Cost of living in Bangladesh

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Bangladesh.

Don't forget to mention where in Bangladesh you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Bangladesh?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

very good but it would be better to calcuate all the prices so that we could make over mind to live in Bangla

> accommodation prices
in diplomatic or in high class areas, one apartment could rent out for $500 to $1000. In other areas, $100 to $200.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
-Bus fare depends on distance. Starting from $0.2 to $0.4
-Taxis are also depends on burgain. Starting from $1.5 to $5.
-No subway is in Bangladesh.
-There are high-quality luxury inter-city bus services and fare between Dhaka and Chittagong could be $9.
-There are international bus and train sevices between Bangaldesh (Dhaka) and India (Calcutta). Fare is around $12.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
- $3 ~ $4/day would be ok

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
-Medical is very costly as all good ones are private. Govt. hospitals are free but not better service. No general insurance system exist, but may be purchased from local company but advised not to.
Best hospital of the country is Apolo Hospital, Basundhara, Dhaka running by international team.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
Local running schools are cheap. But private UNI are expensive.

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Electricty is not continusous except diplomatic area. Oil is standard price

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
-In large cities internet are faster.
-Satellite channels are available all over the country.
-High quality mobile service is available by 6 mobile operators including Telenor(local name grameen) and NTT DoCoMo (local name: AKtel) and SKtelecom (local name: TeleTalk)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
- Could be $5/person

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
- No Alcohol except in 5 star hotels and all kinds of alocohols are very expensive these comapre to other countries.
- Coffee is not so available but milk tea is available everywhere with less then $0.1 per cup.

> price of the cinema
- Not recomended. Cinema halls are very bad conditions except one in largest shopping mall called 'CinePlex'. Cineplex is very high standard and ticket could be $3 onwards.

Hi Everybody I am looking for some reliable and valuable information on cost of living in Bangladesh.The reason is I have befriended a person from there and simply do not believe some of the things he tells me about costs.For instance he tells me a friend of his went home to Sylhet and in only 3 weeks spent £7000.I think his friend is either boasting or trying to appear rich. My reason for that remark is because I spend a lot of time in Egypt where cost of living is similar to Bangladesh so I could live in Egypt for 12 months with £7000.A prime reason for my wish to gather information is because I am keen to help my friends family and would like to send money on a monthly basis and comparing prices with Egypt think £200 a month would be a huge help so am wondering if that belief is correct. I would be very grateful for any help. Thank You.

gordon9 wrote:

Hi Everybody I am looking for some reliable and valuable information on cost of living in Bangladesh.The reason is I have befriended a person from there and simply do not believe some of the things he tells me about costs.For instance he tells me a friend of his went home to Sylhet and in only 3 weeks spent £7000.I think his friend is either boasting or trying to appear rich. My reason for that remark is because I spend a lot of time in Egypt where cost of living is similar to Bangladesh so I could live in Egypt for 12 months with £7000.A prime reason for my wish to gather information is because I am keen to help my friends family and would like to send money on a monthly basis and comparing prices with Egypt think £200 a month would be a huge help so am wondering if that belief is correct. I would be very grateful for any help. Thank You.

It all depends on the individual circumstances.  If you're on vacation and you spend most of your time traveling or hanging out at luxury hotels such as Westin or Radisson, or going shopping a lot - it's not difficult to end up spending between $5K - $10K / month even though the options to spend on luxury goods and services is somewhat limited to these hotels and some mid-level designer brands.  The only way to really splurge every night is by going out to one of the many decent restarants in the city, the bars at the hotels and a daily gym fee at a 5 star hotel.

I can't say for sure how your friend lives, but also, be wary.  If someone can spend 7000 in 3 weeks to splurge, why does his friend need to send money to his family?  He seems like he's doing well enough for him to be able to take care of them by himself.
:?

Hi all, i am quite new here but investigated realy tight, acoording this, the latest rates are below;
For sure depends on what you are looking for and how you can survive, the rates below are more for western people requirements.

Living in Dhaka

> accommodation prices: $1000 - $1500+ (includes fee&elec&gas&water etc...)

> public transportation fares: you wouldn't use (except some taxi)

> food prices: dining outside $15-$50/ meal (Fastfood is a bit cheaper)

> health prices: No idea

> eduction prices: No idea

> energy prices: mentioned above

> mobile phone: http://www.btcl.gov.bd/

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub: coffee $3 - beer $9(no pub available!!,needs to go hotels or a few clubs which needs membership)

> price of the cinema: No idea

hopr this will helpfull

Impressive informations !

YakupAkkaya wrote:

Hi all, i am quite new here but investigated realy tight, acoording this, the latest rates are below;
For sure depends on what you are looking for and how you can survive, the rates below are more for western people requirements.

Living in Dhaka

> accommodation prices: $1000 - $1500+ (includes fee&elec&gas&water etc...)

> public transportation fares: you wouldn't use (except some taxi)

> food prices: dining outside $15-$50/ meal (Fastfood is a bit cheaper)

> health prices: No idea

> eduction prices: No idea

> energy prices: mentioned above

> mobile phone: http://www.btcl.gov.bd/

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub: coffee $3 - beer $9(no pub available!!,needs to go hotels or a few clubs which needs membership)

> price of the cinema: No idea

hopr this will helpfull

here i am giving some information:

mobile bill :   1.5 taka {avarage} though here is 6 mobile operator.

education :  In university education public university is good here.but if u try in privat university my advice will be

1. north south university
2. brac university
3. east west university
4. american international university bangladesh

here COST of programe IN privet university is high

hi guys.... i am from London, England. My friend who is studying here in london has envited me to visit him in bangladesh, once he has completed his studies and has moved home to dhaka. i was just wondering if somebody could give me some infomation about cost of living, currency and prices etc. I will not be spending or splurging any major cash on my visit. But i would like to know what i could expect to pay for things like .... coffee, public transport, food etc in comparison to the english pound. thank you very much and i would appreciate any replies.

I wish you maxyp the very best of luck in fact more luck than I have had.As I also have a friend from Bangladesh I have for some time been trying to find the true cost of living in Bangladesh as my friends family keep asking for money and if you check this forum you will see my posts. Have I had any result,far from it as it seems all Bangladeshy people close ranks and do not wish to put a stop to the gravy train!by supplying the true cost of living in Bangladesh.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]