Getting Through Customs for a Long Stay

Hola! My husband and I (late 60s) are coming to Guat in 3 weeks for a long stay, maybe 6 months, maybe permanent. We're in the process of regenerating after getting physically depleted, and since we're using the all natural approach of herbs and supplements we want to bring a lot of the ones we currently use, knowing it will take a while to find just the right healer in the San Pedro (Atitlan) area. Will customs allow us to bring a 6-month supply into Guat with us? We're arriving by plane. Gracias para tu ayuda!

I have brought supplies of vitamins into Guatemala myself as well as personal knowledge of folks that bring a years supply in at a time. I live in Antigua and do a lot with vitamins, supplements and herbs. If you find someone competent at the lake, can you let me know? A referral source is always great to have.
BJ

Thanks so much for your quick (and positive) reply! Yes, I will be happy to let you know.
Thanks again!

I brought six months worth of prescription medication with me when I arrived in April. I put it in my checked luggage and had no problems. I brought my prescription from my doctor, just in case.

Recent posts on the Facebook group,Guatemala Expats on Facebook, have notified everyone that there are new x-rays machines at the airport in Guate City and everyone's bags are getting x-rayed now. Just a heads up!

Other helpful Facebook groups are the Panajachel, Lake Atitlan groupand the San Pedro group

Best of luck!

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Sharing of External links not allowed on the forum

Thanks for the answer, the sites ... and I found your blog! Very nice to be able to read the details of a few days - thank you!

Historically, no problem but with the big customs corruption shakeup, things could have changed or will change very soon. I know, for example, that importing canned food used to be a non-issue but within the last month the government is requiring you to get a permit. The permit is expensive -- designed for commercial importation.
There is a health food store on the first street up from the dock and to the left. Asking there about what they can get will probably help you out.
I considered getting a permit for food importation and may still do it but I got sidetracked with the purchase of a B&B.

A special thanks for the heads up on canned food ... from advice from locals there who travel in and out twice a year (but haven't in the past 6 months) we were going to bring a lot of things like organic tahini. We'll continue to check it out and not waste the money or tahini! I'll also send them your answer.

In the case of tahini, it is easy to find in Panajachel. There is both imported (Roland and probably another brand) and tahini made here. Not sure it is organic.

Lots of people miss the fact that many things are available here because they are local crops. Because there is a lot of high-elevation land in Guatemala you find apples, peaches, pears, ... grown here.

While "local tiendas" tend to not carry organic products and "things of Gringo interest", in Pana, Sandra's, Chalo's and Los Almendros have such things as tahini, fresh tofu, tempeh, bagles, ... (I used to live in Nicaragua and this is a nice change.)

That is very helpful - we have so much to learn and will enjoy taking our time with it! May I ask one more question? I'm presuming that local farming/agriculture will be less genetically modified and the farm soil will be much better than here. Do you think that's the case?

Do you have a website for your B&B yet or could you just send me the name? We're all set when we get there, thanks to a good friend, but you never know when that might be helpful.

There is a lot of "small time" agriculture here and much of it is organic. Monsanto tried an invasion here and the public said no so you should not be getting GMO products here. But, lots of corn is imported from Mexico (I am talking sacks of dry corn) with can be GMO. When I buy tortillas I buy black ones if available as I am assuming the black corn is not GMO. From what I see here, the old crops are mulched and I see animal manure being added.
If you shop in the public market you tend to get to know your suppliers and you can find out what you are getting. Clearly people understand organic -- the trash is separated in Pana, for example and you can buy organic compost from the municipality. So, yeah, it becomes a learning experience. The good news is that people tend to be very open and friendly here (I will contrast that with Costa Rica) so you can pretty much learn what you want to learn.
The B&B is called Casa Colonial. It is on airBnB and bookings.com. I also have an apartment in Pana (above my house) which I rent out. We will be creating a web site (casasderocio.com) for both.

Wonderful to hear about the agriculture - and a culture that says no to Monsanto! I'll certainly remember about the black tortillas and have fun getting to know the people at the farmers market. We sort of fell into Guatemala and the lake region thanks to a former piano student of my husbands who is now studying again with him through Skype ... the more we learn about it the more we like. Perhaps we'll meet you (I'm Mary Helen Rossi) - good luck with your business and thank you again so much!