Where to buy appliances

Hey, DR expats.  We're planning on buying at least a refrigerator, maybe propane cooktop, etc. to set up our kitchen basics.  Where in Santiago (or Sosua/Caberete) would you recommend we look?  (Also, what can we expect, if we brought in on our own plane (El catey) a backup generator and power tools to leave at the house? In terms of duty tax, etc?)

Santiago: plaza lama, corruption.  Duty on import 20 to 40% if no residencia plus 18% tax!!!! Yikes.....

In Puerto Plata try Coripio (sp.. they are nationwide and can get stuff sent from their other stores).  Large selection of US grade appliances and at a good price.

Bob K

Hahaha damn auto correct I tried to type corripio......

Corruptio (LOL) in Bonao is crazy expensive. I can't imagine why anyone would buy anything there.  Plaza Lama looks good on paper until you find out nothing works when you get it home. Then good luck.

Best solution is to find a local guy who installs and fixes these things and buy from him. Because at the end of the day he's the guy that's going to fix it.

Actually you can deal with Coripio pretty easily and get a pretty good deal.  AT least that has been our experience.

Bob K

And I have bought lots of items in Plaza Lama, they honor their guarantees!  IF you don't have much time here and if you do not speak spanish, good luck dealing with the local guy...... Its not a great idea unless you have someone you can truly trust acting as intermediary.

Luckily for us, my better half can fix just about anything...so if it works...he'll keep it working...

Maybe if you are local to Plaza Lama they might honor something. But try getting them to come out to another city to fix something and see how that goes. They didn't even want to deliver a new item nor will they come to pick up a defective one either. After you buy it, you become their employee without getting paid. It's just ridiculous.

Even with a one year guarantee, after you buy it and complain they then say there is no guarantee! It's all nuts with them.

I get my guarantees in writing and they all have delivery zones or ranges.  If you choose to live where there are no big stores well........ take the good with the bad honey. You can't have it all, there are trade offs.

We have had no problems with Coripio on guarantees.  In fact they replaced a frig with no questions asked and a mother board on a stove that blew out from a famous ede norte power surge.

Bob K