Got Indian driving license, how to legally drive in KL

Hello Friends,

I have a driving license from India. And wanted to know how can I legally be driving or riding here.
Can anyone advise.

It would be great if you share some detailed or brief idea about it, whatever possible. Thanks!

Hello bharadwajc and welcome on board

I think you should convert your licence to Malaysian Licence. While waiting for members there to best advise, please check out this thread for information :

> Convert my licence to malaysian driving licence

Other threads talking about licence issue may be of help in our forum section : Cars Kuala Lumpur, Transportation in Kuala Lumpur

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you Kenjee for the advice, let me go through the link given.
If anyone still feels there's a solution and they know; please feel free to post and suggest.

just use your indian driving license. its still valid provided written in english

Hi bharadwajc ,

You don't need to convert your License to Malaysian License , Indian License itself is Valid to drive with in Malaysia depending on you have valid work permit of more then a Year ,  plus your License details are in English.

I am also using my Indian License to drive around form last 1 year.

Thanks Nikhil. My license is in English and I'm on a Dependant Visa for 1 year.
Is it okay – can I still drive with my Indian License and I'm bit confused since some of our friends say we need to go to Indian Embassy and get an attestation here from JPJ before driving. So do you have any clue about it.

@vimobe: Thanks for your word. Though I'm driving with my Indian license for now and have never been stopped but some of my friends give me another procedure like going to JPJ getting the license attested and a letter etc.

Are you very sure that the license can be used without anything done before hand. Thanks!

@bharadwajc: Actually it shouldn't be any problem , i have been stopped by cops few times , showed them License and docs , then waited for few mins as they arugue on rules and all like can not drive and , then at the end they  let Go when i showed them Printed version of JPJ Website stating the Citizens of India are allowed to drive here with there Native License.

Sounds super.
Can you share with me where can I get a Printed version of JPJ Website stating the Citizens of India are allowed to drive with their native license.

http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/eng/acceptanc … ng-license

here is the Link

Thank you so much – it will be great help.

We went to Putrajaya Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan (transport office) today and they told us that Indian Driving License is valid to drive in Malaysia. We need not apply for Malaysian driving license.

Yes it is valid to drive in Malaysia , i am already been driving here since this whole year  :D

Adding on this, we had been to JPJ Seremban where they said that Indian Driving License is not valid. We have to apply for Malaysian DL and wait for 30days to get the same.

We then went to Putrajaya JPJ as it was near to us and the officer there gave us a sheet which states it is legal to use our existing DL [ SECTION 28 OF THE ROAD TRANSPORT ACT (APJ) 1987].

More than 30 countries were listed in the sheet.

Yup same sheet i have , actually that article is available online on JPJ website , whenever cops stop me i just show them the printed version of document and then i am Free men ;)

Thanks er.nikhilmahawar again!
The article link is here –
http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/eng/acceptanc … ng-license

Define legal.

My license is blue and has 50 RM written on it  :whistle:

Seriously never been asked to show my Malaysian driving license.

I know a guy who is leaving soon from Malaysia and want to sell his car. can bargain.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of external links / groups / websites not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

It's strange that I did not find United Arab Emirates in the link above that shows countries whose driving license work in Malaysia.

I hold UAE driving license and want to know if  I can drive with it in Malaysia.

Thanks.

Surprisingly, UAE is not on the list and some terrible driving countries are on the list. Maybe drivers from countries that actually follow the rules wont be able to manage here ;-)

Hi Sir ,I am facing same problem..I don't what to do ..can I get your contact numbers..that link can't open

Governmnet has now stopped all new foreign licence transfers. It was in the news.

You now need to the tests as if a new driver.

Hi,

Are u still using the Indian licence.

The link does not seem to work.
If you could share the picture of the page you have or send it to me on private message would be helpful.

Thanks
Azi

Replying to: "Actually it shouldn't be any problem , i have been stopped by cops few times , showed them License and docs , then waited for few mins as they arugue on rules and all like can not drive and , then at the end they  let Go when i showed them Printed version of JPJ Website stating the Citizens of India are allowed to drive here with there Native License."

Can you share the link of the JPJ website stating that "Indian Driving license is valid in Malaysia"? I mean the link of the printed version you have that you show to the cops.

Can you share me info regard international driving permit. I have my Indian driving license.

Hello
I see currently so many post on different sides that no driver license can be converted in Malaysia, the original driver license from your home country can only be used 3 Month and an international driver license  issued by your country can be used for one year if you're in the list of 153 countries. Germany is in this list, I have a valid driver license more than 30 years and I really don't want to go to the school again. Does anybody know the legal situation and knows a way to get a Malaysian driver license without a theoretical test, 16 lessons .......   ?
In case of an heavy accident it's better to be on save side I think. Especially with the crazy scooter and motorbike driver it's a risk.

Schamell wrote:

Hello
I see currently so many post on different sides that no driver license can be converted in Malaysia, the original driver license from your home country can only be used 3 Month and an international driver license  issued by your country can be used for one year if you're in the list of 153 countries. Germany is in this list, I have a valid driver license more than 30 years and I really don't want to go to the school again. Does anybody know the legal situation and knows a way to get a Malaysian driver license without a theoretical test, 16 lessons .......   ?
In case of an heavy accident it's better to be on save side I think. Especially with the crazy scooter and motorbike driver it's a risk.

I would suggest you to get an international license and renew it annually. That's how most of my expat friends do.

This link isn't valid. Can you share the latest link please?

With the latest rules in place by JPJ (confirmed by there officer, when I visited their HQ office for licence conversion in Putrajaya), ex-pats have to get a local license to drive in Malaysia, cant use home country or International license anymore for more than 3 months, when you first enter in Malaysia.

That's the same rule as when I first entered Malaysia in 2002! Just some dont know the rules or choose ton ignore them.  Except back then conversion was possible.