Need a car buying Agent. Can you recommend one to help buy a car?

Hello,

I have been in contact with someone named jacqui but I heard there is a reliable person who will find me a car for 200 dollars.  Anyone know about him or someone else like him who can take some of the challenges out of buying a car in San Jose?

Thanks!

Are you already in Costa Rica?
Do you know what the terrain is around your area?
Are you intending to travel on gravel roads or in the city?
Living in a mountainous area?

Ask people around you if they know of this 'person' but to expect someone who actually knows vehicles and who is willing to find you a 'decent vehicle' for $200, is very naïve .

If you know anything about vehicles, trust your instinct and check around, then ask 'someone' who is recommended to you for help. The main thing is to get one that is easy to get replacements parts for, locally.
Jacqueline Monacell  is probably the 'jacqui' you mentioned and I have heard that she comes highly recommended...although since I haven't used her services I am not 'actually' recommending her. The fee starts at $495.

Remember, not all English speaking people are trustworthy... :whistle:

We used Russ Martin. I believe his website is Wheelscr.com. We purchased a vehicle with his help. He translated for us, set up some appointments with private sellers, and brought us to some dealerships. We got the process done in one day - a very long day. Lawyer, insurance and banking - and he made sure the process flowed the way it should. We were happy with his service.

Thanks,   I'm talking to him now.  He came up in a google search.

I feel like I'm missing something.  Why would you pay someone to find a car for you?  Would you do this in D.C.?  I've never heard of this before.  But there's always someone here that'll be happy to take your money.  Look on Craigslist or Encuentra24, find a car you like, have a mechanic look it over, check the engine compression, etc., purchase it and then have a lawyer transfer the title.  My lawyer in San Ramon charged me $50 for this.  Is a "car buying agent" something new?

- Dave

When we first moved to Costa Rica and started looking for a car the language barrier was an issue.  We muddled through it ourselves and bought privately but I can see that being an issue.

I didn't think of that; but, it would be a lot cheaper to just hire a Tico for ¢1,500 per hour and rent a car.  $500 for someone to help you find a car sound ridiculous to me.  That comes out to more than 166 hours if you paid them by the hour.  Well, if they provide lodging, three meals a day - with champagne of course, and a town car to whisk you around - then maybe it's worth it.

Hello
Did you find your car ?
You can contact me if you like, before buying a car you should also have the due diligence done and make sure everything is correct.
What kind of car and price range are oyu looking for ?
Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum + Register in the San Jose business directory so as not to promote your services on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct