I want to adopt a baby in Sau Paulo

This Blog has been so helpful and I hope it is able to help us as well in this very personal and crticial decision we took.

We have Permanint Residency in Sau Paulo. We are currently living here. We have a daughter who was born here so Brazilian as well.

We would like to adopt a baby within the coming 6 months not later than 9 months...

Could anyone help us understand the process?
or direct us to English speaking parents who have done the same?

Thanking you

Hello Brazil14,

The process of adoption in Brazil is regulated by law and is handled by the Conselho Tutelar (Brazil's child protective service) and the Vara de Infância e Juventude (Brazil's Family Court).

To be quite honest with you, the Courts will probably not easily consider adoption by non-Brazilians. They have a primary obligation to place any child first with the biological parents, second with immediate family, and last of all then a substitute family. That is the legal mandate they have.

Also there is a presumed requirement of placing a Brazilian child with a Brazilian family at all costs. Then too infants and children under 3 years of age are the most adoptable and the get adopted without much delay at all. That said, familys are placed on an adoption waiting list and they are fully screened. Most wait years before they are offered a child for adoption.

Don't think for one moment that you're going to be able to adopt a baby or infant here. If it happens at all it's going to take years, lots of investigations and probably a good lawyer.

If you're willing to adopt a child who may otherwise be considered "unadoptable", one over 3 years of age, or negro, or one with health problems, then maybe you'll stand a chance of adoption, but it's still going to be a long drawn out process.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Dear James,

Thank you so much for your swift reply although we were more optimistic. We had an idea than the adoption process here is very tough which is great & honestly respected but not almost impossible.

Yet we still want to try our luck. Is there any lawyer you kindly recommend who we can get in touch with?

Thanking you

Really you don't need a lawyer, you should go to the local office of the Conselho Tutelar and register with them to be put on the waiting list for adoption. Don't expect anything in the near future, especially if you're looking for a newborn. You may have better luck if you consider adopting an older (over 6 years) child, non-white child, or a child who has special needs.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Brazil14 do u have an email address as 2 are looking into adoption also and I have a link I would like to send u about adoption in brazil, it's a good read and could prove to be helpful for u. It tells u what u need etc and the process. Hope to hear from u and be able to send u this helpful link.

Brazil14 do you have an email address as we to are looking into adoption also and I have a link I would like to send you about adoption in brazil, it's a good read and could prove to be helpful for you. It tells you what you need etc and the process. Hope to hear from you and be able to send you this helpful link.

Hello mags79,

Perhaps you would be so kind as to share the information here on the open forum where it will be of great assistance to any of our members who may express interest in trying to adopt here in Brazil. Sharing such information in private doesn't help many people, now does it?

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team