Move to Kuwait: Accommodation & transportation

Hello,

Greetings from Malaysia.

I'm preparing myself to move to Kuwait for an employment with Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR).

I have a few questions in my mind:

1. Since I'm single, do you recommend me to go for a 1-room or 2-room apartment? I read that it's not easy to find a 1-room apartment. 

2. Do you recommend furnish or unfurnished apartment? Will it be troublesome to get furnitures by myself since I won't have my own transportation?

3. How much usually is the deposit they need in order to rent an apartment? E.g. 1-month, 2-month deposit?

4. I read that Salmiya is a happening place. Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) is located next to Kuwait University and about 20 km to the west from Salmiya. Do you think it's wise for me to live in Salmiya area and travel 20 km to work and another 20 km home by taxi? It might cost me a lot for taxi fare huh?

5. If not, where do you think will be the best places for me to live? I first thought of Salmiya because it's more happening. And since I'm single and I can go out after work and meet some people and it won't be so boring for me.

Thanks.

Heng

Welcome Heng,

1. Go for the one that is within your budget and you like it. It depends on the location and availability.

2. If you are going to stay longer, go for the unfurnished one. In Kuwait people come and go and you can always find used furniture and appliances for sale. Transport should not be that expensive.

3. Usually it is 1 month rent.

4. Well, there are no residential areas near KISR so you will have to travel either way. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an organized transport from residential areas, so you may as well go for Salmiya, but check with KISR first.

hello Heng and welcome to EB :)

in order:

1) depends on you really - do you want the space, do you want a roommate? can you afford it? the different between the two is not negligible - when i was looking for accommodation i decided on a 2BR as I was getting married, and figured down the line the other room would be useful.

2) depends on you :P sorry, are you planning on staying a while, or just short-term? much like a car, you can either buy one or lease it. if you buy it its cheaper in the long run but you run the hassle of having to sell it when you want to leave. a rental is expensive in the short run, but its fully insured and you dont run any risk when you want to leave, you just return it. same goes with furnished nd unfurnished, the latter is expensive in the long run but gives you the easy out option, the former is expensive in the short run but over the long run its cheaper, but you run the hassle of having to sell everything later.

3) one month or half a month. also bear in mind if you use an agent to find a place (there is a very helpful post on this here, and its recent so i suggest you read it)

4) KU has many campuses around Kuwait, you need to be more specific :P i'm guessing though its near the main one in Shuwaikh, so best housing option that is close would be Riqqae, but as you correctly mentioned, salmiya is the happening area with everything in your vicinity. 20KM drive here is not a big deal, and wont cost you an arm and a leg. you just need to learn to haggle as some taxis will try to take advantage and overcharge. they dont work by meters even though they are supposed to. at most i think, from Salmiya to Shuwaikh, 1.5-2KD per way.

5) Salmiya ;)

6) you need to brush up on your arabic skills a bit and search a website called mourjan.com, they have all the rentals on there and with some you contact the landlord directly as in not thru an agent so u save yourself paying their fee. most ads are in arabic, some are in english, most can be reached thru whatsapp. but real estate is a very perishable commodity believe it or not, so its best to look for accommodation when you arrive, as opposed to in advance.

good luck!

lol Riba, beat me to the answer you did :P

Thanks a lot Ribosom  :top:

Thanks, legacy, for the information and tips. I'm surprised with the taxi fare for such a distance 👍

you would be more surprised to learn the cost of a liter of fuel here, i can save that for you as a surprise when you get here, or i can tell you right now, which would you like :P

oh heck with it :P

0.92 Ringgit

Ha...that's very cheap.

Unfortunately I won't be able to drive until I get a driving licence in there I guess.

Since the offer is a permanent position,  I will see if I enjoy my job in there and my life, then I will consider to get a driving licence and a car. Also, we are driving the other direction in Malaysia but that shouldn't be an issue to get used to another direction.

I hope it won't be difficult to meet new friends in there. Thanks Mr Legacy  :top:

please call me Ayman, or Aymz for short :P

i highlighted the price so that you know why taxi'ing around is cheap ^^

here's a bit of advice that should be given to all newcomers - you have a probation period - 100 working days (around 5 months or so), during which either party can terminate the contract with no repercussions - once you are instated in your position, you would need to give a 3-month notice to leave, or pay them your monthly salary for 3 months if you want to leave early. so, in the time of your probation, and seeing as how you will not have residency yet, you can drive on an international licence (you can get it issued in Malaysia if you have a valid Malaysian Licence). so, rent a car, and a nice furnished apartment (hopefully your company will put you up in their temporary accommodation until you find something for yourself (or you cna ask the malaysian community of Kuwait for help) if you find you cant cope, its easier to back out if everything is leased/ furnished. once oyu decide you like the place, then look into making it cheaper in the long term by getting an apartment and furnishing it yourself etc.

those are my two cents ;)

Ayman, you are the Encyclopedia  :top:

Hi People,

Hello Ayman @legacy,

I have received an email from KISR today saying that they can no longer offer me a permanent position due to the change of government policy where they cannot employ expats for permanent positions, until further notice. Therefore, they have offered me a position with 1-year contract where several fixed payments will be made over time. Nothing else will be covered.

Because of that, I will need to purchase a health insurance (also cover dental care) by myself. Do you have an idea how much will a typical heath insurance costs? And is it common that a health insurance covers consultation fee for normal illness such as fever and cough?

With that contract, not as good as the permanent position, theRe will be no housing allowance. Do you think I can get a room in a shared 2-room (or even 3-room) apartment with 150-200 kd easily at Salmiya/Hawally?

That's my story today  ;)

Heng

they have offered me a position with 1-year contract where several fixed payments will be made over time. Nothing else will be covered.

tbh i never heard of a permanent position; all contracts as far as i am aware are renewable for different periods, for example when i worked at UASC my residency was initially done for 3 years, when i owrked for Alghanim it was done 1 year first, then after you complete it they give you the option of renewing for 2 years, the only thing that is good for is not giving oyu a hassle when you have to renew your residency, in that if you want ot travel to the gulf states they require you to have at least 3 months validity on your residency. your contract is for an indefinite period of time anyway, it automatically renews.

Do you have an idea how much will a typical heath insurance costs? And is it common that a health insurance covers consultation fee for normal illness such as fever and cough?

yes, yes i do :P a decent healthy insurance coverage will run you around 200-300KD per year, where you pay 10% of the bill, whether its consultation, medicine, Xray etc. ofcourse you get the normal cover at public hospitals where you pay 2KD or something, but the lines are long.

Do you think I can get a room in a shared 2-room (or even 3-room) apartment with 150-200 kd easily at Salmiya/Hawally?

Yes, it is possible. there are even studio apartments in that range where you can still maintain privacy.

sorry to hear they reneged on their end "/

Thanks a lot Ayman. I hope we can hang out sometimes after I come to Kuwait. You are really a living Encyclopedia  :top::one

Dear Heng,

I am from a moving company. I can help you clear your stuff from the port to your door.

Let me know if you are looking for logistics services.

Best regards
Sanjay

Welcome to kuwait
KISR building is located next to the main campus of kuwait university and the Sabah area medical centers so the traffic is always jammed by students, healthcare workers and students.

I think the you should get an initial accommodation in somewhere near this area to avoid the traffic hassle .. Farwaniya and adjacent areas are best. Short distance to work and cheaper rents than salmiya.
I work in that area too but live in my family home (I am Kuwaiti) in the south of Kuwait but most of my colleagues are renting in Farwaniya.
The avenues grand mall is not far from that area so you don't have to drive all the way to salmiya for fun.
Also I enjoy the beach at sharq mall(not far from kisr area) and you have the free trade zone next to kuwait university with some cafes and a beach view.
Good luck

Thank you very much, Ama2015, for another tips.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Off topic - Please participate on the thread only if you have something to share
Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : As free advertising is not allowed on the forum, please kindly drop an advert in the following section: Housing in Kuwait

I think one room apartment is good for you and Salmiya is awesome  :D

If possible get a car license (but it cost 600kd) and the cars and fuel here are very cheap.

Dear friend,

Since you prefer Salmiya, you can get a room with attached bathroom for 120 to 140 KD.
With regards to transport is concerned it will cost you around 50 to 60 KD.