Arabic or English

How am I supposed to get brownie points or pat on the back when the least person you thought could not speak English (your *manager) is actually the one who can hardly speak the international language? C'mon?! This gets me into thinking: Is it my problem that I come here to work BUT can't speak Arabic? And, do companies promote people because they speak Arabic regardless of inferior job knowledge and zero English? Now, don't even dare talk about FAVORITISM. And by the way, I don't remember signing a contract where "Must speak Arabic" is stipulated. Sigh :(

*He's not Saudi. Most of my customers are Saudi and I'm happy they speak good English.

Also, pls. excuse me if there's any grammatical errors on this post. I'm not a native speaker.

Well, sorry to say this, but you are in a wrong country.

Saudi Arabia is notorious for discriminating and exploitation against its non-Arab, non-White workers. There are many human rights issues in Saudi Arabia related to expat workers from the Third World countries.

And God help you if you happen to be non-Muslim on top of being a non-White person from the Third World.

I wouldn't go to work in Saudi Arabia even if they are offering me a fortune as a salary and other benefits.

I personally know people in my country who would rather be unemployed in an over-populated country with relentless job-competition, than go to Saudi Arabia for work.

...but still they come
last count was 9 million expats

Ya, they are the ones who are either too desperate or unaware of the situation till they get there.

9 Millions include the White and Arab expats as well, for whom it's a very welcoming place and also for many Muslims from other places.

I was talking about the rest.

Globalseek wrote:

Saudi Arabia is notorious for discriminating and exploitation against its non-Arab, non-White workers. There are many human rights issues in Saudi Arabia related to expat workers from the Third World countries.

And God help you if you happen to be non-Muslim on top of being a non-White person from the Third World.

I wouldn't go to work in Saudi Arabia even if they are offering me a fortune as a salary and other benefits.

I personally know people in my country who would rather be unemployed in an over-populated country with relentless job-competition, than go to Saudi Arabia for work.

everyplace has its advantage and disadvantage.

I have been in the "kingdom" coming up to a year, although I dont speak Arabic, without doubt it is going to be advantageous to know or learn the language of the country.

Needless to say that the more skills you have, the more initiative you show, is going to help in getting promotion.

We also have to bear in mind the process of "saudization" (to promote local saudi's), which is going to hinder expats from obtaining promotion.

When it comes to "saudi management" - they just do not have the knack, courtesy, attitude or skills that we would take for granted in the West.

Believe me they do test your patience
:)

Do the French speak English in Paris?

Globalseek wrote:

I had a HUGE reply. But then by the end of it I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Globalseek wrote:

So this means you've never been here--and yet you speak with such authority I'd never have guessed it ;)

Globalseek wrote:

...erm then why are you posting on a Riyad forum if you don't live or work here and have no intention of doing so??  :unsure

zara777 wrote:
Globalseek wrote:

...erm then why are you posting on a Riyad forum if you don't live or work here and have no intention of doing so??  :unsure

sorry, "Riyadh"!!!

its the oil, stupid!

Globalseek wrote:

How are you criticizing the saudi arabians for their discrimination when you are doing just that?

The saying falls perfectly: "Ignorance is bliss."

India has its own basket of States with its varying languages, religious sects and castes, pockmarked with honor killings, untouchables, and Sati.... how discriminating and explotative is that? Especially in a so called democracy?

To Globalseek:

Thank you for your empathy and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

It would be hypocrite of me if I'll totally disagree w/u regarding human right issues. I'm fully aware of that. But to say it's a wrong country? I don't think so. I think my case is an isolated one. I know many from my country who sought for greener pasture have been successful here even if they're non-Muslim. In fact, if I am not mistaken, majority of our overseas workers are here in Saudi Arabia. There's also nothing wrong in being desperate so long as it allows you to fulfill your obligation to your family every month which I'll always be grateful for this country.

What I was just wondering if it's really a MUST for a working expat to learn Arabic and why my manager (not Saudi), a position I used to know holding by competent people, can't even  speak the int'l language. It's not that serious, is it? As long as I do my job, receive my salary, and he will not fire me without any reason, I'll still be working here. Regarding the language barrier, I might just email him every now and then instead of talking to him. That way, it's going to be his problem looking up for a translator on the net. And I guess, learning Arabic is not too late for someone who's been here for only 4 months out of a two-year contract. Let's be POSITIVE.

To the rest:

I'm sorry guys. This site has made me very comfortable that I end up venting here.

You can vent no worries. Looks like you have your head on straight :)

Where's your manager from?

josh123 wrote:

There's also nothing wrong in being desperate so long as it allows you to fulfill your obligation to your family every month which I'll always be grateful for this country.

I admire your values--you're absolutely right.

Josh, I just want you to think of it the other way around. Suppose learning arabic isn't a must but an option. If you decide to take that option and learn the language, it will be easier for you to understand the people you're dealing with, it will help you fit in easily, it will open up many doors for you, it will help you sell more (if you're a sales person), it will actually make locals like you more (no matter where you are and what language that is, people love foreigners who master their languge) and the list goes on...

So, considering all these benefits, why wouldn't you want to learn Arabic? I just can't understand why would someone live in any country and not want to speak like natives...

One of the famous narratives of Prophet Mohamad (PBUH), a timeless piece of wisdom which you don't have to be a Muslim to understand, says what means "He, who learns a people's language, becomes safe from their deception". WHO wouldn't want that? ;)

Thank you! Can I say it here? You'd be suprised to know that he's from the largest country in the Arab world where many people can speak English because of long British occupation so I don't know what he'd been doing at age 40+. :D

Shokran kathir, Alliecat. I'm here for my family just like what most expats are here for.

@MadMaz: Who would not want to learn Arabic? I think it's one of the most beautiful languages we ever have, really. I'm hoping I'll learn Arabic, inshallah, after I have mastered other things concerning my job. I'll take it one at a time.

josh123 wrote:

Shokran kathir, Alliecat. I'm here for my family just like what most expats are here for.

@MadMaz: Who would not want to learn Arabic? I think it's one of the most beautiful languages we ever have, really. I'm hoping I'll learn Arabic, inshallah, after I have mastered other things concerning my job. I'll take it one at a time.

Great! When you decide to do so, don't hesitate to ask me for help if you need any :D

Hey josh..
Just take it easy and dont stress over the menority group that has no interest to become civilized and learn the international language. I know people who have lived here for over 3 years and know zero arabic. They always find a way to communicate their thoughts with others.
Also I teach in a learning center where the youngest student is 27 years old, and they are ALL saudi's. The reason of them being so interested in the language is because they see how it is demanded to speak it, especially in their own country.

As far for learning arabic, its a matter of time for you to learn the basic words that will get you through the day.
;)

@ MadMaz: Thanks again. I can teach you Filipino if you want in exchange of your Arabic.:rolleyes:

@ Nina: Thank you. This is my first post but I feel like I've been talking to ya'll for a while.

I agree with you guy who said arabic is the most beautiful language. last year I took an arabic class for 3 months. I found that it is difficult for me when the group (young people) went too quick. It was so great to know more than the alphabet or how to connect the beautiful letter together. It's about learning arab culture and arab history and arab soul from poem etc. I have no chance to use much arabic word in every day life because I am a stay-home wife. Just say hello, thank you, to the compound bus driver, that's all. One thing I know in my heart is that I still fall in love with the arabic language and eager to study more and more^_^

Globalseek wrote:

I couldn`t agree more!

It still has all the oil the world needs to keep rotating and until then it will be significant whether you like it or not

Phew!!!!!!!!!!:/   I just know its same everywhere.Language always give u benefits we can not deny it. I have heard same weather its France,Germany or even Japan.doesn't matter if they know English but they would prefer to communicate in their own language.
Filipinos r amazingly good when it comes to learning English,i Promise u would be a fast learner ;)

I'm in a Saudi dominated workplace but everybody wants to practice  their English with me! 

So unfortunately my Arabic is minimal--but there's still hope :)

Try responding in broken Arabic. They may correct you and then you will automatically learn.

musicman wrote:

Try responding in broken Arabic. They may correct you and then you will automatically learn.

They make fun usually :(

There are a lot of Saudi Arabia speaks English

nonz wrote:
musicman wrote:

They make fun usually :(

i do this and i get laughed at a lot, too. but no, not from Saudis. From other arab-speaking people. :D

just laugh back at them, 2 laughs r better than 1

musicman wrote:

just laugh back at them, 2 laughs r better than 1

haha. but more often i laugh at my own mistakes.