Volunteering in Puerto Rico

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Puerto Rico?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Puerto Rico?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

Once again, if they are AMERICAN  Citizens moving from the mainland USA.. they are not really Ex Pats or even living abroad.

There are many National organizations such as Salvation ARMY, ROnald McDOnald, March of Dimes, United Way etc.  which need and accept volunteers there are many organizations that need help: RENACE CONDADO , Keep America Beautiful, Red Cross, etc.
there are also Local PR organizations such as Fondita de Jesus , Hogar de Buen Pastor, and CARITAS which care for the homeless.

There are also some groups which are INTERNATIONAl:  Swiss Club,ALLIANCE FRANCES, VENEZUELANS, Colombians, etc. many have social groups which meet and have activities.

I would recommend helping the elderly. Here is an organisation that could use a hand. http://www.esperanzaparalavejez.com

Hi,
Great question.  One place to look is paralanaturaleza.org  It is somewhat like the Appalachian Mountain Club. There is another organization called  Santuario Canita, located in Guayama, but they could probably put you in touch with other animal rescue groups.   They are on Facebook.  My local church was looking for volunteers for their thrift shop in Humacao.  Also, there is a group in Manaubo that teaches English to children and adults.

My teens did a lot of service when we were in Virginia and are looking for projects here in San Juan. They really only speak English though. Any suggestions?

where are you planning to live in pr and i can tell you places to volunteer

i kow that they are doing historical digging in the san juan area.  they can also help when the turtles are nesting. also lots of animal shelters need help   beach cleanups as well

I would suggest volunteering at one of the many animal rescue organizations all over the island. Many of these organizations have English speaking volunteers and some are run by people from the states. Let me know where on the island you will be located and i can suggest a few in your area.

Hi Gregg! how about in Rincon? We made contact with Sana Farms as you suggested. what great people and products! thanks!

Hi vegchef. The people at Sana are some of the nicest people you will encounter in Puerto Rico and some of the hardest working. They are great contributors to the organic farming movement in PR.

If  you want to do any volunteering in Rincon get in touch with an animal rescue organization called ARF of Rincon. Another is Barks of Hope run by an exceptionally wonderful woman named Leo. She helped us rescue about 20 dogs before we left the island, including our own Sata who is pictured in my avatar. Have you checked out the farmers market in the plaza on Sundays?

Hi Gregg! Yes indeed! my daughter is selling at the farmers market and art walk as well! We are part of the Sana Farm CSA now too. Really enjoying our town. Being retired now, I have time to give back, and animals, especially the street dogs are near and dear to my heart. We have 3 dogs with us now, and as we rent, that's probably the limit we can give homes to, but I can sure give if my time. Do you happen to have any contact numbers? Are you coming back to the island?
Pam

There are all sorts of opportunities for volunteering for animal causes.  Where we live, we have people fostering dogs/cats, arranging adoptions to the mainland, and helping out in the day-to-day operations of the kennels.  We are also trapping the local stray cats and having them spayed/neutered.  There is a local vet that has really taken care of us.

If you are ever in the metro area, Save-a-Gato can always use help (I'm sure Save-a-Sato will welcome help as well).  On their website, there are even opportunities to help out on the mainland.

I've been encouraging people to help out in any way possible.  BY FAR the hardest part of living here in witnessing the plight of the homeless animals - it's like a sledgehammer to the soul.  Sometimes some soft words and some food can make a world of difference to a stray animal.

you are so right. My last visit to PR. before I moved here permanently was near Fajardo, there was a lone sato pup on our way to and from our B&B that we fed every day. Long story short, with the help of a great vet, about $800. and a plane ticket, "Rico" now lives in rural N.Y. State. lol

Hi Pam. Send me a private message with your email and I'll send you a couple of contact numbers.

ARF Rincon
Telephone: (787) 823-7167
E-mail: [email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/arfrincon

vlillaorleanspr

Hola my friend. Miss seeing you at the market. Still wearing those round glasses?

Pam, the other one in Rincon is Barks of Hope- Leo Roubian- 201-966-1965.

Thanks Louis.

Hi Greg,
Yep, they're still round.  Leo is awesome too, I didn't have her number at hand.
This is a promo I just did for ARF for a stay pup that appeared at my place:
Lucy needs a home!
I miss your sharp knives.

Luis!

Great promo Luis. My wife showed it to me on fb last night. If you want to get anything sharpened, go see the good people at One Ten Thai. I sold them my machinery and taught them how to sharpen before I left. I'm sure Andy would help you out.

Pam, you now have contact info for both rescue places in Rincon. When you go to the farmers market please send my love to Julitza, Vanessa and Jay if he is still there. If Ameena stops by with some of her delicious food for the vendors give her a hug for me and tell her I miss her dearly.

Thanks
Gregg

I've lived in Puerto Rico now for two years, full time. My son and I got involved with volunteering for our local Surfrider Foundation, doing weekly water testing, monthly beach cleanups, attending forums and conferences,  eventually taking trips to outer areas to help out at reserves and national parks.  Educational as well as social.

Thanks for this info RIBIT.  This looks like something the boys and I might be able to get involved in.  We love animals, but, I'm not very comfortable around dogs.  Here is the link to the Surfrider Foundation.  They have chapters in Rincon and San Juan.

- surfrider.org

Hi Suzanne,

The San Juan Community Library, which is in (or right on the border of) Guaynabo, is always looking for volunteers, young, old and in-between. The library and staff are bilingual so your teenagers could definitely help out there. (As a member of Newcomers, you & your family also receive a free membership there.) The Dorado library in Dorado also welcomes volunteers.

Are there animal rescue organizations in the Dorado area that are in need of volunteers?

Another animal rescue that works with dogs, cats, and horses primarily in Rincon http://darrincon.org/ They have a facebook page as well.
I still live in the states, but have been in contact with the woman who runs the organization and I am hoping to get involved with the horse program when I move down there.

I just learned about DAR myself, purplesugar .  They have a horse education class every Saturday open to all ages.   I will be taking my kids for the first time this Saturday.
Here is the info page: http://darrincon.org/FreeHorseClass/

CurlyGirlPR wrote:

I just learned about DAR myself, purplesugar .  They have a horse education class every Saturday open to all ages.   I will be taking my kids for the first time this Saturday.
Here is the info page: http://darrincon.org/FreeHorseClass/

Hope you guys have fun!! I cannot wait to participate as a volunteer once I'm living there.

For the Love of Satos always needs fosters for their dogs until they are sent to the states. They have a FB page. They are based in Dorado