My personal motorcycle shipped from USA, Los Angeles area to Manila

heard bad stories about trying to ship a bike from USA to Philippines.  Who as info for me.  just want the most important, how much does it cost, how long does it take, and how long to get here.

well if you heard bad stories -why are you considering it?  have you contacted any shippers?  google has a lot of answers  .

because you cant believe everything a person tells you so getting a few more opinions

Its probably cheaper to buy one in the Philippines. (Less headache and B.S. with customs)  They have all sorts of motorcycles down there, they even have a Harley-Davidson shop on Shaw Blvd and other luxury car dealerships.  I was thinking of shipping my motorcycles down there but I did not want to risk it.  My cousin is from Guam, USA and he shipped his Ducati to Manila and he never got it that was in mid 1990's. (it just disappeared....) It is probably best to get a quote from a reputable logistics company like DB Schenker or DHL.  Just check online to see what is out there.  So much B.S right now with the Philippine Customs. I will probably end up buying one down there because I am too attached to my bikes. :-) You are right, you cannot believe everything a person tells you. I know the feeling....because I want to ship my bikes down there but too scared.  I worked hard for these bikes....so time to buy a new Harley down there.

thank you so much  i am living in the philippines 3 years now and i miss my NINJA 600, INCREDIBLE BIKD

TALIMANGI wrote:

Its probably cheaper to buy one in the Philippines. (Less headache and B.S. with customs)  They have all sorts of motorcycles down there, they even have a Harley-Davidson shop on Shaw Blvd and other luxury car dealerships.  I was thinking of shipping my motorcycles down there but I did not want to risk it.  My cousin is from Guam, USA and he shipped his Ducati to Manila and he never got it that was in mid 1990's. (it just disappeared....) It is probably best to get a quote from a reputable logistics company like DB Schenker or DHL.  Just check online to see what is out there.  So much B.S right now with the Philippine Customs. I will probably end up buying one down there because I am too attached to my bikes. :-) You are right, you cannot believe everything a person tells you. I know the feeling....because I want to ship my bikes down there but too scared.  I worked hard for these bikes....so time to buy a new Harley down there.

There are definitely some issues with customs that adds an element of unwanted headache and hassle. It might be better to sell the bike in your local country and purchase one locally here. I know Honda from time to time will entertain a deal for a 600 cc bike here in the Philippines. That size is rather big for most riders here so don't expect to see many of them on the showroom floors. You have to shop around and be willing to wait for manufacturing and delivery as they are usually assembled to order. Now again, that is with Honda. Ninja is by Kawasaki, which may be different then Honda.

Well, now there is a Harley, Victory/Indian, Ducatti, you name it, they have it. Course a new one will cost about 50% more than in US. But its not worth the headache and risk trying to import a bike. Shippers are easy to find, its the reputable customs broker in the Philippines thats difficult. Plus not knowing how much the customs duty will ultimately be.

My buddy had his bike seized by customs and wound up having to rebuy it through auction.

Hi guys, harley is on edsa, greenhills beside the mercedes dealership.owned by cats motors. Thats right, indian, victory, Ducati is here as well owned by TA Marketing. KTM is here also. Aprilla, mv augusta, royal enfeld, BMW MOTORRAD are all here. Honda on the other hand does not carry big bikes. You can buy grey market. Try suzuki, gsx-r at 750cc at 700t or a gar 750cc at 500t. Kawasaki ninja 650 is here also 340t only. Your really better off buying one here, at least theres warranty. Let me know ill help you out. Im a 20 big bike rider

if you decide to get a new bike from a dealer, i would highly suggest you make sure the dealer has the CSR (Certificate of Stock Report) on hand. If they tell you they are waiting on "manila" that means that it is process with customs which could lead to issues like the unit not being "cleared" as being not stolen, taxes paid and so on. Plus, right now here its taking 2-3 months to clear a bike after you have given the dealer the money which i think is totally ridiculous. It the dealer has the CSR on hand you will likely get your permanent plates in 30 days or less.

Just bought mine and received the plates in 21 days. A transaction can complete without the CSR on hand but why take the risk? Further, why give a dealer money for a unit to wait 2-3 months for permanent plates and have to deal with issue of driving an unregistered unit for 2-3 months. Apparently here, there is now an issue here with LTO and operating your unit (which you could have paid in full) until you receive plates. I was getting mixed feedback from dealers -- some claiming conductor's permits were no longer issued and some saying they still are issued.

Hi I bought  my bike from the UK. I bought  a lovely  New crate for it and shipped  it out to the Philippines. And it should have gone straight  to CDO. But it went to manila and there it stayed for three months. The customs took my bike apart scratched the paint work broke my mirrors  And wanted loads of money to release it. After loads of problems with them they charged  me tax as if it were a new vehicle. When the bike did arrive it was crated with cocolumber. And my new crate had gone. My advice is buy a bike here or if you want to bring your bike then brake it down and put into seperate cases as spears  And rebiuld  it when you get it here. But for the money it costs with tax to bring your bike it's  just not worth it as you can buy a new one for that money. Sorry to give you such bad news but I went down that road and it was very expensive.

Most motorcycles here int he Philippines are limited to 125cc to 175cc due to emissions and road duties.  If you want to have a large bike here it is better to look at one sold by a dealer here.  If you ship your own bike here, you will have all the shipping fees and costs for receiving it here.  When it arrives you will be responsible for the import duties.  These duties may cost as much as the original cost of the bike, plus VAT costs, Duties on the shipping costs to get here and the best of all is if the engine size is over the allowed size, then you may also find yourself paying additional duties for emissions.  I checked it out several years ago and the costs for a bike here went ballistic after you passed the 175cc engine size.  You can check out a lot of this with the customs office here and the LTO for the registration of a large bike.  I personally sell my bike back there and start looking at dealers of custom bikes here in the Philippines and see what the costs would be when purchased from them.  When pricing a bike, make sure you consider all the shipping, customs duties, vats and other fees that you would have to pay when the bike gets here.   Good Luck, RAC

Do they have any UTV dealers like Can Am or the such there ?

maintman wrote:

Do they have any UTV dealers like Can Am or the such there ?

Official dealer, no...but you can get new Can-Am and Polaris UTV's, but they are expensive here

lookingglas2 wrote:

heard bad stories about trying to ship a bike from USA to Philippines.  Who as info for me.  just want the most important, how much does it cost, how long does it take, and how long to get here.

You can bring it, but it will be expensive, and a headache.... much better off to just buy here, if you want Kawasaki they have "big bikes", ZX-6RR up to ZX-14, in Makati on Buendia, Suzuki too has GSXR-600, etc here

I already have one here in the states so I wonder if it would be cheaper to ship it ?

maintman wrote:

I already have one here in the states so I wonder if it would be cheaper to ship it ?

the duties, taxes,etc will be high, even if you have the right contacts...just as a general bar, the same unit here, say a Polaris Razor,etc, would be about twice the retail amount it is in North America....

What if a guy were to do like they used to do on M*A*S*H and have a friend send you a few balikbayan boxes full parts..??

Yep, you got the idea, not as a unit, but disassembled. Many bikes/atv's from China are brought in that way, boxes of parts, frame,etc.

If you want to send your bike here the only way to save the cost is strip your bike and send it in boxes and rebuild here send as spare parts.otherwise you will end up paying more than the bike is worth.otherwise you can buy big bikes here there are Harley Davidson in manila if you want to buy new or second-hand you can buy at KTM.They have big bikes from 125 600 1300cc well that's all I can do for you .all the best.colin

Iwas wanting to send or maybe buy a can am comander utv i don't know if they have a dealer there in Manila any help will be much appreciated

maintman wrote:

Iwas wanting to send or maybe buy a can am comander utv i don't know if they have a dealer there in Manila any help will be much appreciated

Yes they have them here, near the Harley Davidson shop in Greenhills area of Manila, but it will be expensive compared to western cost.

My buddy sent his Deuce via balikbayan. Note that the govt is trying to increase the tax on b boxes so it may be prohibitive.

If you do ship your bike in via boxes, know that you will never be able to register it and if you are ever pulled over or worse, involved in a accident, you will be in some trouble. Now, he is willing to take that risk but its not his daily scoot.

There is some China make utvs being sold down by cruisers saloon. I think they were pretty cheap but not legal to drive on road.

Thanks for the help by chance do you have a name for that Harley Davidson dealer / can am thanks a bunch

Do they let you drive them on the street the can am that is we are moving to Banga soon

maintman wrote:

Do they let you drive them on the street the can am that is we are moving to Banga soon

CAT motors on EDSA in Greenhills has the Harley dealer, next to their Mercedes, Porsche, Lamborghini dealers, all in a row, you can't miss it...No it is not legal to drive a motorized Utv on road, but in the province/rural areas you could run around locally, but no highways. Electric driven stuff is legal to drive on road though. The Can-Am dealer is just a bit north up the street from CAT motors, Annapolis St., same side of the road, close to Greenhills shopping center.

I shipped my cbr 1000 here via a UK shipper of Philippine origin, no hassle no problems, grease money is required, I paid about 8000 peso for registration, it's been here since 2011. Main problem is spares, outside of places such as Manila or Cebu life becomes hard OEM is just not available. I recently refurbished the braking and clutch systems with new master cylinders, had to get from China the cost from Europe or America was more expensive than the bike. the quality is ok, they do the job and not overly expensive, Big tyres are also a problem I could not get 190 zr17 had to get sent from UK. my front is available here a michelin I am assured it's original at 3500 peso it needs to be. My advice do what is best for you, bikes don't disappear, but remember here it's very much who you know. I am sure you can find a Filipino run shipper in whatever country you are in, contact them and see what they can do, you would be surprised at their expertise.

Depending on where you live it is best not to desire the "blow your socks off" bike because it becomes a target of jealousy for Filipinos and, if they can't steal it they will, at least, vandalize it. This is not the country to openly exhibit excessive wealth unless you also hire the security to protect it.

Thanks for the information

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I stripped the bike down and it came in 3 or four boxes but as one consignment. I note that one reply said you cannot register using this method. Well mine is registered!! There is a way for anything to happen in the Philippines, you just need to find the right person. I have had my documents checked many times with no problems. So it is personal choice what you do. I would never pay PH prices for a brand new bike, it is just not worth it, unless you are willing to waste a lot of money. A company called Norkis used to import 2nd hand bikes from Japan, good value. I bought a 600 ninja 1995 ZZR bought in 2005 and it is still here with my bro in law using. Just be aware that servicing, repairs and spares are had to sort. I do all my own work.

Thanks for the reply i priced a can am there pretty spendy i found a place on the west coast that ships bikes cars etc i was just wondering what happens once it gets there paperwork and such and rough guess on taxes and such any more info will be much appreciated  thanks again

maintman wrote:

Thanks for the reply i priced a can am there pretty spendy i found a place on the west coast that ships bikes cars etc i was just wondering what happens once it gets there paperwork and such and rough guess on taxes and such any more info will be much appreciated  thanks again

It would get processed by customs, which may take a bit....taxes would be according to the make, model, and engine displacement, and if you would permanently keep it here or take it back home

lookingglas2 wrote:

Before you will know the costing you need to provide the model, year, and value of your goods.
Based in my experience, just but a motorcycle here in the Philippines and don't bring your motorcycle. You need to pay huge amount in importing your motorcycle plus tax you need to pay.

The exception would be to apply for a retirement visa which would allow you to import some (up to $7000 worth) personal items duty free.

http://pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program2/2?page=1

@madeunique I see prices in the Philippines very cheep to purchase. 30,000 to 44,000 Paso's for Polaris RZR ranger. I was thinking on buying here in Cebu but would have to ship home to America. The problem is what is the price to ship home then.

@madeunique I see prices in the Philippines very cheep to purchase. 30,000 to 44,000 Paso's for Polaris RZR ranger. I was thinking on buying here in Cebu but would have to ship home to America. The problem is what is the price to ship home then.
-@Catmeyer

30,000 to 40,000 pesos is $509.08 to $746.65 USD.

Yeah, not gonna happen at that price. That's probably the down payment. Vehicle sellers in the Philippines love to advertise the vehicle with just the down payment as the price, because almost every Filipino finances the vehicle and that's all they care about.

Not to mention you're probably not going to get a vehicle sold new in Philippines registered in the US. Even an ATV. vehicles sold in the ASEAN region have different safety and pollution standards.

At any rate, this thread is 7 years old, and the OP is long gone.

@dhnindc no, it's actually double. So shipping the bike is a much better option.

@TALIMANGI new Harley there is double the price. A Harley that is paid for has to be way cheaper.

Welcome to the forum earthking. I never looked at the price of new Harleys here but on the OP one has to consider custom fees, duties, vat, shipping and of course the possible brown paper bag.

I considered shipping my Merc, Peugeot 508 wagon (can't buy them here) and a late model Landcruiser tray back, was going to cost me more than they were worth in Australia,,,,, sold them and moved on.

Cheers, Steve.