Anyone have tips on the best neighbourhood (reasonably priced) to live

My name is Lee and I'll be moving to Phnom Phen in late February. 

Anyone have tips on the best neighbourhood (reasonably priced) to live?  Like, is there somewhere that expats tend to congregate?  And what should I watch out for when renting a flat? 

Oh, one more thing.  Most of my hot-weather clothing is short shorts (I'm a female Lee) and tank tops.  Do I need to dress more conservatively in Cambodia?  I've been once before (for a month) but as a tourist, I just kinda did what I wanted to as far as dress.

Any other tips that you'd like to pass along would be greatly appreciated!!

Lee

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid auto promotions or try to do advertising in private + post in housing section pls

Lee,
As you know form your previous visit , this is not a Islamic state ,so as long as your your decently covered your OK.
this would be especially in the cities,  Khmer girls love their shorts and exposing their belly button.
However if your going into a  place of worship, or the village areas and the government offices aslo elderly people, its respectful to be more covered.
jeans and t shirts is the generally accepted attire, good for work, parties, just hanging out etc.
In the cool months you may also need a cardigan

Lots of places to stay , when you arrive,  stay with friends or get a hotel room for  few days and then look around for a nice place to stay.. Unless you have pets to cater for its very easy to find a place you will like!
where will you be working ??

regards

Thanks for your help Ruben!  I've got a favourite guest house (Golden Gate) and will stay there while I'm flat hunting.  I was just wondering if there was a specific part of the city that expats tend to locate to, as a small community.

As for work, I've got experience in the hospitality industry and speak English/French so I though I'd look for something with a tour company that deals with Europeans/North Americans, booking accommodation, transportation, tours, excursions.

Cheers from Canada (where it's currently 37 degrees centigrade!!)

Lee

hi Lee,
Golden Gate is great ,My advise is to stay there for as long as your comfortable ,because its cost almost the same to stay anywhere else that is reasonably decent, and golden gate has some security.

I used to live in BKK1 - the expat area but its to congested and the traffic is horrendous because of all the new coffee and restaurants!  I like my new area Boueng Trabek ,which is only 5 min away firm Russian market and about 10 minutes form BKK1
If you like dogs,  my neighbor has a room for rent for USD 350 ,inclusive of utilities and room cleaning!   they are great animals ,but bark allot .
lots of travel agencies and hotels looking for someone with your skills no worries, ( but be prepared to move to Siem reap if necessary)
have a good day !

Hi Lee,
Not quite sure what "reasonably priced" means,but around the Russian Market there are a lot of ex-pats and westerners living and working( as I am).If you look to rent through an agent, dont just go with one. I found that numerous agents are working on the same property...with different prices. And with any property,try viewing at night as well as during the day as things can change dramatically...especially noise levels from bars,restaurants.Even Tuk tuk drivers hanging out together.Mosquitos stay at reasonably low ground in the city so if you are looking to rent an apartment with a balcony, try getting the 5th floor or above..providing there is a lift !!
Hope this doesn't sound too patronising !!

Thanks, gman!

Not patronizing at all - you offer some very good tips. Especially about seeing the place at night and noise levels.

Much appreciated!

Cheers!!

BKK 1

Thanks, David!