Meeting with EC RED CROSS EL Nino preparedness.

Hello Everyone!

EC RED CROSS is having a meeting to talk about EL NINO PREPAREDNESS in CASA COMUNAL located across the park in OLON, SANTA ELENA Province (5 min north MONTANITA)
Date is:
SEPTEMBER 5, 2015 2PM for English Speakers, 3PM for Spanish speakers.

Kind regards.

The website for the EC Red Cross, aka Cruz Roja Ecuadoriana, is www.cruzroja.org.ec

Olón is a coastal fishing village in west-southwest Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

Although the communications officer at the Gringolandia/Quito office of Cruz Roja was unaware today of the Olón event, a source at the EC Coast is confirming it.

The moderator of a website that focuses on the coast, Expat Exchange, reports from near Salinas that there will be an emergency preparedness event in Olón on Saturday (September 5, 2015).

Cotapaxi ash and El Niño may both be on the agenda.

cccmedia in Quito

Hopefully we can get a recap posted here for those that can't attend.

El Nino preparedness, what I heard on the meeting with the Red Cross in Olon.
Something that broke my heart: One would not be allowed to board a helicopter with pets, they would not take them. One need to make a shelter for our pets and leave supplies for them where they can get to them. Very important to plan ahead.
There are only 2 helicopters which serve the coastal area. 1 in SALINAS, 1 in MANTA.
Towns that are under sea level would be under water in the rains are too hard or for too long: SALINAS, CHIPIPE, OLON, PUERTO LOPEZ. Those were the towns mentioned, but I would add any other town that is very clear is under sea level.
Get copies of documents and keep them in a backpack.
-Here my opinion- If are laminated, the better. If are color copies, the better, why? How many times in a Bank or Public Office we have been requested to bring color copies? Probably they would not do copies for us. Better we keep our own, several. I dont think that having a flash memory with our docs would help. Think that there might not be power or a bank may just refused to use your flash memory in their computers. (Have happened before and was not crisis time)
Get a stock of medicines in case one is unable to leave the house. Also: Non perishables food, charcoal (in case there is no power and one had ran out of gas), matches, etc.
Keep cash handy (but do not tell nobody) just in case that there is a blackout and ATMs are not working, or even if there is power and the ATM is working, you can expect them be empty for so many people pulling money.
(This comes from me) In Ecuador we have a saying: "Tragedy never comes alone" Get extra gas tanks, extra fuel, be sure that the tires on our vehicle are in good condition. Think ahead and get ready, just in case.
Would be good if one can get a tag that one can use on a chain around the neck and put on that tag the allergies to medicines, special medical conditions as diabetes, heart condition, etc. or it can be a bracelet, something that can be with you at all times and you don't loose it.
If your house is in an area that might be flooded, get a canoe. Just in case. Life jackets just in case you fall off the canoe or whatever.
Remember that snakes can live in the water. I suggest that one might want to keep some meds in case one get bite by a snake or a tarantula, etc. Keep stitches, just in case the Clinic do not have or had ran out of stock. Rubber boots are also helpful, if one needs to walk on high grass or mud, it helps a lot.
Anti diarrhea meds in case of sickness, pedialite, etc Something that can help you against dehydration.
If you are in the highlands, remember the areas that are prone to mudslides and avoid them. Please do not drive at night, you would not be able to see a mudslide and stop before getting trap or washed away!
Remember (very important) if you are in the highlands and want to leave the country Quito Airport is the only 1 that has INTERNATIONAL flights (In the highlands). If is raining would be foggy and airplanes would not leave!
GUAYAQUIL INTERNATIONAL airport would be the key to leave the country because there is NO FOG in Guayaquil! It would be keep operating even if rains.
Please, ad all what you can remember from the meeting or if you have experience from natural disasters, please tell us what would you do in this situation.

Be safe!

Ecuador Evacuations.

Most of these topics were also covered at the Town Hall at the Embassy in Quito.

People with pets do need to be aware that, even in the event of an evacuation by U.S. assets, they will not make space for pets and your baggage is very limited.

Also they will only transport folks to the nearest "Safe" area, not necessarily all the way to the U.S. This is the "SOP" Standard Operating Procedure world wide. It is not at all like you will see in movies.

Another point of confusion is the evacuation of U.S. dependents. As a rule they will generally only move card carrying U.S. citizens. Depending on the logistic assets available and the event, they will at times move immediate family dependents I.E. spouse, and children who are not yet U.S. citizens.

Due to this fact, it is highly recommended that all Expats use the Smart Traveler program or at least, inform the nearest U.S. Embassy that you are living in the country with family and provide your contact information. This gives them an idea of what kind, and how many resources would be needed in the event of an emergency.

During my time on active duty in the U.S. Military, I was involved in relocation / evacuations on several occasions. I can tell you that the better prepared you are for this type of event will lessen the anxiety on you and your family as well as make it easier on those trying to help you.

The most common false hood is that, people think there will be adequate time or warning of an imminent disaster. 95% of the time, this just isn't true. In the blink of an eye something can be upon you, and once the adrenaline kicks in, rational thought can go out the window. There will be no time to seek out papers, or even remember something as simple as a bottle of water.

Having one bag, "Go Bag", or "Bug Out Bag" whatever you want to name it, will ease your mind and could save your life.

Because there is a very good chance that mudslides and flooding will block roads, I think having a long term plan for drinking water is a good idea. I plan on doubling up on the amount of drinking water I keep on hand and possibly buying an REI type backpacker's water filter just in case it takes months rather than days for things to get back to normal. It's going to be an interesting year. I expect to return to Canoa just in time for the start of el niño.

JK,

The good thing is you can pick up that kind of stuff easily while you are in the U.S. We have visited a number of outdoor, and climbing stores here in Quito. They do carry Camel backs, water filters etc, but they are a bit pricey.

The Camel Back water back packs can be found pretty cheap in Military surplus stores. I have been issued them and have used them for years. They are much easier to carry than canteens and they also double as a pack you can add stuff to. For "Bug Out Bags" they work great. I have two here and three more I left in Arizona.

Another good investment is a Military style first aid bag/kit. They will have more trauma related items, and bought as a kit makes it easy for the average guy to get what you need without all the fluff you may never use. I still have my issued Field Trauma Bag. It has everything I would need for puncture wounds (Gunshots), collapsed lungs, airways,   IV set up you name it, it even has a surgical kit with various size sutures, needles, scalpels, forceps etc. I have used it to suture my own lacerations several times, and twice on the kids.

NOTE: I do not recommend anyone attempt this unless you have had proper training.

The wife at first was not thrilled to watch this, but seeing that I knew what I was doing and lived, helped.