I want to settle in malaysia

hi everyone
i am planning to travel to Malaysia for undergraduate studies, i will  study mecatronics engineering in malaysia in UTM or UTeM or USM university not sure at the moment so what is the best universities there that accept international students also my budget is about 6k dollars per year ? ,also if i want to settle in malaysia will i find a good job there after being graduated ?,what about the average salaries for engineers  there will it be enough to start a life in KL or meleka i have 50k dollars which i can start my life with them i am joining the university there in sep 2016 so i want some info so i can make my mind also i maybe settle there forever if i found a good job there

Hi,

I knew of someone doing PHd in COnstruction Management with UTM,maybe i can link you to him.

Maybe after coming here, you can better assess if this is most helpful of your long term plan.

We do consultancy for homestay here in malaysia but as to considering settling here, i believe it is a personal consideration.

You will be more informed once here.

Cost of living and quality is quite reasonable.

Regards,

eva

i've got some info that salary shall be about 3000 Rm so is it enough to start a life there?

No you won't get a job here. Yes Malaysia wants your study fees. Then "on your bike and go away" as many unemployed Malaysian grads in Engineering including those from good Unis (eg Imperial College). They get first slice of any jobs. If it was that easy so many would try it. Malaysia is a small country and defends it employment markets. Foreigners are employed en masse for low paid (900 RM or less per month) dirty, dangerous or demeaning work (3Ds) that is for unqualified people from poor countries. True expats are actually few in Malaysia. There are many restrictions on employment of expats,.

Expats need to earn a min of 5k for an employment pass and in engineering only experts (eg 10 years experience) are employed. You have to be at least 27 years old. All the rest are Malaysian. Occasionally some twinning with ASEAN countries means a few jobs for less experienced but again experienced personnel not grads.

hmm what about the MM2H applying ,if i got accepted there (i have the financial ability ) will i have the a chance to get a job there ? also i wanna know what is after being graduating from UTM or UM if i was international student where shall i find a job?

I agree with you nemodot. There is no way company here want to hire a foreigner unless you are with a special skill that Malaysia do not have. Many have been cheated to come here thinking there is good pay job and fabulous life. ending up cleaning houses. becareful

No foreigners are required in Malaysia for high skilled labor, with very few exceptions. They only higher low class foreign labor , no matter if you are engineer , MBAs, or IT graduate, what i understand and my five long years experience in Malaysia, the Malaysian government has also some discouraging policy to protect their labor market, and its ok, they have right to do so, but the worst part is, even private sector don't want to higher foreigner, no matter how skill full you are.
Better you spend money in the countries where it gives you better prospects of job after graduating, for engineering i would suggest to consider, Germany / France / Denmark like non English speaking countries where the cost of study is even lower than Malaysia or if you can afford higher cost, try it in Australia , USA or Canada
Rest is up to you...

Well wisher

what about the degrees there? are they powerful? ii am just making my mind to go and study in malaysia in UTM or UM or UTeM university then find a good country to move to and work there  like canada or germany  i have about 90k dollars to work and settle there

All your post showing money,,?? why ? started from 6 k, now showing 90 K,, What you bring here on this page, ??

well
first i am sorry for anything i typed that annoyed any1
secondly i was just doing some inquiries ,also why would i show off with ppl i dont even know or see o

Mm2h illegal to work. Doh!

Try new Zealand or Canada. After graduating easy to get work permit then citizenship.

Most Malaysian degrees (apart from the best like UM and UPM) are considered seriously substandard. Malaysians aspire to study abroad for good reasons and those who can't afford that often do more practical things like take professional exams eg aircraft technician as pays well

Nemodot has a point.

Most malaysians want to study overseas especially US becoz of better learning standards. I even have my niece studying in Minnesota, nephew in Australia. In Malaysia, overseas qualification makes the cut but opportunity goes to Malaysians themselves. Coz employers know its easy to deal with and dont have to worry abt visa problems

MOSllhy,

Info on:

1)MM2H, click on the link: http://www.mm2h.com/mm2h-requirements-t … AmCn8P8HAQ

2) For the MM2H visa incentives, click on this link: http://www.mm2h.com/about-mm2h-visa-incentives.php

If you can fulfill the requirements, you should have no problems.

It is wise that you do not post in a public forum how much money you have because you will be a good target to scammers and there is no need to post the amount of cash you have because the info is irrelevant to the forum readers except for scammers.

It is difficult for foreigners to get a job in Malaysia...it is also hard for some Malaysians to get a job in Malaysia  :D.

If you really love Malaysia and find it is a great place for you to start a life, family and etc.... it can work, not easy! but can work. I have friends who married locals, start their own biz, one began with being freelance photographer ended up running his own really nice guest house in Fraser's Hill. One owns quite a successful CSR consultancy with his local wife. Another a Senior Manager at a foreign-local joint venture. So many good examples.

If you are here just to experience Malaysian's culture and living, student's visa will be best. You can contact any schools, college & universities. Malaysian's degree is not as powerful as Australian's or UK's standard but it helps Malaysians to get a decent job in their own country.

To get an employment in Malaysia as a foreigner, just like what Nemodot mentioned you have to have a good network, the possibility of people in your circle of friends or acquaintances informing their company has a vacancy is higher.

Good luck.

Malaysians now want to leave malaysia and yet u want to settled in here. However i respect ur decision. I am engineer as well and a part time real estate agent. I born here study here and work here..and yet i wish i could work in better country like UAE, Saudi, Abu Dhabi or at least Singapore. U can get good degree in UTM for engineering however u cant get a fresh graduate work in Malaysia. tht is just impossible..companies are only hiring experienced expats with ridiculously high salaries. Like my company indian expats are earning average more than 5k USD and British and Norweigian earning at least 7 or 8k USD. Since large part of malaysian economy is driven by OIL and Gas products.

Zafizat,
" I am engineer as well and a part time real estate agent. I born here study here and work here..and yet i wish i could work in better country like UAE, Saudi, Abu Dhabi or at least Singapore. "

What is stopping you? Go ahead and send out your resumes...I come across a few international companies overseas looking for qualified engineers. If you can't do it now, maybe one day when you have gained more profound experiences and skills in your job.

People leave their country to work or settle at other countries one of the MANY reasons is because they feel they are a "Big fish in a small pond" so they want to explore outside of their own country. Malaysia is a small pond in comparison to other countries.Good luck.

well said , Malaysia is small pound for big fish, better chose some ocean

MM2H is for those foreigners who can deposit RM100,000.00 for your stay here in Malaysia. It is recommended for those who wants to spend retirement age in paradise.
If you want to study here get your degree, then find work as a management trainee, it is possibile Work permit is only given to individual who are sponsored by their boss. YOU can work here provided your spouse is a Msian. And don't forget all else depends on your visa requirements, that would be under Immigration. Visa and work permit is like husband and wife. If you meet all the government requirements, then you have nothing to worry about.
Big fish or small fish, whether it is in the pond, river or ocean, can a fish ever drown?

At the moment KL fish is a dirty fish choking on fumes. I can taste the haze and making me sneeze!

Nemobot is saying it right, and also whoever said that its better to study in a country where employment is stronger for the thing you want to do.

Oh i want to say this. I have no idea what "mecatronics" is but lets say you determined Denmark is the country making the most pioneering advances in the field. So, if you choose Denmark for school they will not only have the right course work but also the employers, seeing that you graduated from schools they knew and recruited from, will give you the best consideration for jobs.

I think students often do all of this backwards because, for example, they study in a place which has no market for the work later and then when you have to leave, what are now foreign employers have no idea what you studied, cant verify the work or appropriateness of the school and then what, start school all over again? Furthermore, Malaysia schools are not so well received internationally so studying here could be for nothing. Also, students often think short term, on a budget, and not the long term. They might pick Malaysia because its cheaper to study and then say they want a high paying job later and think they have fooled the system. But then you find out nobody cares about that cheap school you went to. Find the place best for your specific career interest and then choose the school to match that, not the other way around. If you want to be a film producer in Hollywood and the USC film school in Los Angeles lands Hollywood jobs for the greatest number of students, thats where you are going to school because Hollywood has zero interest that you graduated from Malaysia Film Academy. "Well i cant afford to study at USC!" Too bad. Figure it out!

This thinking can change if, for example, you had an employer in mecatronics in Malaysia who is willing to hire you for a good salary provided you graduate from UITM and then you go there and do the recommended course work and get on with it. But such an arrangement would be rare at best because the few available jobs will be first offered to locals unless you have unique talent anyway. But thats the idea track.

Canada, more than New Zealand, wants to expand in the engineering fields and that country is also large enough to support a variety of jobs. Malaysia is NOT.

Also, I see that many students desire to study next to their own kind, like Muslims wanting to study next to other Muslims, or white people want to be near other white people, or Italians wanting to study where other Italians go. This is a giant stupid mistake. Dont even go that way at all. Though networking is very important as a student, put your own future first and nevermind what others are doing. Make friendships of anyone who can do you some good and never think same background like religion or color means success.

Is everything an absolute? No. Are there many variations and exceptions to the rules? Of course. Are they likely to happen to you? You tell me.

There are many good points in this thread, take them to heart.

Hello you can contact me on *** for all your queries regarding setting up in Malaysia.

Arshad

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Everyone,

Take my Salam 'Assalamualicum'. Let me introduce myself. I am Mohammad Atikur Rahman from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I have a wish to relocate myself to KL. bcoz of Malaysian life standard is high,  it's a Muslim country other than this whether and culture are near to BD and a good number of Bangladeshi are present in there. i have 8 and half years (3 years managerial experience) work experience in Telco industry in Finance division.

I will be very grateful if you pls give your expart view regarding below issues:

1. Visa
2. Job opportunity
3. Living cost
4. other

Thanks,
Mohammad Atikur Rahman

I came to Malaysia with a bit more than 45k USD about 8 years ago (still here). Here I am to give u a full gist on how your 50k usd and your life will possibly turn out after 1 year (many people won't like the bitter truths am about to spill):
1. Malaysia is very deep in racism, culture and religion so, a lot will depend on your race/nationality, religion and cultural background.
2. In your first year you will have lots of friends cos you are fresh meat with loads of cash. Your university  (which ever one you choose) will suck up more cash than they advertised and the taxi drivers will murder you at the slightest chance (not literally ofcourse).
3. Your cost of living (proper living) is not as cheap as people say. When I say proper I mean 'having a balanced life' as you want to 'start life'. Please check international student's tuition for your program of interest and do the maths based on your usd50k.
4. Your cash flow will have only one direction  (debit - out flow). You won't find any usable job while studying (it's also not permitted to work as a foreign student).
5. By end of year 1, the reality of the matter will dawn on you and your financial mathematics will fail you. You will probably call home for more money. Good if you can get more but the cycle will continue again and your family may start thinking on your behalf.
6. In the meantime, you will quickly learn that Malaysia does not need you in their work force. They just need your foreign exchange (fees and expenditure). Then the real struggle will begin. Your life may have to ply an alternate route but by then you may be running out of cash and options.
7. If you manage to develop very strong networks and impress someone that is noteworthy you may probably land yourself an ok job after graduation (I did but all my peers did not) where you have to learn and adapt to the absolutely shocking culture at work.
8. If (7) above is not the case, you are toast. You will return to where you came from or go somewhere else. By then you must have spent 4 or so years of your awesome life (in waste or in gain? You be the judge)

So, if you are able to read my post till this point, the genius in you will tell you to find another country but the not-so-genius in you will tell you to go ahead anyway.

Wishing you all the best in the pursuit of your dream.

Atik1982 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Take my Salam 'Assalamualicum'. Let me introduce myself. I am Mohammad Atikur Rahman from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I have a wish to relocate myself to KL. bcoz of Malaysian life standard is high,  it's a Muslim country other than this whether and culture are near to BD and a good number of Bangladeshi are present in there. i have 8 and half years (3 years managerial experience) work experience in Telco industry in Finance division.

I will be very grateful if you pls give your expart view regarding below issues:

1. Visa
2. Job opportunity
3. Living cost
4. other

Thanks,
Mohammad Atikur Rahman

Hi you don't mention your quals but chances in finance, accounting admin etc are basically zero (loads of locals available and pay low so no work permit) Also to a certain extent rascism means as a bangledeshi you are only considered for jobs like working in a restaurant as a foreign worker earning 900 rm a month minimum wage living ten to a room. Rarely you meet other ASEAN country members with finance jobs as slightly easier to hire legally. But not from elsewhere.

If it was easy 1 billion Indians would be here as I cant work out where the rumour comes from about Malaysia being " paved with gold" and easy jobs with lots of money etc

Maybe same as all the Indians in USA claiming back home to be rich and successful but in reality drive taxis..... They lie to save face. Then the myth carries on and more suckers arrive

@Nemodot: I kind of agree to an extent but not completely.

@Atik1982: I have met some Bangladeshi experts in similar and other fields here (British American Tobacco, Research Institutes and some other MNC).
Chances are very very slim for you but, you need to display your qualifications and expertise then cast your net. Even though there are many local graduates here, majority of them seem to lack the expertise and exposure to make global scale impact. Many local companies are now realising this the hard way. It will help a lot if your 8 years experience was not entirely in Bangladesh. For example one of the Bangladeshi I met had 6 of his professional work experience in Japan. He speaks Japanese fluently and adopts Japanese work style. His skill set is quite in high demand in Malaysia and he landed a job after many months of searching. My advice:
1. Check your qualifications, acheivements and skills against what is available/required in Malaysia. If you truly think you can stand out, move on to point 2 below. If not, forget it.

2. Research a few companies/industry you are interested to join.

3. Forget about randomly sending your resume... It is entirely useless in your case cos no matter how well written it is, you still bear the mark of a NO-NO. Apologies if I sound harsh but it is the plain truth.

4. Establish some deep effective networking within chosen companies/industry (not just KL... network across as many states and even countries as you can). With 8+ years experience I believe you know how to do this. And I don't mean over the internet or forums like this.

5. Peole in your network that see your potential will request for your resume. Then only you send your resume. Follow up as much as you can. Wait for the news.

6. Remember that you may not get the job at all but, the network you have built will expose you to even better opportunities than what you had in mind. So, enjoy the process and investment; it will pay off one way or the other.

GoodLuck!

@akaebux, Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please exchange your contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

UTM is probably one of the best engineering universities in Malaysia:
http://www.news.utm.my/2015/09/utm-in-w … echnology/

I am from UTM and therefore I am promoting UTM :) UTM graduates are everywhere in Malaysia and abroad.

6000 usd =~ RM26,000
Presuming you don't spend a lot, you might spend RM1000 for basic living cost per month, then you will have about RM14,000 left for others. I have no idea how much is the tuition fee for the internation students but you can perform a quick search on the university's website. 

If you are good, you might be able to find a job but I would say it won't be easy for you as you will need to be very outstanding otherwise most jobs will go to the Malaysians. But nothing venture nothing gain.

On salary for a fresh engineer, I would say RM2500-3500. Depending on your lifestyle, Melaka is cheaper, so with this money, you can survive. In KL, you might not be able to save much.     

Good luck.

Heng

Hi,

I noticed that there are many negative views about Msia. My respect to those giving positive thoughts. Many people like to come and settle down in Msia for many reasons.Only the person knows.

On a positive note that its not impossible to study or settle down in Msia with USD 90K. If you have that much means that you are somebody or with some special skills.

I think you are going in business and study as well.

As a director of company you will be able to secure a visa and student permit which ever you think is better. 

Even those foreigners without money, qualification and permit are doing well in Msia.

My ten cent view.