Got an offer of RM 12,000 per month

Hello, I just got an offer of RM 12,000 per month from Subang, Malaysia. I will be moving with my wife and new born baby with me. In Pakistan I am making equivalent of RM 5,000 and I easily save RM 3,000.

Considering my needs as follows, what would be my monthly expense for me, my wife and new born baby:

1. Rent a 2 bedrooms Condo
2. Electricity for Microwave, 10 hours a day 1 air conditioner. And water
3. Internet and TV cable connection
4. Car fuel of 150 litre per month
5. Car maintenance
7. Eat out in normal restaurant once a week.
8. Movie tickets once a month
9. Grocery for cooking lunch dinner and breakfast at home for 30 days.
10. New born baby expenses of milk and diapers.

We wont be needing new clothes or furniture. Please advise if any other expenses that incur.

Regards,

I just message you. Please check. Jessie

Hi with current exchange rates and a baby I reckon you will be worse off. Especially if away from family and support, KL is expensive. You could easily be wiped out financially with one bout of illness. One twisted ankle and 8,000 RM gone. Dengue look at 5-10,000 RM. Babies get sick often!

2 bed condo is a min of 2,000 RM and that is far away from centre. bills all in at least 500 RM. Car will cost you 1,500 to 2,000 RM per month (are you given a car?) all in (roughly). That is a for a local car l(Proton or Perdua). A decent car will cost a lot more.

Food etc is getting expensive- day by day - and FX rate will feed through to 20% price rises soon. Even cook at home it isn't cheap - you should here my local colleagues moan!

New born baby. In Malaysia a money pit.

Unless this is a strategic career move I would think again. If the RM keeps sliding we may again get capital controls. Meaning hard to get cash out if you do save.

You can live off the net salary you will get (I presume you don't mean 12k net) but saving 3k reliably???? To compensate for the risk you need to save 5k say. That won't happen.

@ llmjessie > Would be great if you could give such information on the forum itself so that other members can benefit from them.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Ok.

Here is the reply:

1. Rent a 2 bedrooms Condo - RM2000/month for fully furnished condo
2. Electricity for Microwave, 10 hours a day 1 air conditioner. And water - RM300/month
3. Internet and TV cable connection - RM100/month
4. Car fuel of 150 litre per month - RM300/month (based on current petrol RON95 price at RM2/liter)
5. Car maintenance - can I know what car?
7. Eat out in normal restaurant once a week. - lunch or dinner? Each would cost you RM30-50/meal.
8. Movie tickets once a month - RM15-20 per person
9. Grocery for cooking lunch dinner and breakfast at home for 30 days. - RM300/month
10. New born baby expenses of milk and diapers. - Milk powder about RM90 for 1.6kg; Diapers range from RM30-50/pack.

Hello, thanks for the guidance. I will not be living in KL city center, it is going to b near Shah alam/Subang. I will be given medical facility from company but not my wife and child.

Car is not given by company, I plan to purchase one when I am there. Local one may be Perdua. What is smart choice to get it lease or purchase it paying full amount at once?

12K is net of tax. Any possibility of saving 5-6k provided I do medical insurance of wife and kid (500RM/year)?