SHOCKED AND ASHAMED

http://s2.glbimg.com/GDBtDmD8exeV2jKKs-QpzbYzk44=/s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2015/09/03/aylan2.jpg
I could not bring myself to post the heart wrenching photo of 3-year old Aylan Kurdi laying dead on a Turkish beach, because I would not be able to see clearly enough through my tears to write what I desparately want to say here. So, I've posted this representation that's circulating on the social networks reminding us just how precious he, and his 5-year old brother Galip, were to all of us wherever we may live.

The blood of this, and so many other Syrian children, is on our hands. We did this to Aylan and Galip.We closed our eyes to what is going on and simply allowed this to happen. We turned a blind eye and permitted our respective governments to sit back and do nothing to prevent it. We didn't care enough, because after all it was happening somewhere far away and didn't concern us and OUR CHILDREN.

Well, I'm here to tell you all that in one horrific moment Aylan, Galip and all the other children in the same desparate situation BECAME OUR CHILDREN. That's right, yours and mine and we have a moral duty to protect the rest of them from meeting a similar fate to Aylan. A fate that has left the whole world SHOCKED.

http://www.fatosdesconhecidos.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ref-600x338.jpg

Aylan Kurdi, 3-years old and Galip Kurdi, 5-years old

Why am I ASHAMED, and who am I ashamed of? I've never until now been ashamed of being a Canadian. Quite to the contrary, I had always been extremely proud to be a Canadian and proud of my country. That is no longer true, because my country and its government did almost nothing to prevent Aylan and Galip's deaths. In fact, Citizenship and Immigration Canada denied the family's refugee claim, essentially putting these two children on that boat. I'm ashamed at the dismal response of the INERT Canadian government in regard to the emergency that now exists in the Middle-East.

I am ASHAMED of my new home, Brazil, and of its government because they, while slightly better than Canada, have done almost nothing to provide refuge for these poor souls. I'm ashamed of myself and everyone around me who just ignored all of this carnage until now. We should have been putting pressure on our governments, writing letters, sending e-mails to any politician who we would think of, but we didn't.

Just some cold hard facts to think about:

Canada accepted only 200 Syrian refugees in 2014. Canada, the second largest country on the planet, with room for every last Syrian accepted only 200. I have only one word for that - PATHETIC.

Brazil, the 5th largest country on the planet, only accepted 284 Syrian refugees in 2013 (last year I can find figures for). Like Canada, Brazil has enough space to accommodate every last Syrian man, woman and child. MISERABLE.

United States of America, who love to call themselves the most powerful nation on Earth only took in 350 Syrian refugees. They too have decided just to slam the door in the face of all the other Syrian applicants despite the Emma Lazarus quote on a plaque at the Statue of Liberty, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” SHAMEFUL

Now we've got the unmitigated gall to comment in any way on the European refugee crisis. Well let's look closer and see just how some of the European countries left us, and our feeble efforts, far behind them.

Sweden took in 30,000 Syrian refugees and Germany took in 18,000. As if I wasn't already ashamed enough of my country's pathetic response, these two tiny countries (size), had to go and rub my nose in it, making me that much more ashamed at Canada and Brazil.

Thank God that it appears at least some governments have a heart. We aren't doing enough, we must all do more. We must all put pressure on our governments to follow the lead of Sweden and German in trying to save these little children........ OUR CHILDREN.

In sadness,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

An Open Letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Immigrations Minister Chris Alexander:

Honorable Prime Miniister and Minister Alexander, as a Canadian citizen and as a father I cannot find words to sufficiently express my indignation to have found out that my country turned away the family of Aylan Kurdi, essentially putting them on the boat and led to the deaths of Aylan, Galip, and their mother.

You can't begin to imagine my shame knowing that despite appeals made by the child's aunt and community groups in Vancouver, someone at Citizenship and Immigration Canada failed to understand the gravity of this family's situation and grant their request for refugee status.

It is incomprehensible that someone in my country's government would refuse the refugee claim of any individual, having family already in Canada, when they faced such clear and imminent danger.

It is revolting that Canada, the second largest nation on the planet, took in only 200 Syrian refugees while much smaller nations like Sweden gave refuge to 30,000 and Germany 18,000. Canada once was known around the globe as being "the World's Peacekeepers" through their missions with the United Nations. That reputation has been eroded over the past years to such a point that now even Brazil is taking the lead in that sense.

While innocent men, women and children are dying my county's government sits on its hands and is doing almost nothing to stop the carnage.

Gentlemen, I pray to God that each night when you lay your heads on your pillows that the image of poor little Aylan Kurdi laying face down on the beach will be all that you can see. I hope that image will haunt you for the rest of your lives and won't allow you to sleep, because as a Canadian, knowing what you both failed to do that image haunts and shames me.

No longer a proud Canadian,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

I was on a long vacation. Went back home to Malaysia for 3 weeks which is why I wasn't able to comment on many of the forums' threads.

I also watched the latest news about the surging number of refugees trying to escape the violence and finding for a safe haven. Although I am not exactly a Canadian yet but a Canadian PR, I am also sad to know that Canada hasn't done much to help these folks. I also wish that countries in South East Asia like Malaysia / Singapore itself could do more to help. But that's only wishful thinking as Malaysia itself hasn't had a good track record when it comes to accepting migrants.