License in Belize

I am a veterinarian in the USA and I am considering moving to Belize. How hard is it to acquire license in Belize?

Hi Lavet,

Welcome on board :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Belize Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien

probably impossible.     why would you try?   the population of the entire country is only 350k   there is a tiny percentage of people who invest in the health care of their animals.   I see brahmas & horses staked out all day on pasture, over 90 degrees F, in the sun with ZERO water.  Internal and external parasites are epidemic for people and pets.    The number one health problem for children is malnutrition and parasitism....  so what do you think it is for dogs????    Head lice and scabies are also epidemic and very difficult to treat.  any skin problem must be treated with anit-inflamatories, antibiotics, anti-fungals and insecticides.  The slightest cut will become infected with all the pathogens, unless treated preventatively due to the heat and humidity and exposure.   

In our town of 10,000 people there are 2 veterinarians trained in the Caribbean countries (moderate skills) with limited drugs available, 1 USA trained, highly skilled former Peace Core volunteer who brings in drugs from the USA, plus i charlatan who employs a tech who sees all the patients.   She trained via internet!!!!    There are 3 retired vets.   The regulations tend to be selectively enforced against the gringos.

The rule  here is that if a Belizean can do the job, no foreigner will get a work permit for that job.   The permits are $2000 a year, plus you will pay $100 a month to immigration until you get your permanent residency.  It may take YEARS to get your residency.    If you like Belize as a place to live, it is possible.  however, you will probably find that you can practice your profession only as a hobby, but never enough to support yourself.

Unfortunately there is a need but, not a big market for commercial veterinarian services in Belize.  You can probably develop a client base amongst the expat community and a portion of the Belizian community that can afford veterinary services depending on where you set up shop .  Don't plan on making big money though. The fee structure for this and most services is far lower than what one might pay in the states.

Based on how you come in you might be able to start a business but not work it.  Or, you have to sit out working until you get residency then you can get a work permit.  One exception in the work permit process is if you can prove what you do is a skill that most Belizians do not possess.  Then you can get an exception to the rules.

In contrast there is always a need for experienced veterinarians to support the animal rescues in Belize.  There are several organizations that rely on volunteer veterinarians to support services for rescued animals and those who cannot afford regular veterinary care for their animals.

The are others on this and other forums with far more knowledge of the process and do's and don's than me.  So solicit  lots of feedback so you can make an informed decision on bringing your skills to Belize.

Good Luck

Kevin