RE: ETC Clearance for Malta Work Permit (student) URGENT!!!!

Hi guys, just came across this website and I thought I give it a shot.

I am a student from Singapore who is going for internship in one of the reputable lodging properties in Malta, and my organization has helped to apply me for a work permit via ETC 2 months ago.

The problem is my internship is starting in a few days and I can't go over without the clearance from ETC!!!! (Rules from institution to have my work permit and then allowed to go)

The organization has contacted ETC and ETC said they were just waiting for the Police to clear it..... So guys can I ask based on your experiences how long more would it take??? As its a Friday today, and I guess they won't be in the office during the weekends.. HELLPPPPP

Hi DarkshadOw,

without having all background information ( your organization ?, lodging property = hotel ? , length of internship and so on)

The employer ( lodging property ?) normally applies for a work permit for non-EU employees. You can apply yourself but the chances of being denied a work permit are higher.

The police clearance is usually the first step , then the ETC have to pass on the application to the European Job Agency ( EURES). The employer has to prove that no European interns are interested. All in all a quite complicated and time consuming process and you can't count on receiving a work permit.

Do you already have a visa ?

It is impossible to give you a timeline if the ETC can't .

Sorry I can't be more positive on the issue.
Ricky

Hi Ricky!! Thanks for the quick reply
I am afraid I cannot disclose any information with regards to the information of my lodging property due to private and confidential matters but they were the ones who helped applied for my work permit. As for my Visa, Singaporeans enjoy visa-free entry into Malta.

However, the ETC Unit Manager said that the Clearance will be automatically issued once the Police cleared my permit. So will it hence still need to go under the EURES process? Based on your experience. Thanks!!

Btw my length of Internship will be 6months, a hotel and I have also found my accommodation!!! So I am actually prepared to go there but the permit is the problem... Praying for a miracle to happen these 1-2 days however I'm gonna give up hope after seeing all the relevant posts..