Resignation from work - They are asking me 3 months Salary

Dear all,

I have resigned from my job as i got new job in other country. Now my current employer says that notice period is 3 months so either i have to pay for three months salary to company or i have to wait for three months,

Now i spoke to HR department of company where i got job offer, they told me to join within 2 months otherwise offer will be cancelled, Company has my passport and my educational certificates.

Please advise me on this.

thanks in advance.

You should have a copy of your contract so check it to determine what is the notice period. If it is 3 months as your current employer says I am afraid you will have to wait for 3 months or come to an agreement with them specially since they are holding your passport and certificates.

Without being certain I think that it is illegal for the company to withhold your documents so you may be able to threaten them with that, maybe someone else can confirm if I am right.

Good luck

It is illegal to withhold employees documents.
read clause 11 then 12 :) . http://lmra.bh/portal/en/page/show/152#.VegkaZdB84x

Dear hmt111107,

Contact LMRA immediately and explain them about the situation, as zeeshananjum mentioned it is illegal for the employer to hold you documents.

T&R