Volunteering in Switzerland

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Switzerland?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Switzerland?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

Any advice would be welcome.  I have struggled as the online sites of most voluntary organisations have no English option so volunteering is made more complicated..

I have tried various organisations and institutions from Red Cross, Fire department, Police department and I was unlucky. From being declined because I don't speak German, to been told that they have enough volunteers. Maybe that was just my experience. I would like to know what was your experience.

I have been involved with the non profit organization "Schweizer Tafel Fundraising" in Basel for 12 years.  It's main function is to collect fresh foodstuffs from supermarkets, bakeries, etc. which are still perfectly good but legally can no longer be sold (sell by date has passed but use by date has not) and redistribute them to charitable organizations.
Women's shelters, Asylum shelters, homeless shelters, etc.   This organisation operates Switzerland-wide, and exists in 11 of the bigger cities.   They are happy to have volunteers to help out in both the operational and financial areas of the organisation.  Website:  schweizertafeln.ch

hello..My name is Elizabeth Daspet and i am living in Madrid Spain. I like to know how can i be volunteerin there. I am 49 years old but i have a life very healthy...then i hope your answer for it.

Thanks a lot

this is very good question
even me i am waiting comments from anybody who can explain steply

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Off topic. For Job hunt, please refer with your cv resume in JOBS in Switzerland section

Hi,

How to become a volunteer in Switzerland? I would love to be part of an organization that will help people in need.

Thank you
Christine

Hi Christine,

You still can post in the Volunteering in Switzerland and you can check the post #4 for some more details please :)

If you do find any association for volunteering feel free to share it with us please :)

Thank you

Maximilien