed internet at my place (I live in Praia) and I think I get about 20MB. It's approx 60euro per month.

I think I would prefer Praia as the other towns on the other islands sound a little quiet. Is there much to do in Praia and who is your Internet provider?

Thanks.

I use CV Telecom and I'm in Praia as well....paying about 62Euro per month. It works well.

Hi
Did you move yet? And did you find a place? Pls share with us :) Thank you

Hi,

How about mobile internet? As I understand there is just 3G network and no 4G yet.

Some higher priced packages offer (theoretically, on the telecom web page) speeds of 7/2 Mbps and that should be enough for Skype calls, even video calls (and probably not for group video calls).

Does anyone has real experience with this in CV, Praia especially for Skype audio/video? Or other (Google Hangouts, etc.)?

Enjoy!

D

Hello once again, D. Mobile wireless internet speeds in CV are appalling in practice. There is no 4G and the 3G speeds are horrible. You will experience dropped calls and UPLOAD speeds that are extremely too slow for a good VOiP experience. For example, to upload a file of 5MB takes several minutes (could be more than 5 minutes) and depends on the time of day. When I am dealing with very large files, for example if I have to download firmware for an Android phone, I usually upload/download very early in the morning before 7am or after 11pm at night. The internet speeds are fastest at this time because no one else is using the bandwidth.

That is the real issue here. The download speeds are just OK, but it is the upload speeds that are the ugly problem. You will hear the other party on a VOiP call...but they can't hear you except with a lengthy delay, or you will just sound garbled to them.

I abandoned Skype several years ago. The only way to make it work is to have a WIRED internet line. It is offered only by CV Telecom. And you have to ask for the CORPORATE service which provides the fastest speeds. It costs a little more. But it's the only solution for VOiP such as Skype, Viber, Google Dialer, etc. Otherwise...you can always use the phone! LOL. The international rates are not too bad if you have an international calling plan.

Angelo

Hey Angelo again,

I am dependent on good internet as I do a lot of consulting (on average a few hours a day) and mostly group video calls via Skype. I was also looking for some satellite internet on CV but it's not suitable for VOIP.

So, it seems that in Praia good internet is linked to ISDN line and that is linked to finding good apartment for rent (that probably has it installed already).

Well, I rarely can say I am spoiled in my small Croatia but even here I have optic cable with 100mbps speed and full 4G coverage. Still, it seems that 20mbps should work fine for my needs, I just have to prepare a bit.

Thanks,

D

Yes, you can get a corporate ISDN line here in CV. You can do Skype with it and the other party will hear you. I used to do the same thing you are planning to do...consulting with clients via Skype. I had the corporate line with the fastest upload speed. It was quite expensive back then. It's cheaper now.

But the problem is that the Internet here often drops. So you can get disconnected from the Skype call. If you have a 30 minute call, the line will probably drop once or twice.

I gave up on the Skype and just used the phone. It turned out to be cheaper that the corporate line. Unless you have several hours of calls per day, it's probably cheaper and clearer to just use the direct phone line with an international calling plan.

Well, with good preparation there must be a way.

Any ideas for a good int'l calling plan for CV?

Thanks,

D

There is only one international calling plan and it is available from CV Móvel. It costs like $10/month pre-paid but you get a discount on the per-minute charges for calls to Europe.

Hi, Thank you for all your important input and valuable information. I would like to ask you for information regarding Internet and Visa's to Cabo Verde if that is okay.

I am a British Citizen, I am living in Zimbabwe at the moment and would like to obtain a Residence permit to stay in Cabo Verde for  a year together with my brother.

I bought an apartment in Sal in 2007 and travelled to Cape verde twice, I would like to live in Cabo Verde for 1 year and would like to bring my brother along for the same period, with the intention of putting him on the Title Deeds as well.

How difficult would it be for my brother who would be travelling with me to get into Cabo verde, I have savings and rental income from the UK and I will be financing my brother as well.

Lastly, Please could you give me advice on internet as well.

Is there an internet provider who offer fast unlimited internet for downloading and watching movies online on two computers, as that is the source of watching TV/movies that I use?

If so how much would that cost me in Sal?

Many thanks.

musiwa wrote:

Hi, Thank you for all your important input and valuable information. I would like to ask you for information regarding Internet and Visa's to Cabo Verde if that is okay.

I am a British Citizen, I am living in Zimbabwe at the moment and would like to obtain a Residence permit to stay in Cabo Verde for  a year together with my brother.

I bought an apartment in Sal in 2007 and travelled to Cape verde twice, I would like to live in Cabo Verde for 1 year and would like to bring my brother along for the same period, with the intention of putting him on the Title Deeds as well.

How difficult would it be for my brother who would be travelling with me to get into Cabo verde, I have savings and rental income from the UK and I will be financing my brother as well.

Lastly, Please could you give me advice on internet as well.

Is there an internet provider who offer fast unlimited internet for downloading and watching movies online on two computers, as that is the source of watching TV/movies that I use?

If so how much would that cost me in Sal?

Many thanks.

Hi Musiwa,

Let me answer the easier question first. You can get unlimited internet service from CV Móvel. It costs €65 per month. It is not that fast but it is unlimited. You first have to get an account set up with that phone company. They will run the phone line to your residence in case there isn't one already installed, and you have to pay for the installation work. There may be other monthly charges as well. But not much.

As far as permits to stay in Cape Verde. As a British citizen, you only need to pay €50 for the entry visa. Later, you can apply for a resident permit which costs another €50 per year. Frankly, I have been here for 8 years and after a couple years, I stopped paying for the resident permit because they never check once you are in the country. No one ever asks you for this (except interestingly, the phone company once you request the internet hookup...I think they are just trying to make sure you aren't here on vacation and plan to leave after a few weeks of massive downloads LOL). And if you have to leave, you just pay the same €50 for a re-entry visa. You are never asked to justify your previous "overstay" when you approach the immigration officer. Why? Because European and American citizens are welcome without any hassle. They know that you are probably going to invest, start a business, buy furniture, rent apartments and commercial spaces, spend lots of money and drive the economy if you overstay your visitors visa. I guess their flawed thinking is that ALL Americans and Europeans are wealthy (I wish). In other words, even if you don't pay the €50 annual residence fee, they won't throw the baby out with the bath water. They WANT you here as long as possible. LOL

On the other hand, if your brother is a citizen only of Zimbabwe, he'll have a harder time staying here on a long term basis. The easiest way to do it is for you to send him an invitation letter to stay with you at your apartment for a brief vacation,and to indicate that you will pay for all his expenses while he is here. Once he enters the country, just let him stay with you and then apply for a resident visa for him. If you have a small business, that's even better, because you would simply offer him a job. In any event, once he enters the country, no one will come looking for him.

Thank you ever so much CV Angelo, I truly appreciate your help an informative reply.  Most grateful.
:)

Hello again,

I forgot to ask, would it be possible to give us a breakdown of the cost of living in Cape Verde?
Basically, how much would it cost for groceries monthly, electricity, and water. You've mentioned internet is Euro 60.00, this would be for two people, no children etc. excluding accommodation as I have a property in Sal.

Thank you

musiwa wrote:

Hello again,

I forgot to ask, would it be possible to give us a breakdown of the cost of living in Cape Verde?
Basically, how much would it cost for groceries monthly, electricity, and water. You've mentioned internet is Euro 60.00, this would be for two people, no children etc. excluding accommodation as I have a property in Sal. Thank you

Cost of upscale living for two in the capital city Praia on the island of Santiago (all amounts are in euros):

Rent 250
Groceries 250
Utilities 80 (water and electricity)
Internet 30 (limited to 5GB per month each person)
Telephone 40 (cell phone calling credits)
Public Transportation 50
Entertainment & Miscellaneous 100

"Upscale" is what I believe those who move here from developed countries would be most comfortable with. This also includes Cape Verdean professionals. However, the average Cape Verdean couple lives on about 25-33% of that budget considering that the combined salary of a typical working couple might be about 250-300 (assuming both have jobs and there are no kids...so this example is illustrative only as "dual income no kids" is going to be a rare situation in CV...but that's a whole other story...it just gives you an idea of what it would cost if you choose to live "like a Cape Verdean"). I personally live somewhere between the two (like a Cape Verdean in some aspects and like a foreigner in others).

If you rent or purchase a vehicle, add about 25% to that budget as the cost of insurance, fuel and maintenance is going to drive the transportation up to 250.

Increase the budget by 50-60% if you want to live with the same luxuries and under the equivalent conditions you're accustomed to in developed countries.

On the smaller islands, you can chop about 30% off that budget. However, the cost of living in Sal is higher than the capital because of the higher demand and lower availability of everything (the economic consequences of supply and demand). I would suggest, you would need to increase the budget by 30-40% if you are living in Sal (or Boa Vista....the other high-traffic tourist island).

The budget I gave is what I think most expats would be comfortable with. But you can do it on a lot lower budget if all the trappings of convenience are not necessary and if you eat a more "local" diet. But there are others who would easily spend double this budget (because they presumably do not want to lower their standard of living below what they had in developed countries).

Excellent, thank ever so much, most grateful for all your help. The information is of great help to me.

Thanking you most kindly.

musiwa wrote:

Excellent, thank ever so much, most grateful for all your help. The information is of great help to me. Thanking you most kindly.

You're welcome. Feel free to contact me when you are in Cape Verde. I'd be happy to assist with any follow on questions.

Angelo You are indeed THE greatest! The information you give is so valuable and yet you dont ask a penny for it.  Bless you!
I hope to meet you one in Praia over coffee :)

Mulkita wrote:

Angelo You are indeed THE greatest! The information you give is so valuable and yet you dont ask a penny for it.  Bless you!
I hope to meet you one in Praia over coffee :)

Hi Mulkita. You're very welcome. Have you already moved to Sal as you'd been threatening for some time now? 😂

I'm looking forward to meeting you someday...when you finally visit Praia.

Abraço

Hello again Angelo! I am not moved to Sal yet but I come as often as I can. I am coming to Sal in  October this year for fourth time this year :) I looooove that Island but will definitely travel around all the Island one day. Thank you Angelo!

Abraco

Dear Robert

Saw your post. Are you interested to stay in Santa Antao Island?

If interested i do have a cute apartment available

Looking forward hearing from you

My rgds Patricia

@casa laranja

For better exposure to potential renters please post in the Housing in Cape Verde section at the top of this page. This is a free service.