Cost of living in French Polynesia

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in French Polynesia.

Don't forget to mention where in French Polynesia you are living.

How much does it cost to live in French Polynesia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

> accommodation prices. for living in polynesie the best in to rent or co-rent a house. there are not a lot but in tahiti, moorea and the presquile is possible to find something. also is possible to live in pensions paying pour month but is not recommendable because is not the same comodity that living in your house and sometimes are very expensive for the quality and service obtaine. normally the price par month is 60-70.000 pfc (500-570 eu). in another way the price of the rent-houses varies from 400 to 1000 eu. for me the best place for renting is the south-est of tahiti and the south est of the presquile. the combination of sea and mountain is wonderfull in both cases, not a lot of habitants and prices of 400-500 eu per month. in the far islans/archipels there are not a houses and depends of the luck. is very important to note that the cheap houses are basically equiped but sometimes the quality of the houses and materials are old/little used. but as i said the important is the paradise out of the door no?

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Hello, since i lived in Tahiti for 20 years,

--> Public transportation are about 1.5 euro, but the timetable is not often respected.
--> Food is so expensive, specially if you like eating exported goods. I cant really tell you how much it cost me, because i lived with my parents.
--> In french polynesia they have a system alike that in france, you contribute every month on the base of your salary and all medical matters are refunded.
--> Since French polynesia is part of France, there are some public schools, which you dont need to pay. Private school are however quite expensive.
--> Common bills: Know that we have the most expensive electricity in the world. Regarding internet, only one operator exists, so the price are so high, for a pity slow connection.
--> Restaurant are also so expensive, for one person, it starts from 3000 (apetizers, main meal, dessert) to 10 000 Fpcf
--> Beer or a regular alchohol drink reaches 500 FCFP (for beer) and 1000FCFP
--> Cinema costs 1050FCFP

Electricity prices were just raised today along with gas prices.
How much money do you need per month to live like the natives live in Tahiti if you are retired?

Does health care cost the same as in Paris?
What does everyone eat that isn't so expensive?
I read that the price of the baguette rose today too, but it costs less in Tahiti than in Paris.

What do people do for entertainment if they don't have a lot of money?

Can you live on 50,000 euros a year in Tahiti?
There is no income taxes or inheritance taxes, so it should be possible.

Is English in demand there? Do they need any native language teachers?

Life is very expensive to Tahiti because of the remoteness but you can also live on a shoestring. You can fish, live fruits and vegetables that you harvest. The climate is good all year. You can sleep a beautiful star on the beach