NAQ: Newbie Asked Questions

I will ask as I think of things. I will arrive in Hawalli next month, first time.

1. Is the tap water potable? Delivery available?

2. Can I get bottled Soda water delivered ? From where? 

3. Is there duty on personal items imported, like my espresso machine?

4. What does one typically pay for live in maid service?

5. Pizza?

6. How about street food? Is there any?

7. Are there legitimate massage services/shops? Prices?

Hello Peab00dy and welcome to our sand pit. Let's see....

1. This is a controversial one. Tap water is desalinized sea water so by definition it is clean. However the problem are the water tanks on top of the buildings that are seldom cleaned, if ever. That being said, I have drank tap water through a ceramic filter at home, and I am still around. I am pretty sure you can arrange delivery and a drinking water fountain at home.

2. Not sure about this, but there are online services that deliver groceries, so I am sure you can get soda water as well,

3. I don't think anyone would even blink for you espresso machine, don't worry.

6. There are a million restaurants of "hole in the wall" type that serve excellent and cheap food. I think they would qualify as street food. :)

Don't know about the rest of the questions, as I have no first experience myself with the topics at hand. Someone else probably will!

Thanks for your reply, Ribosom.

I can't help but notice, your user name is very similar to ribosome.

Sure is - it is a Croatian variant of "ribosome". :) My backup nickname if the original is taken.

Cool. Why? Science interest?

Heh, no... :) My schoolmates in elementary school used it to tease me and it kind of stuck.  :joking:

2. you can probably pay the "hares" not landlord per se, person who collects the monthly rent, to pick it up for you, or you can check if www.quick.com.kw or blink.com.kw have your bottled water in stock - they deliver.

4. their take home pay starts at 70KD (based on what i have heard, dont quote me on that), depends on you and your generosity.

5. Upper Crust; hands down. best pizza in Kuwait.

6. concept of street food is not really available in Kuwait in terms that there are no carts that sell food; except for ice-cream which is store-brought and sold through carts for convenience.

7. yes; but by legitimate means that men massage men and women massage women. an exception to this rule would be illegitimate, attainable but at inflated rates and also depending on whether you can find someone to do so or not.

i live in Hawally too; be wary coz there are two hawally's - the overall "district" in Kuwait, Hawally, which encompasses Hawally, maidan hawally, jabriya, salmiya etc. and hawally, an area within the district of Hawally. quite confusing at first.

5. Solo Pizza Napulitana in Kuwait City! It is crazy good!

Thanks, Legacy. Very useful information sounds like I will be missing my massages.

And thanks, too, for the geography info. I wasn't aware of the multiple Hawallys

Thick crust? Delivery?

Thanks for your input!

Hi Legacy

where is upper crust ? I love pizza .. but pizza hut, dominoes and little ceasars .. made me hate pizzas ! :-(