Cost of living in Trinidad and Tobago

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Trinidad and Tobago.

Don't forget to mention where in Trinidad and Tobago you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Trinidad and Tobago?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

There is a strong possiblity that my family will be relocating to Trinidad - port of spain area this summer. Can anyone give me info about the International school of port of spain? I have 3 girls - 9th gr and younger. Does this school prepare them well for U.S. colleges? What about safety of school? I noticed alot of security people on the website. Also, how is living in Trinidad different from the U.S. ? We will be living in executive housing. Thank  you!

I am also looking to move to Port of Spain and just went there to look at schools etc.  My kids are grade school age so I was more looking at that but I was with another family who looked at high school.  The International school is quite expensive so it depends who's paying and I've heard less than great reports about it.  The Canadian school has slightly better reports and there's also a new British Academy.  We met a U.S. family who had kids at the governmant assisted Catholic school and they were very happy with it.  It is quite hard to find out about schools in Trinidad on the web but there are lots there and some quite good ones I think.  Note there is an age 11 exam for high school entry that is very competetive.

As to security - we had absolutely no problems in our 10 days there. Most locals were very friendly. Obviously there is crime there but i think it is quite localised.

I hope this has been helpful.  I spent months on the web  looking!!

Yes this helps. Thanks so much for your reply. I visited the Int'l school recently and we did find it quite expensive. Not sure about enrolling there since I have also seen mixed reviews esp. with the high fees.