Do and don't in Saudi Arabia - 2015

is everything ok.sounds like our sisters and brothers who goes missing there after being promised greener pastures!!!

Hi iluvicu,

Is it true that what the outside world perceive about Riyadh, in reality the living conditions are totally different from it? I am an Indian and I am planning to relocate to Riyadh in September. I read your comments and felt a sigh of relief that the conditions are not as stringent as the people talk about. Can you share what sort of initial challenges you faced when you relocated to Riyadh? What is the best way to make friends so that one do not have to spend life there in isolation ?

Hello Vaibhavjain,

The culture shock will always be tremendous. You just have to be open to the change and focus on your goal. Sometimes, isolation is bliss. I find networking and joining a group help. The first three months of my stay, I completely went berserk with boredom. It helps if you are an extrovert and willing to face any challenges that come your way. I guess, it is easier for females to make friends because a lot of guys here are lonesome and have their peculiar needs. You start making friends at work and just ask people to take you along. I keep telling myself that I am here to earn and I don't care if I am liked but it gets to me when the days I am off and and there's not a darn thing to do. I still have a few close friends and keeping relationships at bay. Contrary to what westerners think about Saudis, they are not bad. I have met some honest to goodness folks and those that are hungry to experience life other than theirs. Friendship here is like a buffet. Most expats are friendly and eager to take you along . Just be wary of the people you choose to be with and mostly, respect the culture and absorb the change. Good luck and welcome to KSA.

well said iluvicu...

welcome new member...I like your name, "way above"

Gee thanks , it is what it is. No sugar coating.

well duh, its cuz ur a female...do u think I give rats ass if that same thing was written by a guy...screw that!

You are such a dork.. lol. Hamudi, at least give me credit for the post and it's gist. Guys can write  well too. Just because  I'm a woman doesn't give me that preferential treatment, unless a guy wants to score points. That's the thing, to be a strong woman here in KSA pretty much condemns me to date free. I don't know what it is, but manhood is threatened by women who are independent and strong. The hosts guys though are not. It is an exciting thing for them.

Who knows, I might just turn my sexual orientation the other way, coz, I'm sure and I bet, I can get more female friends than male friends. In that way, I can get the affection I want easily and in public too. Like getting hugged and kissed on the cheeks by my female friends and it's ok.

yuck

razaq1 wrote:

yuck

lol... We seem to lose our humor when  in a strange place. That's another thing, People are too serious and into themselves. One blogger would express his or her opinion and there's an uproar coz it does not conform to their way of thinking nor their way of life. C'mon... there are lots of do's and the don'ts are just your choice.

yummm   :D

iluvicu wrote:
razaq1 wrote:

yuck

lol... We seem to lose our humor when  in a strange place. That's another thing, People are too serious and into themselves. One blogger would express his or her opinion and there's an uproar coz it does not conform to their way of thinking nor their way of life. C'mon... there are lots of do's and the don'ts are just your choice.

I haven't lost anything, well apart from my appetite.

iluvicu wrote:

You are such a dork.. lol. Hamudi, at least give me credit for the post and it's gist. Guys can write  well too. Just because  I'm a woman doesn't give me that preferential treatment, unless a guy wants to score points. That's the thing, to be a strong woman here in KSA pretty much condemns me to date free. I don't know what it is, but manhood is threatened by women who are independent and strong. The hosts guys though are not. It is an exciting thing for them.

Who knows, I might just turn my sexual orientation the other way, coz, I'm sure and I bet, I can get more female friends than male friends. In that way, I can get the affection I want easily and in public too. Like getting hugged and kissed on the cheeks by my female friends and it's ok.

I totally hear ya ...

Can we please get back on topic, which is 'do's and dont's in Saudi Arabia' .
Thank you.

hamudi wrote:

well duh, its cuz ur a female...do u think I give rats ass if that same thing was written by a guy...screw that!

A gentleman is simply a patient wolf.

Mariem88 wrote:
hamudi wrote:

A gentleman is simply a patient wolf.

O hey, missed me ? I missed u.... :D

Hello there, awesome people of KSA,

What's with the heat and the humidity? or it's just me. Well, one thing I must say to cope with this is stay indoors and armed yourself with refreshments. I apologize for straying away from the topic and becoming personal. I guess, we all go through this phase one way or the other. I miss the freedom of having an icy cold beer in the middle of the day.But Saudi champagne is so quench thirsting. For those, who just arrived, the malls are bogged down with sales. Shopping for the shopaholic is like finding  never ending. Just be wary of where you go and where to shop and always be on the look out for the flaws in the things you buy. I don't know what it is but many times I bought items that seem to fall apart easily and made of flimsy material. Do the merchants adhere to quality inspection and quality control? Back home, we have this little sticker in items that says, " inspected to be in good quality".  Anyway, have a nice Sunday and happy blogging.

iluvicu wrote:

Hello there, awesome people of KSA,

What's with the heat and the humidity? or it's just me. Well, one thing I must say to cope with this is stay indoors and armed yourself with refreshments. I apologize for straying away from the topic and becoming personal. I guess, we all go through this phase one way or the other. I miss the freedom of having an icy cold beer in the middle of the day.But Saudi champagne is so quench thirsting. For those, who just arrived, the malls are bogged down with sales. Shopping for the shopaholic is like finding  never ending. Just be wary of where you go and where to shop and always be on the look out for the flaws in the things you buy. I don't know what it is but many times I bought items that seem to fall apart easily and made of flimsy material. Do the merchants adhere to quality inspection and quality control? Back home, we have this little sticker in items that says, " inspected to be in good quality".  Anyway, have a nice Sunday and happy blogging.

Theres a drink called 'sobiya' made from malt, very refreshing, you can find it in juice bars

There seems to be a big problem of finding quality items here, so inspect before buying, also check the return/exchange policy of the store

alpha.one wrote:

Theres a drink called 'sobiya' made from malt, very refreshing, you can find it in juice bars

There seems to be a big problem of finding quality items here, so inspect before buying, also check the return/exchange policy of the store

I'd stay away from Sobiya...do u know how it's actually made? it would definitely fail the quality inspection :D

that's a don't for me :P

:o

Do
ask for the manager when seeking help in with anything
avoid going into the bank the system is always down
avoid going into government offices
be persistant if you are not happy with the advice given

Dont :
Drive if it can be helped
expect any type of customer service

hi all there,

it's me Mohamed Jeddah. regarding to DO AND DONT, when u go to a mall (like the mall of Arabia) that i never been since i came back to the kingdom, please dont be shy to talk and socialize with ppl and take it easy when he or she steps in front of you in the queue .... especially, ladies jump in a front of you like they dont know... and please dont wear so much make-up Ms. Lady Gaga. what im saying is be normal like u 're visiting ur friends.

ciao :):heart:

What are the best times to go to Bahrain to avoid causeway traffic?

No weekends.

freeasabird1913 wrote:

What are the best times to go to Bahrain to avoid causeway traffic?

Weekdays are the best times. Weekend evening (Thursday 4-12midnight) is just painful !!

Friday early morning like 5-6am is good :)

Hello everyone,

Anything to add on the topic : Do and don't in Saudi Arabia ?

Cheers,
Bhavna

DO:

- have clear goals regarding your time in Saudi (financial and otherwise).
- look both ways before crossing the street (literally and figuratively).
- make your living space as comfortable and convenient as possible.

DON'T:

- drink the tap water.
- spend too much time around the haters / complainers.
- shun the locals simply for being who they are (we're ALL products of our own environments, experiences, family, histories, etc.)

yeah, im a local guy (Al hada)... and if i were in Taif, i would run from Taif locals for being who they are!! it wud be slightly different if you were in jed or any place else. u reminded me when i was in Zero beach... sorry, i mean VeroBeach , Fl.

Dude, you just enjoy the weather over there and of course the dough  :cool:

ciao

moh-jeddah wrote:

Dude, you just enjoy the weather over there and of course the dough

Beg your pardon Moh and all due respect, I get along with the locals in Taif just fine.

Best.   R

moh-jeddah wrote:

yeah, im a local guy (Al hada)... and if i were in Taif, i would run from Taif locals for being who they are!! it wud be slightly different if you were in jed or any place else. u reminded me when i was in Zero beach... sorry, i mean VeroBeach , Fl.

ciao

He said 'DONT SHUN' means respect their values

:idontagree:    ( I don't get why this smilie says "idontagree" - anyways -  I do )

Dont talk too much, just keep calm and play basketball :)

i guess it means just let it go with the flow !! :idontagree:

Have loads of patience !! And smile on the face :)

all i can say is .... :idontagree: if you know what i mean !

alamographics wrote:

Hello Juan:

I'll be in Saudi soon. Hopefully we can get together and listen to some Salsa music. I don't think that's illegal, unless we kick it into high gear, but without cerveza, going into high gear is probably unlikely.
As for the shortcoming, just keep telling yourself that the money's good. That's how I've survived working in an urban school district with some really challenging city kids.
Well, you got my email address. Hope to hear de ti.

Robert

Good luck. Robert.You must know their greetings such " As-salaamu-Alaikum and wa-Alaikum-Salaam" in English " Peace be with you" as standard salutation among members or non-members of the Nation of Islam.."Respect". I am in the Kingdom since 2006. I am single and currently working  in Jeddah.Your life will be little bit change in terms of the culture and tradition of the host Country compared others. You can find a place that you can really pamper yourself...Just be friendly but not much showing your smile.in order you to be safe....Good if you are single!Hope to meet you here..! and " Masalam" means" Goodbye"! and "Thank you"! means "shokran" and "afwan" means " you are welcome" !
Cheers!
Daniel
Jeddah Saudi Arabia

moh-jeddah wrote:

all i can say is .... :idontagree: if you know what i mean !

Love it...I love what you mean..
Daniel

moh-jeddah wrote:

ciao

Yes,,I extremely agree..
Enjoy!
Daniel
Jeddah

Expat.com wrote:

Are you living in Saudi Arabia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Saudi Arabia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Saudi Arabia?

Thanks!

Hi hello there!
Living in the Arab Country like Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is simple..Firstly,you should know on  how to say,,the greetings  like " AS-SALAAMU-ALAIKUM" as you greet them and "WA-ALAIKUM-SALAAM" as you answered them" in ENGLISH as defined " PEACE BE WITH YOU" as standard salutation among members of the "NATION  OF SLAM".Its just don't make things made your life complicated..Still Biblical...as such command based on words of Jesus in the Semon on the Mount.Otherwise,the Golden rule or ethic of reciprocity..."DO NOT DO UNTO OTHERS WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT OTHERS TO DO UNTO YOU" is a must or follow through.
and just limit your "SMILE".on the Contrary,It seems like you are in the "MARS PLANET",Joke...! I mean there are also still some place in order you to pamper yourself...
Good luck and take good care while crossing the street!
Daniel of Jeddah

Hi all...

Recently moved to Jeddah from Mumbai... joined this forum today to know more about expats life in Jeddah.

Thanks
Amit

early in the morning or at night after 10 pm I guess