What type of work is available in the DR

Dear Planner:

In response to your last posting on Cost of Living in the DR, what type of work is available in the DR that does pay at least a reasonable wage?  My skill set is quite varied, ranging from accounting, business management, public relations, hospitality, and education.  Although I would not be looking for full-time employment, or for the same wages I would expect in the U.S., I would still like to be able to pick up some part-time work here and there to supplement our income and to help keep me engaged in life.  For the last 8+ years, I've been privileged to pick up work here and there that interest me.  I've primarily freelanced in education, accounting, and horticulture.  Education and horticulture interest me, accounting pays the bills : )  Thanks.

deleted

Available here???.....not much with out a  cedula and your residency and then with it... still not much
Pays decent???.... even less

You might be better off working on line for a company back in the states.

Bob K

What kind of work is available:

First assume you have residency and a cedula -  check
Second assume you speak spanish - check
Third assume you understand the culture - check

Okay - education - pays very very little.  A full time teacher will earn about  12,000 RD a month, less then US 300

Accounting -  a full blown qualified accountant might make US 1,000 a month - you would need to be qualified HERE  and understand all the tax systems etc.  And not many  jobs at this level.  You would easily qualify as a bookkeeper and make maybe US 300 a month. Heavy competition for this type of job.

Hospitality -  well pretty much slave wages my friend.   Unless you speak  multiple languages, look great and can attract a  gringa.... (just kidding)   if you can SELL  then maybe you can make a decent living.

Management consulting -  there are opportunities IF you can find them.
Coaching - forget about it.( I get asked about this one constantly)

Work from home jobs - they are available but you need to hunt for them.  Then you need to have the set up at home and the right kind of internet etc. Not always easy but they will sometimes pay decent for here.

Jobs here are very much about who you know and how you know them.  Good jobs do not come along until you have been here a while.

Case in point -  we do not hire anyone with less then 2 years in the country, Why you ask?  Well statistics show us that a high percentage of expats do not stay.  Who wants to hire and invest training money into someone who is not likely to stay? 

No rose colored glasses here,  I am sorry. It is tough to find a job here.  See what you can find from there first, that will allow you to work from here. Online tutoring?  Online customer service?   and then just do it from here....

Great feedback. That was pretty much what I was thinking, online work, but needed to have it confirmed and to hear if there were any possibilities there.  Thanks so much.  Information like this helps with the planning process.

BTW, I would not be moving to the DR for work, nor would I have to work, but working is something I like to do, and as I mentioned, I'll still be relatively young, so if I can still produce some income, why not?  Thanks again for the feedback.  There's no better time then now to plan for tomorrow : )

You are exactly right.  Consider volunteering in the beginning -  helps the country,  helps you learn language, helps you learn culture!

Absolutely. I'm a volunteer by nature, so that tends to just be a part of my normal life anyhow.  Like my husband, I can't sit idyll for too long, but I do love being able to pick and choose how I spend my time.  Life is so much more enjoyable that way.

Yes good discussion back and forth and YES volunteering will take up your time and can be VERY rewarding.  I speak from experience.

Bob K