Currency exchange

Dear All,

I am going to travel to Malaysia on 10th September,15, can anyone please let me know which currency should I carry while traveling & how to get it exchanged.
Thanks

Hi

the best is always to have an ATM card with you as you can get money at every corner and the exchange rate is better than exchanging cash.

Otherwise if you prefer to carry cash best is USD or EUR.

Hi,

You need to get any currency exchanged to Malaysian Ringgit.

Indian Rupees can be easy exchanged to Ringgit.

USD still the best. Do compare the rates offered by different money exchangers. Malaysian banks offer better rates but not all do currency exchange at counter. Rate at airport is always higher.

Jlme Here wrote:

USD still the best..

I must disagree.
The OP would have to exchange her money into US Dollars, then exchange it again when she wants to use RM.
That has to be costly.

Here's what I did.
Make sure you have at least one DEBIT card with the usual international logo (Visa, etc).
Check with your bank before you go, but that card should work in the vast majority of ATMs in Malaysia.

Carry a credit card as well, but only use that in emergencies as it's likely to get expensive.

I bought a few travellers' checks. You negotiate the rate at each outlet, and they work when everything else fails.

Then, get a few hundred Ringgit in cash - you'll need that for the trip from the airport to the city, and the first night in a hotel.

Carry that lot in a hidden wallet, not in a handbag or anything else easy to steal.

Carry your cash properly.  On the whole Malaysia is still safe as compared to her neighbours.