Getting work in Malaysia

hi just checking if there are companies that will hire foreigners in managerial role with 10 years more experience in business development,sales, freight and procurement. I can pay all my work permits cost.

Hi transportation industry does hire foreigners quite a lot so your chances are good of you have the right experience.

Networking is the key.

1. You should have international contacts in former roles if you are suitable for a position in Malaysia. Try these first. Always best to get a job first move second.

2. When in Malaysia join expat groups, attend and network. This week I helped someone in HR get a job via my contacts. But I stress they were good, I know them as met them a few times and I know some good head hunters I introduced them too. But I won't do this for strangers on the net obviously! But it is easier in certain fields such as yours (if you have the right skills). I don't do this often these days as busy but you have to be experienced, skilled and with the right attitude to succeed in Malaysia.  Those who are soft skinned, give up easily, have no higher level experience or are just plain bad communicators have no real chance.

3. It can take 6 months (usually 1-2 but depends) to get a role in Malaysia if here and network well. Of course  afew do get lucky straight away.

Do note that with the falling RM any job less than 15,000 RM now is poverty wages!

Hi

I am currently working in Malaysia already have a work permit but my field is IT. I am finding it very difficult to get a good job in my field. I am from IT and mostly companies they jut listen and say rejected just because you are a foreigner. Can you guide me in this regards.

Thanks

Yousaf

yousaft2 wrote:

Hi

I am currently working in Malaysia already have a work permit but my field is IT. I am finding it very difficult to get a good job in my field. I am from IT and mostly companies they jut listen and say rejected just because you are a foreigner. Can you guide me in this regards.

Thanks

Yousaf

I answered in your other post. But I always ask two questions.

1. Would I employ you? (I had an IT consultancy years ago) NO. My secretary would have binned your application before I saw it as foreigner with local degree. Sorry but that is reality of job applications you get 200 and someone junior filters them to 20 based on set criteria. One company I know actually bins some at random as 500 applications per job so 400 get binned with no one reading them!

2. N/a due to 1.

You have to network like mad as only that can help you. Blind applications wont work as you have found out!!!

So far I was relying on the fact Malaysian degree carries value but to an extent. Anyways thanks fort eh suggestion and I will look into it what can be done.

As I said (elsewhere and here) you need to network in person. Often people make the mistake of firing off 100s of applications that are hardly ever read and then feel personally rejected. You have to understand recruitment from an employers point of view. They don't know you and don't care. But if you get to know someone then they do care. Simple.

It is a fact of life Malaysians mostly think degrees from other countries are worth more especially Western. They do understand if a Malaysian does a local degree as poorer - but a foreigner they don't understand. Whether true or not is a matter of debate. But when did truth matter? But as Is I said often someone junior filters applications. You fail on "no prior experience of IT" one most would set for an expat job. So again you need to network like mad. Online applications and some magic formula from a stranger on the net won't work.

Ok I will do that.

yousaft2 wrote:

Ok I will do that.

Join a well know expat organisation that is international and come and network. loads of IT people there who know where the jobs are! many get jobs via these events - also many good head hunters there.