Purchase car in PR or ship from USA into PR? what are the costs?

Is it better to ship my current car into PR or cheaper to buy in PR?  What are the taxes and costs/surcharges in PR for new auto purchases?

I would suggest you read the forum entry "Car Shipping recommendations" as a start. I plan to ship my car, it is a 2014 model and in very good shape, I expect to have to drive it to NY to drop it off and then fly from there to PR.
Expect to pay around 1,200 for shipping your car but a lot of that will depend on where you live and if you are dropping it off or having someone else drop it off for you. When you get to PR you will need to pay taxes on your car in order to retrieve it, some in the forum have the link to the site to help you determine the tax.

Not knowing how good your Spanish is or your ability to determine a good deal on a car and how well it has been maintained, it is hard to say if you should ship or buy a used car. I would recommend you look into how much you will get for your car in the states and how much time you have to sell the car. Also consider what are you going to do if the car sells long before your moving day.

I was going to bring my 2012 Subaru impreza but taxes were estimated at between 3500-5k on top of shipping which is 1200.  I still owed a lot on the car and didn't want to keep making payments when I got here. I also only lost about $650 between what I owed and what I sold my car for.  I have talked to people though who had cars in good condition that were say 8-10 years old and paid for and their taxes were only a few hundred making it worth it. 

-Z

Hi I was struggling with this Same decision but I chose to buy a car. I got here last week and I already purchased a used SUV with low mileage.in great condition. There are many used cars on classificados.

If I sell our car in the US the wife will likely castrate me, she calls her car USS Indigo. She loves that car, so I have to ship it no mater what it cost, I like to keep my you know whats.

it make no sense bringa car here.  1 it cost to much to ship  2 youhave to pay an import tax,  buy a car here